Group camp outings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group camp outings

I'd like to try to get my family and some friends together for a group camp sometime this fall. All together probably between 15-20 people & 6-7 tents. Some of them are experienced campers, but most of them are not. I was just wondering if anybody has experience with organizing a group like this and if you have any tips for it (if I'm actually able to make it happen).

Re: Group camp outings

I just organized a trip like that so I can tell you that getting a large group of people together can be a tricky endeavor. Knowing that most of the group will be first-timers, might add a degree of difficulty to that. Not knowing what kind of camping you're looking to do, I'll keep this short and simple.

I found Facebook to be invaluable in getting things together. I started a private conversation and invited everyone to join in the planning. The first thing I wanted to know was the exact number of people, tents and vehicles that were going to make sure we got a site that would accommodate everyone. One thing that popped up as important was to find out how many young children and pets were going. They require special attention and it was good to know that we had a dog and couple of very young children going. Beyond that, I let everyone's input in the Facebook conversation tell me what all I needed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rajncajn View Post
      I'd like to try to get my family and some friends together for a group camp sometime this fall. All together probably between 15-20 people & 6-7 tents. Some of them are experienced campers, but most of them are not. I was just wondering if anybody has experience with organizing a group like this and if you have any tips for it (if I'm actually able to make it happen).
      I have a LOT of experience organizing groups. My suggestion is to invite about ten times more people than you want to come because in the end less than 10% of invited actually show up for caming and outdoor stuff

The more adventurous the trip, the fewer people will actually show

Comment

Having been the 'contact guy' for our annual motorcycle rally and camping meet for a few years, I always did the following:
        Start a list of who's coming, number of people in their 'party'/family, and how they'd be camping - tent, RV/TT or other.
        I'd provide them with any pertinent maps.
        When they arrived, they'd sign a waiver to protect our home group (and moi!) against any legal action if they are injured. Being the nature of offroad motorcycle riding, we had one feller break his ankle once, another broke a tooth!.
        In a group camp, you will also want to provide them a basic list of things they NEED to bring. They may show up thinking you will provide the gear! Depending on the nature of the camp, maybe tell them what NOT to bring! If there's no 'services' they don't need to bring any plug-in electric gadgets, for instance. Let them know what 'bathroom' conditions will be like. Some folks simply don't like the idea of roughing it without a toilet and shower.
        Think about the gear you'll need for cooking and dining for the group. Food storage and selection. Any 'special needs' for foods? Diabetic and celiac sufferers can't eat what the rest of the group likes. Have a good first aid kit handy, and the knowledge to use it. Have emergency comms available.

Well, that's a good start.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Here's how I look at it, I enjoy doing activities with a group of people, but I still want my space. I have a girlfriend and we go camping together often, sometimes we invite family and friends sometimes family and friends invite us.

Here's the catch I enjoy children, but I don't have my own. When camping with others often I will rent my site away from the group, not miles away, but maybe 75-100 yards. That way when I want some space I can simply walk over to my separate site. Plus let's face it, family and friends don't always get along for the entire stretch of the trip, so having some cool off space for everyone is not a bad idea. If the kids are napping or someone is sick, people have another option of a site to hang out. State parks are normally pretty affordable, pick a section and invite families to join you, possibly organize families two to a site to save money. You don't necessarily need a "Group Site"

Another thing, take the camping list from REI and knock it down to the bare basics for people and add it to the invite.

Not everyone has to sit down to dinner at the same time, I always make sure one big meal is planned and shared. It's a camping trip let it be casual, I can't stand vacations/trips with a person carrying an itinerary and watching the clock. :cool:
          sigpic

Comment

Give a packing list, but don't try to pack for everybody and don't try to plan for all the stuff you think other people will forget

If you do that, you turn yourself from group organizer to unpaid under-appreciated guide

Delegate stuff like meal planning and organization, games/activities, etc. with members of other families share the fun/burden of work

Have a plan B in case of rain, etc. of course, just packing up and going home is an option, but if there are local museums or petting zoos or things like that, you can rescue the event from calamity or being aborted.
            Last edited by Mike; 10-09-2013, 10:51 AM.

Comment

This a good discussion. I have been planning trips since the 1960s. The most important thing in a camping trip is inviting the right people that can get along with each other. When Moss talks about people needing to cool off, that is my worst nightmare.

I just went on a canoe trip with 6 people and 2 dogs. Another person volunteered to lead the trip. That was a mistake. We had some logistical problems in getting everyone to the put-in at around the same time, deciding where to camp, etc. The guy had trouble getting his canoes to stay on a roof rack and when I stopped to help him he says "I can't talk about it." Canoeing is an example of a team sport even more than car camping. It is very helpful if people buy into the group mentality. When it is time to make camp, focus on the group first like setting up a table and breaking out the stove and cooking gear, building a fire, etc. Then people can set up their tents and bedding. I had an old friend in the bow of my Old Town from 1951. He is an avid backpacker, group thinker and a hard worker. He does not complain either, but had no canoeing experience. It was a real pleasure to paddle with someone with all of those attributes and I told him so.

Comment

When I group camp, normally, I'm the "Charlene in Charge".

I make of list of required by all equipment(tent, sleeping gear, etc) and email it out. Then ask "accessory"questions like who has what kinda cooler, car sizes/alternative transport; cooking equipment, games, lights...the usual. Everyone has a turn at clean up and other mundane chores. Mostly I do the cooking because I enjoy it.
                I try to give people an idea of what's available for day trips and attempt to get a consensus in advance; internet is great for this.
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-10-2013, 01:42 PM.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  I have a LOT of experience organizing groups. My suggestion is to invite about ten times more people than you want to come because in the end less than 10% of invited actually show up for caming and outdoor stuff

The more adventurous the trip, the fewer people will actually show
                  I have done a lot of group trips. Many people cancel last minute. Make decisions early on and stick with your decisions. Don't be democratic and take votes. Planyor destinations and itineries with a few leaders then invite the people. Make as few changes as possible. Be rigid on the days and destinations. Be flexible with camp activities and meals. As the organizer you are there to help people. It's fun!
                  Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
                    I have done a lot of group trips. Many people cancel last minute. Make decisions early on and stick with your decisions. Don't be democratic and take votes. Planyor destinations and itineries with a few leaders then invite the people. Make as few changes as possible. Be rigid on the days and destinations. Be flexible with camp activities and meals. As the organizer you are there to help people. It's fun!
                    Good suggestion. If you start moving dates around to accommodate a few, you will lose others AND often the folks you move dates for won't show up anyway.

The best way to plan a trip is to plan it for yourself and invite others to join you. Send them a copy of your packing list. Make one or more dinners "pot luck" so you don't have to spend time and energy figuring that out. So what if you end up with ten types of desert and nothing else.

I have a list - literally an email-ready list of over 100 people who say, 'oh, you do such cool stuff. Please invite me on your next trip". The list keeps growing, but in the end it is always the same ten or fifteen people that show up. The others keep asking to be invited on the next trip and never show.

So, try to avoid being a trip marketer. If you get five people who come or 100 people who come, same deal. If it looks like you will have a big group for sure, reserve a group campsite for a couple bucks more. If you aren't sure, tell the group which campground and how to make reservations.

For certain, don't spend your own money making reservations and preparations for other people.

Comment

Some very, very good advice from all. I'm hoping that next month sometime we can attempt this. This past weekend we did invite my in-laws, who joined us for one night & another couple who couldn't make it. My MIL was miserable, she just isn't the outdoorsy type. Too hot, too humid, too many bugs, too dirty, too much trouble (even though we provided/set up everything for them)... However, my FIL had a blast and said he wished he could go all the time. Maybe when it gets a bit cooler here she will have a better time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        Good suggestion. If you start moving dates around to accommodate a few, you will lose others AND often the folks you move dates for won't show up anyway.

The best way to plan a trip is to plan it for yourself and invite others to join you. Send them a copy of your packing list. Make one or more dinners "pot luck" so you don't have to spend time and energy figuring that out. So what if you end up with ten types of desert and nothing else.

I have a list - literally an email-ready list of over 100 people who say, 'oh, you do such cool stuff. Please invite me on your next trip". The list keeps growing, but in the end it is always the same ten or fifteen people that show up. The others keep asking to be invited on the next trip and never show.

So, try to avoid being a trip marketer. If you get five people who come or 100 people who come, same deal. If it looks like you will have a big group for sure, reserve a group campsite for a couple bucks more. If you aren't sure, tell the group which campground and how to make reservations.

For certain, don't spend your own money making reservations and preparations for other people.
                        This is pretty much the route I planned to go. Just let several folks know when we plan to go and if they are definitely interested, give them the option of letting me set up their reservations if needed or set them up for themselves. I also have a pretty good list of possible items to bring that I can provide them if they need it. I doubt that we'll ever have more than 10 or so groups going, if even that many.

Comment

This is pretty much the route I planned to go. Just let several folks know when we plan to go and if they are definitely interested, give them the option of letting me set up their reservations if needed or set them up for themselves. I also have a pretty good list of possible items to bring that I can provide them if they need it. I doubt that we'll ever have more than 10 or so groups going, if even that many.
                          If you make reservations for other people, use THEIR credit card. Based on my experience, if you make reservations for others and they are a "no-show", they will think that they don't have to pay for the reservations you made for them because they did not show up. Best yet is to let people take care of their own reservations. Tell them where your campsite is and let them arrange to be as close or as far away from you as they wish.

Comment

Some very, very good advice from all. I'm hoping that next month sometime we can attempt this. This past weekend we did invite my in-laws, who joined us for one night & another couple who couldn't make it. My MIL was miserable, she just isn't the outdoorsy type. Too hot, too humid, too many bugs, too dirty, too much trouble (even though we provided/set up everything for them)... However, my FIL had a blast and said he wished he could go all the time. Maybe when it gets a bit cooler here she will have a better time.
                            Don't worry about your mother-in-law. People don't change their spots so much when they go camping. I find that people who are pleasant in their home environment are pleasant in the camping environment. People who complain about every trivial thing when camping usually complain about every trivial thing at home.

If your father-in-law enjoyed his camping experience this time, just wait until he gets to leave grumpy grandma home and go camping without her. You might not be able to get him back home!

Last edited by Mike; 10-15-2013, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X