Tent reccomendation thanks for your help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent reccomendation thanks for your help

Been doing research debating on the northface manor 8 and the Sierra annex 6+2. I don't care about weight or price rather pay few extra bucks for better quality. I do care about staying dry and comfortable. What tent would you go with or do you have any other reccomedations. Thanks in advance

Re: Tent reccomendation thanks for your help

Howdy Mr Hill and welcome. We use the REI Kingdom 6 tent, and love it. They also make it in the larger Kingdom 8. We've never had a problem with the construction of the tent, or any leakage. If properly erected it's almost bullet proof. It's a little pricy, but you indicated that wouldn't be a problem. If you watch the REI web site for their specials you can save considerable money. The Kingdom 6 is 8 1/2x10x6'2 plus the vestibule. Add the garage ($99) and you'll add another 7 feet or so. Plenty of room, and dry. I don't like to wake up wet. Happy Camping.
    Nights camping in 2013-----12
    Nights camping in 2014----- 4
    Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

We were in the same situation about a month or so ago. We were looking for a large family sized tent and also decided to spend a few bucks more to get a good one.

We had considered the REI Kingdom 8, North Face Mountain manor 8, Big Agnus Flying Diamond 8, and we also briefly considered the Kodiak and Springbar canvas tents, but decided against them due to size and weight.

We ended up getting the North Face MM8. The two biggest reason were size(it's the largest of those listed at 8' X 15') and my wife really liked the two dividers so you can make three rooms. It is large enough that we put 2 queen air mattresses in (one on each end) then have plenty of room in the center for stuff. I wasn't so sure about the ventilation setup at first but it works very well. There is a vent window down low at each end of the tent. These are great because when you are sleeping, you can open or close the vent without getting up. The materials are excellent, and it's pretty easy to put up and tear down. We haven't tested it out in any rain yet, but the rainfly covers extremely well, and makes a large vestibule on main door, and a smaller on the back door.

The Sierra Design one you mention looks like a great tent as well. We picked up the North Face tent for $450, plus I bought the footprint which was another $40 or $50. You really can't go wrong with any of the ones listed so far. It all depends on which feature matter to you most. Figure that out, and get the one that best suits your needs.

Comment

http://familytentsforcamping.net/cat...-size/8-person
        Thanks guys Ive limited down to these tents. My biggest concern is staying dry cause last camping trip I got soaked in my Hilary Cabin tent. Im looking for the best one that can handle what mother nature going to throw at it wind and rain...I thought the Northface had the most space but looks like Sierra is little bigger and thicker material and floor according to the website?... Im indescivice and need help choosing....:confused:

Comment

Your research has led you to choices that all assure quality and longevity. Full-coverage vestibules mean outstanding rain resistance and a dry interior. They are all fine tents. If price is not an issue, I'd likely go with the Sierra Designs tent since the others are paying them for royalties on features like clips and hubs that Sierra Designs patented first. I have several SD tents due to their high-production numbers, meaning great auction deals on Ebay for new-with-tags tents. Personally, I'd get a 6-man and a 4-man tent rather than one big tent, but I've had my fill of big tents and small tent setup areas. Perhaps your campsites favor McMansion tents, ours out here in the southwest don't...Remember to pick up a Buddy heater to keep the inside warm since you're using big cold air mattresses.
          Last edited by tplife; 09-11-2013, 10:39 PM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Either the North Face or the Sierra Designs tents will be a quantum leap up from the cabin tent in terms of weather protection. With the fly on, you won't get wet in either of those tents.

I doubt there is any meaningful difference in the quality of the materials.

Without really pouring over the designs, one thing that would tilt towards the North Face for me would be the venting. It has close-off vents low in the walls to pull in cool ground level air in the summer (or seal it out on a cold night). Same with sealable mesh panels on the doors. Privacy without the fly or open it up for max venting. Plus, it appears to have much better venting of the fly at the top. This is important on a wet night when you've got the fly buttoned down. A way for some ventilation to move from the bottom of the fly and out the top.

But, honestly, it's six in one half dozen in the other when you start comparing similar tents from the big name manufacturers. It boils down to little things.

Comment

It's not just the NorthFace tents that have those features. My big Sierra Designs tent has the venting on the bottom that can be adjusted to allow ground air in - the fly has straps that can be rigged raise just above the venting for that purpose. There's also a huge amount of venting in the top, that surprisingly doesn't make the tent colder in winter when the full coverage fly is down, and for the same reason the doors don't need their small amount of no-see-um mesh to be covered. I think most of these tents share these features.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Yes, I would have thought that the Sierra Designs tent would have similar venting, but from looking at the photos, the entire top half of the tent is mesh, but it looks like just one little vent in the fly at the top of the vestibule and no low venting:

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-469-yahi-annex-62.aspx

Not an issue 90% of the time. Just something to consider for camping when it is particularly hot or particularly cold. I don't actually know how effective these fly vents are, but it sure makes sense that allowing the moist air to rise and escape would help with clamminess. Of course, these 8-man tents are so big that it's probably not an issue, unless you are actually trying to put 8 people in them!

Comment

Thanks for all ur help I've decided to go with the northface manor 8 got a good deal 420 with free shipping.Now time to think about making my own footprint for it tyvek or a tarp?

Comment

Unless you are going to do something heavy duty (like rubber or something), I would just bite the bullet and buy the factory footprint for the thing. $55 for that size tent isn't too bad:

http://www.sunnysports.com/p-nfcfpmm...i_sku=NFCFPMM8

I find that it makes pitching easier because you can lay the footprint down and stake the entire tent down through the loops sewn in the footprint. Then, start putting the poles in. With tyvek or sheet plastic, you are trying to get the tent centered. Not a big deal on a two man pup tent, but you aren't going to be picking that Mountain Manor up and moving it!

Comment

Took the advice and got the footprint for the tent prob be easier to set up n less headache thanks for all your help guys

Comment

I think you'll be glad you did. Nothing worse to decide you want it three years from now and it's no longer available. The main benefit of the footprint is that it keeps the mud and sand off the bottom of the tent. It is MUCH easier to wash off the footprint when you get home. Heck you can just dunk the thing in a bathtub or a big 5 gallon bucket.

The coated nylon ripstop footprints roll up nice and small and come with their own stuff sack. That's a good thing because, at least where I camp, the footprint will almost always be wet and sandy when you break camp. It's nice not to roll it up with the tent. First thing I do when I get home is take the foot print out, drape it over the deck railing, let it dry, and shake off any sand.

Comment

Working...
                        X