Good plug-in space heater for tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good plug-in space heater for tent?

I'm aware of the Mr Heater line of portable propane heaters. Does anyone have recommendations for a space heater for tent camping with electricity?

I'm considering the following because I've had good experience with their fans, and the model has good safety features.

http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-VH110-...dp/B005JB1M16/

But am open to other recommendations...

...oh, the tent is 10 X 10 with straight walls and high roof.
    Last edited by yogiyoda; 10-27-2013, 06:46 PM. Reason: give tent specs

Re: Good plug-in space heater for tent?

I did some research last winter on heating options for my large canvas tent. I did not buy the Vornado, but I heard a lot of good things about them from people that used them. I heard that they can really hear up a large area, they don't get hot to the touch, and they had a shut- off feature if they get knocked down

Comment

I'll admit to be the ultimate skeptic, but the reviews on Amazon for that heater include too many durability issues for my taste. I'm sure that having a fan is a big plus, but for camping I would tend to go with something more durable. My first thought was a ceramic heater because they're small, put out a good amount of heat and typically well-built.

Comment

Who tent camps with electricity? I would recommend a wood stove. You will never run out of fuel, works anywhere, and is carbon neutral.

Comment

Mike, thanks. Were those testimonials online or people you have met in person?

MacGyver, yes I saw some of the bad reviews too. Overall reviews seemed pretty good. Seems like there are always some bad reviews for a product once there are enough. There was one person complaining about the unit smoking tough. This wouldn't be good in a tent :eek: Is there any particular model of ceramic heater you recommend?

ppines, there are lots of good locations with electricity in my neck of the woods. I take it that things are different out west. A wood stove really wouldn't be practical in my situation.

Comment

Yogi - I may have recommended that type of heater too hastily. The one I used to have was a small cube with a metal housing that put out a good amount of heat. But that was years ago (from the 80s) and I lost my head. I forgot that almost no one makes anything out of metal anymore. I did some online shopping, trying to find something similar and they're all plastic now - and almost all seem prone to melting. I know we're a society that just throws products away now when they break, but I can't for the life of me understand how a 1500 watt heater could be made to be durable with a plastic housing.

Radiator heaters put out a ton of heat - AND they're still metal. I use two Delonghi radiators to heat my entire basement. But they're huge so, unless you've got a lot of room in your vehicle and your tent, that's probably not a great option for camping

Comment

I use a Soleus reflective radiant heater that oscillates in both my tent and my trailer. My tent is 7' x 8' and 5' tall

Very lightweight. I like that it goes as low as 400 watt. http://www.soleusair.com/hr3_08_21.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	hr3_08_21_sm2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	69816
              I supplement it in the trailer with a teeny 200 watt one that I put on my side of the bed
              http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Prod...eater/16503222
              that I use under my desk at work when not camping.
              Last edited by actad; 10-29-2013, 08:21 AM.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X