deal alert. tent pins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deal alert. tent pins.

I found a smoking deal on military tent pins. These are great alternative to the ones that come with the Kodak Canvas tent. They are great 5/8x12" and are in new condition. I ordered 18 @ $1.79 each. Total $32.22 shipped to my door. If you have a Kodak, this is a good chance to upgrade your stakes
    http://www.unclesamsretailoutlet.com...Pin-p/2514.htm
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: deal alert. tent pins.

Thanks for the heads up... I just placed an order for 20 tent stakes. (Direct result of your post.)
    Phil
    Group: Canvas
    Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
    Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

If any one else orders, I just got a 20% off coupon code. Post up if you want it.

Comment

Got my tent pins in today. Pretty quick shipping and they look like they have never been used. First time buying from that website, but I would buy from them again.

Comment

Damn. Sold out.

Comment

Guys, We are the manufacturer of those tent pins. We make those for the U.S. Military. I am not familiar with this website, but those were probably purchased as military surplus to be sold at those prices. That is a very expensive pin to make. It is made from high alloy steel and then heat treated to make them super hard and tough. They are designed to be used in frozen ground. You guys got a great deal on them at that price. It cost a lot more than 1.79 each to make them. We can't compete with those surplus prices, but if anyone else is interested in these stakes, we have them in stock (about 20,000 of them) for immediate shipment. You can order them here...... http://www.monkindustries.com/produc...products_id=54 Also we are a sponsor of the forum.
            www.monkindustries.com

Comment

My order arrived today, one week to the day since placing my order. My scale indicates 1 pound, 1 ounce per peg, very heavy duty, makes me wish I ordered more. This was an outstanding deal/price for Monk Industries product... NSN: 8340-00-823-7451.
              Phil
              Group: Canvas
              Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
              Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

I made up some stakes that may work for others. I was setting up on a packed gravel area once, and my regular stakes weren't up to it at all. I went to the lumber yard and bought 12" spikes (huge nails), and a flat washer for each one (3/8" I believe), took them to the local friendly welder and had him tack the washers on under the head of the spikes. They aren't hardened, but drove into the packed gravel easily with a small 2lb sledge hammer. I think they'd probably go into asphalt also.
                Last edited by Malamute; 12-26-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
                  ...12" spikes (huge nails), and a flat washer for each one...
                  That struck me as pretty funny seeing someone else mention those. Every time I see the final cost of the hardened tent pegs - especially after shipping figured in - I can't justify the cost when I know those spikes will do the job for under a buck a piece. I've been using 'em to put up larger tarps for years. The soil in Western Maryland is rocky as hell and I've never had a problem driving 'em in. I also thought about tack welding the washers on but never bothered, if only because they pack down a little bit smaller when the washers are separate.

Comment

I'm always good for entertainment value if nothing else. :D

Comment

I thought about this but figured they would start rusting out on the first use. Any problem with that?
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

James - just make sure you get galvanized spikes. I've got some that have been laying in the bed of my truck for probably a year+ and they've yet to rust.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          James - just make sure you get galvanized spikes. I've got some that have been laying in the bed of my truck for probably a year+ and they've yet to rust.
                          That is what I was looking at but was worried about the galvanized coating coming off but if you are using them in rocky country I guess that isn't an issue.
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

To be honest, I've never looked at one close enough to see if they have any rust on 'em. They might have some tiny spots here and there. But, the best part about 'em is that they're cheap. If one does happen to rust enough to become an issue or get damaged somehow, you're only out like 80¢ or so - and they're readily available at any Big Box store or any decent hardware store.

Comment

I guess it depends on what you mean by "rust out". They may get rusty when not used, but I doubt they would actually be damaged. You could paint them, whatever wore off from use would likely be kept fairly clean from use. You can clean them up with steel wool or sandpaper if you wanted and needed to.

I live in pretty dry country. I discovered mine in the back of my old truck (with shell). They haven't been used since about '07 and didn't have any rust on them that I noticed.

I've not seen galvy spikes. I don't think anyone in this area carries them.

Comment

Working...
                              X