First night in the Limelight 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First night in the Limelight 3

Well my son and I just got back from our Webelos weekend for Cub Scouts. This was a statewide get together they do for Webelos every two years. I didn't know what to expect going in, but I should have had a better idea when I heard there would be 4,000 scouts there (plus all the parents that come). Our "campground" was a field that was roughly 75 yards wide by about 500 yds long. Tents were just stacked next to each other. Plus there were three other of these "campgrounds", so that gives you an idea of how many people were there. This was taken fairly early in the day, before everyone was there.

Here's a pic of that nightmare.

There was a good variety of tents there. Lots of cheap junkers, but lots of decent tents as well. In fact, one of the guys in our group brought his new Hilleberg.

The weather was cold and rainy. It rained all afternoon and into the evening. Then it cleared out a bit right around bedtime, but then started raining again overnight. But the Limelight 3 stayed dry and cozy. Here's a pic of it in the concentration camp.

I really like this tent. Setup is a breeze, quality of construction is great. I was a bit concerned this morning. The inside of the rainfly was covered with water droplets(but the inside of the tent was completely dry). So at first I thought that maybe it was leaking, but then I realized it was just condensation, as the poles were all covered with the same sized droplets. I checked the Hilleberg this morning, and it was also covered on the inside.

The most memorable part of the trip was during the night. I had just returned to my sleeping bag after relieving my bladder. Then I heard one of the kids in the tent right next to us(the grey one in the picture, just behind and to the left of mine) puke inside the tent! I got to hear the whole ordeal. NASTY!!

Here's the Hilleberg. They are definitely a step above other tents as far as materials go. But for what most of us use tents for, it's pretty hard to justify the cost. This guy goes on hunting expeditions in Alaska, Colorado, Wyoming, etc. so I can see why he wanted one.

Re: First night in the Limelight 3

I just picked up one yesterday afternoon. Does the tent come with enough stakes and guy lines for a total setup? I am planning on a test setup this week, hopefully a test run this weekend.
    Did yours come with a footprint?
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
      I just picked up one yesterday afternoon.
      Why did you get another tent? Are you using your canvas tent for one purpose, and the Marmot for another?
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
        Why did you get another tent? Are you using your canvas tent for one purpose, and the Marmot for another?
        Kodiak will be for multi day trips with the whole family. When I take all my gear with me.
        Marmot will be for quick overnighters. Or when my daughter wants to go backpacking with me.
        Eno hammock and tarp will be for when it is just me.

Starting to think tents are going to be like jackets. Not a one size fits all. Hope to get the total night camping up next year. Looks like it will be just over 2 weeks this year.

Comment

Yes it came with a footprint and storage loft. It came with plenty of stakes and the guy lines. I guess I don't know how many guy lines there are. I haven't used them yet, but I believe there are 4.

Comment

Great looking tent! Love the yellow and gray combo. I'm waiting on a Limelight 2 to arrive. I got the green version. Not my favorite, but the price made it impossible to be picky! And, it's a backpacking tent, so I guess the green is more "politically correct" in the back country. What do I know?

I think you'll need a total of 6 guylines for the Limelight 3 -- one at each corner and then two short ones to pull the bottom of the fly out on the two non-vestibule ends. Those last two would help a LOT with ventilation and condensation as those really open up the airflow to the low vents. It probably comes with enough plain black paracord for at least short guylines on most of those. Might have to get a little bit to rig up the two short ones down low.

Comment

I'm just glad nobody puked in the brand new Hilleberg or Marmot! That would take a lot of the luster off a fancy new tent!

-------

My little $110 Limelight 2 showed up today. So, I had to pitch it in the living room! Cute little tent. Sure wouldn't want to put two people in it, but it's a perfect solo tent. Just under 6 pounds with all the hang tags, plastic bags, stuff sacks, footprint, gear loft, and the factory supplied stakes and guy lines.

Mine came with 11 stakes and 5 guylines. Enough to stake the four corners of the tent, a guyline and stake for each of the four corners, a stake for the front vestibule, a stake for the rear pullout at the bottom, and a stake/guyline for the guy point at the top of the back (no back vestibule on the Limelight 2). It did not come with stakes for guy lines for the two low pullouts, one on each end. Those are actually the first place I would guy the tent -- go figure. I'm going to use reflective guy lines instead of the black stuff from the factory and I've got plenty of stakes....

Comment

Despite the congestion I'm sure your son (and all the other similar aged kiddos) enjoyed the sense of community.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Got my little Limelight 2 all rigged up with guy lines, stakes, etc. Went back in the stuff sack easily. Real world honest weight, complete with everything ready to lash onto the pack: 5 pounds, 14 ounces, including stuff sacks (for the pole, stakes, and tent), footprint, gear loft, 12 stakes, all the guylines attached, plus six extra ultra light guy lines (two each: 3 feet, 6 feet, 8 feet), and a pole repair splice tube. Realistically, I could have probably spent two or three times more and saved 1 pound fully outfitted with a tent that wouldn't be as roomy or as solid in the weather.

The big knock on the Limelight 2 is that it only has one door and one vestibule (compared to something like the REI Half Dome 2, which has two), but I'm using it as a one-man solo tent, so that's actually better/lighter for my purposes. This thing is a great size for one.

My plan is to use it for overnight backpacking trips, mostly to some of the backcountry tent sites in the White Mountains where there are tent platforms perched on the side of hills like this one:

Might take some creativity to even get the tent anchored down and I figure a few extra lengths of line are probably a worth carrying a few ounces.

I've got everything pretty much sorted out to give it a whirl except for deciding what do about bears and food. Haven't decided between a bear bag and a bear cannister. Looks like the cannister is infinitely less hassle, but more weight to carry. I don't know if I'll get a trial run this fall or not. All of these sites are officially "closed" right now (whatever that means) and I'd need a little bit of a warm spell.

I'm thinking: drive to the mountains, half day hike, camp overnight, half day hike, drive home. It'll open up some nice hikes that are just a little too long for me to do as day hikes.
                  Last edited by hwc1954; 10-13-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

I have never seen tent pad planks like that. How do you use them? How do you anchor guy lines and tent floor pegs?

Comment

There are metal eyebolts in the outside edge of the tent platforms. Anchoring to those or to nearby trees and rocks is why I think it will be handy to have a few extra lengths of guyline. Might have to guy from the tent floor stake loops at the four corners out to the edge of the platform. Or, be able to extend the fly guylines. It looks like it may be possible to wedge tent pegs in between the floorboards of the platforms. I would not want to take my chances with an unanchored tent in the White Mountains.

These are very small camping areas. Usually between 2 and 10 of these tent platforms, often surrounding an open log shelter where a group can camp.

Comment

wow, that looks like a very pretty area right on the lake! How many miles do you have to hike to get there? Is there any other development on that lake or is it pristine?

I have never seen tents set up in a lean-to, but it looks like an effective way to claim real-estate. I have had to share lean-to space with never-met-before never-care-to-meet-again people and wished at that time I had a tent. A tent INSIDE the shelter is brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          wow, that looks like a very pretty area right on the lake! How many miles do you have to hike to get there? Is there any other development on that lake or is it pristine?
                          That lake site will probably be my first backpacking trip. It's a pretty easy hike and one of the most popular of the backcountry sites in the White Mountains. You can get to it from one direction with a 1.5 mile hike. But, I'll probably do it from the Kancamagus Highway. Looks like about 5 miles each way. Flat.

Here's a photo blog from the editor of the AMC Guide to the White Mountains. He hiked in the short way.

http://mountainwandering.blogspot.co...-hazy-and.html

Most of the tent sites are partway up fairly steep mountain trails. Hard first day. Camp. Longer, but mostly downhill hike the second day, picking up tent on the way back down. I want to do North Kinsman. It's 3.5 miles and 2200 feet of elevation gain to the tentsite shelter, then less than a mile to the peak, so an easier 5 mile mostly downhill day the second day. The whole loop would be a brutal day hike for me. By breaking it up, I could take my sweet time on the hard climb the first day.

There is absolutely no development around any of these tentsites/shelters. All in national forests. Very rugged terrain. Many of the tentsites have composting outhouse. Some of them are run by the AMC, have a summer caretaker, and charge $8 a night. Some of these are just there. The advantage is that it is hard to find a flat clear area to pitch a tent in a lot of these places.

Comment

Hey Gdawg,
                            Got a question for you. I just set up my Limelight. Is your orange pole bent kinda funny? Mine is. I don't know if it is supposed to be that way, or if I need to return it.
                            Also, I saw a tip on backpacking. Changing out the tent bag and using an aftermarket stuff sack. Basically to save space in a pack. Carry the poles outside of the pack. I think I am going to try this.

Comment

My crosspole on the Limelight 2 has a small intentional bend in the center where it goes across the top of the tent. From looking at the high rez version fo this setup video, it sure looks like the Limelight 3 browpole also has an intentional bend:

Comment

Working...
                              X