Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heat Treated Stakes for hard or rocky ground...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Treated Stakes for hard or rocky ground...

I just got off the phone with someone complaining about the cheap stakes that came with their new tent. In hard rocky ground, these are useless. The number one question we get is "do you make a stake for hard ground?"

I always recommend the stake we make for the military. It is a 12" stake that is made from alloy steel then heat treated to make it super hard. In the hardest soil, it will not bend or break.

If you are camping in hard rocky soil, this might save you some frustration.

http://www.monkindustries.com/produc...qq9l0k0eo1cno0

We are a sponsor of the forum and we appreciate all the forum members who have ordered stakes from us!

Thank You,
    Kermit
    Last edited by Monk Industries, Inc.; 10-29-2013, 07:16 AM.
    www.monkindustries.com

Re: Heat Treated Stakes for hard or rocky ground...

Those stakes look seriously nice. And seriously heavy duty.

Comment

Glad to have a USA manufacturer of high quality tent stakes. How many countries can claim that?!

Monk stakes are on my dream list for my heavyweight canvas tents. Maybe one year I will find them under the Christmas tree!

You know, Monk tent stakes are reasonably priced. They are under a buck each. Of course, shipping will increase that cost, but you are still talking about owning something world-class for not a lot of money
      Last edited by Mike; 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

My grandfather owns a small business that deals strictly with the hardening and softening of metals with heat. When I was little I just thought all metal hard, now I know there is a wide spectrum of "hardness". :cool:
        sigpic

Comment

Moss you are correct. There are many different levels of hardness. These military stakes are Rockwell 40-48C on the hardness scale. That is hard! These stakes were designed by the U.S. military to be used in frozen soil. They are the toughest stake you can buy.

We sent many thousands of these to Afghanistan. The army also uses these stakes and our regular 18" military stakes in hard sand. The red stakes in the photo are our stakes.Click image for larger version

Name:	010926-F-3961R-013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	69811
          Last edited by Monk Industries, Inc.; 10-28-2013, 06:45 AM.
          www.monkindustries.com

Comment

Originally posted by Monk Industries, Inc. View Post
            Moss you are correct. There are many different levels of hardness. These military stakes are Rockwell 40-48C on the harness scale. That is hard! These stakes were designed by the U.S. military to be used in frozen soil. They are the toughest stake you can buy.

We sent many thousands of these to Afghanistan. The army also uses these stakes and our regular 18" military stakes in hard sand. The red stakes in the photo are our stakes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]4383[/ATTACH]
            The 16 year old part of my brain can't stop giggling at this.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

The part about using them in winter intrigues me because I winter camp often - in snow, on frozen ground

Last season, I couldn't get the Coleman brand stakes out of the frozen ground. I really bashed them up by whacking them back and forth to loosen them.

Any suggestions on how to pull frozen stakes that are hard frozen into the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Any suggestions on how to pull frozen stakes that are hard frozen into the ground?
                This is just the kind of thing that prompted me to start carrying a micro torch.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro Torch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	69814
                Not really a viable option for backpacking, but a nice useful tool if you're camping from a car or truck.
                Last edited by MacGyver; 10-26-2013, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Mac

What kind of micro torch do you like?

Thanks
                  When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                  Six hundred pounds of sin
                  Was grinning at my window
                  All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

I like the one in the picture I posted, which is sold at Harbor Freight. There are more expensive options out there but that one's cheap and I haven't had an issue with mine for years.

Comment

I use Monk Ind 12" stakes with my Kodiak tent, these are by far the best tent stakes I have ever used. If I ever sell my tent, I'll keep the Monk stakes and give the buyer the stakes that came with the tent.
                      I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        You know, Monk tent stakes are reasonably priced. They are under a buck each. Of course, shipping will increase that cost
                        I almost purchased some Monk Stakes before. Seemed like a good value until shipping was calculated. Any way to get around the high shipping costs? Like buying locally?
                        Last edited by yogiyoda; 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Time Camper View Post
                          I use Monk Ind 12" stakes with my Kodiak tent, these are by far the best tent stakes I have ever used. If I ever sell my tent, I'll keep the Monk stakes and give the buyer the stakes that came with the tent.
                          Well, if they an upgrade from the Kodiak stakes they must be pretty tough. The stakes that came with my Kodiak were very heavy duty.
                          Last edited by yogiyoda; 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yogiyoda View Post
                            Well, if they an upgrade from the Kodiak stakes they must be pretty tough. The stakes that came with my Kodiak where very heavy duty.
                            The stakes that came with the Kodiak Flexbow tent are about 3/8”, the Monk Ind stakes are 5/8”. The factory stakes don’t come close to the quality of the heavy duty stakes from Monk. I use a 5lb sludge hammer. Here is a link.
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-12-pack-of-12-long-HEAVY-DUTY-Tent-Pegs-stakes-spike-/171156216273?pt=Outdoor_Toys_Structures_US&hash=it em27d9b499d1
                            I’m a self-made man, I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Comment

They should have used those to hold King Kong down.

Comment

Working...
                              X