Hanging items inside the tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging items inside the tent

This may seem like a simple question, but I can't seem to come up with a viable solution. My tent has no built-in method of storing items inside the tent such as a dome hammock or side pockets, nor does it have any means that I can tell for attaching any clips to the roof or interior sides of the tent. I'd like to be able to just hang a small, lightweight bag or article of clothing when I want it to be easily accessed, yet still out of the way.

Re: Hanging items inside the tent

Hard to imagine a tent that doesn't have any loops in the ceiling, but you can always add your own:

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Designs.../dp/B0017TFPTO

These grip clips sandwich the tent fabric between two pieces, giving you a loop to attach to. I use a couple on the underside of my Kelty tarp to hang stuff.

This size is good for standard nylon or polyester tent fabrics. If you need something larger or smaller (say for a canvas tent), this company sells several varieties:

http://www.shelter-systems.com/grip-clips.html

Comment

Another approach is a pair of magnets, one on the inside of the tent and another on the outside, sandwiching the material in between. I've see tent light that attach this way.

A trip to the hardware store for a magnetic hook and a matching magnet for the outside should make this a pretty easy DIY project.

Comment

what brand/type of tent do you have?
        surprised it doesnt have something,
        even my $30 has a mesh pouch,
        also many fabric tents have a vent hole somewhere at the top,
        i would double check for a vent hole,

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
          Another approach is a pair of magnets, one on the inside of the tent and another on the outside, sandwiching the material in between. I've see tent light that attach this way.

A trip to the hardware store for a magnetic hook and a matching magnet for the outside should make this a pretty easy DIY project.
          I've a few pieces of equipment that work successfully with that concept. Just make sure you get magnets that match or exceed the weight of the item you want to hang. Prolly weatherproofing the exterior magnet in some manner would be a good idea as well...

Like others, I'm wondering what manufacturer and model tent you have.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have the Coleman Montana, and my mistake, it does have a couple of small pouches on the walls, but still not really what I'm after. Hwc1954 hit the nail with the fabric clips though. I can take those and hook anything I like from them. I'm an organizational nut, so a handful of those will work perfect for things like hooks to hang lightweight jackets, a small trash bag or a toiletry kit.

Comment

I use a gear loft that I can easily reach while lying down. Cellphone/alarm clock and headlamp in one pouch. Glasses in a second pouch. Flashlight hanging from one hook. And, then an assortment of fleece (cap, balaclava, gloves, and socks) that I can add or subtract as necessary through the night.

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                I use a gear loft that I can easily reach while lying down. Cellphone/alarm clock and headlamp in one pouch. Glasses in a second pouch. Flashlight hanging from one hook. And, then an assortment of fleece (cap, balaclava, gloves, and socks) that I can add or subtract as necessary through the night.
                In ours, we have one one pouch on either side of the tent. Me and the wife on one side and the kids on the other. Ours holds our flashlights, cell phones and keys Theirs has their flashlights, books etc. My idea is to have a hook to hang a long sleeve shirt or jacket for each close to the door for an easy grab, a place to hang a shopping bag to throw trash away inside and another to hang our bag that we use for going to the bathroom. I would also like to be able to put a loft up. I have one from an old tent, but didn't have a way to put it up without having to sew something in.

Comment

Not a hanging item, but I just found a product that has been great for organization of all that stuff that has to go from my desk to my car to my back pack or my tent for hiking -- extra eyeglasses, ipod, headphones, cellphone, camera, GPS, Garmin watch and heart rate monitor strap. It was driving my nuts trying to corral it all as loose items.

I tried a small cardboard box, but it wasn't that easy to grab and carry and not that secure. A stuff sack didn't work because the stuff just ended up in a tangle. So I got a couple of these Kelty cache boxes:

http://www.kelty.com/p-724-cache-box.aspx

Zipper boxes with movable dividers and some solid protection top and bottom. The medium one has all the camping flashlights and batteries and caribiners to clip flashlights to stuff. It gets packed in the tent/tarp duffel so it's immediately handy in case I have to set up camp in the dark. Once the tent is up, it goes to the tent. The big one has all the stuff that has to move from the house to the car or the car to the trunk for loading in the backpack or the car to the tent, including car keys and wallet. Grab it and go without having to rummage through the pockets of a tent. When I'm packing to leave home, all that stuff just has to migrate to this one box. I just put it in the front corner of the tent by the door and everything moves right back into that box. Grab it on the way to the car and I know I've got everything for a day of hiking and then back to the tent at night.

Made things much easier. Fewer outings with some piece of gear forgotten at home....

Last edited by hwc1954; 10-05-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Also not a hanging item, but at night I use a a pair of dove stools with a zippered pouch and a carry strap - similar to this and also pictured below outside the tent as a footstool and side table. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game...ool/pid-620007

Once inside, one is a secure place for eyeglasses, keys, book, and cell phone etc. and functions as a nightstand. The other is a lightweight place to sit to get dressed and functions as a toiletry bag. It works great to take right into the showerhouse, if one is available, with gear like soap, toothbrush, and clothes etc. I carry it in over my shoulder, and have a place to sit that I know is clean and dry, or I can set it on top of a bench and it keeps the gear out of any standing water.

My tent has loops inside and outside for holding the door material which work great for hanging a solar lantern or a flashlight.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by actad; 10-05-2013, 02:46 PM.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Those stools look like a nice idea.

Comment

Working...
                      X