Field Repair of Fiberglass Tent Poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Repair of Fiberglass Tent Poles

I keep reading about people breaking fiberglass tent poles while camping. I have not had this problem yet but I am looking for a way to temporarily repair a broken pole, just in case. I would prefer not to have to take the pole apart, restring the bungee, etc. I found this short article about using PVC pipe to repair.
    http://huntguys.com/camping-ideas/ho...ken-tent-pole/

My 2001 Kelty 9X9 has ½ inch fiberglass poles and the ferrules (joints) are slightly larger. I purchased ¾ inch Schedule 40 PVC pipe so it would slide down the pole and then be duct taped in place. I cut 3 lengths of PVC, the longest the same length as one pole section. I considered using EMT conduit but I thought the PVC might be SLIGHTLY flexible.

For a permanent repair, I would call Kelty when I returned home.

What do you think?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Oldcoyote; 09-07-2013, 01:04 PM.
    When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
    Six hundred pounds of sin
    Was grinning at my window
    All I said was, "Come on in".

Re: Field Repair of Fiberglass Tent Poles

It has aluminum poles, but my Marmot tent came with a short section of aluminum tubing with a diameter sized just big enough to slip over a broken pole and be taped into place as a splint. it's in the tent peg bag. Same approach as your PVC solution.

You can buy sleeves like this various sizes:

http://www.rei.com/product/848874/ge...nt-pole-splint

Or, they are included in most tent repair kits....

Comment

HWC
      I bought a kit at REI but the 1/2 inch splint isn't large enough to slide over the ferrule so the pole must be taken apart. The 5/8 inch size you referenced might work. Also, the splint in my kit is not very long. I hear stories of fiberglass poles with long breaks.
      Last edited by Oldcoyote; 09-07-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

When I had fiberglass poles, I used a extra tent stake and duct tape. Don't know how big of area you need to fix, but this way is an option.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Kingquad

That's a good idea.

Comment

Everyone mentioned so far is a good idea.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Although it does nothing for on-site repairs, the high dollar fix is to replace your fiberglass poles with aluminum. From what I've read online, Tent Pole Technologies seems to have a good reputation.

Comment

Tent Pole Technologies is where I ordered the replacement section for the Sierra Designs pole. I was able to order the exact length, size, color and the exact matching tip (for 50 cents it was easier to replace the tip than try to salvage the original after mangling it taking the pole apart....). Easy ordering. Fast service. Shipping was more than the cost of parts, but the whole thing ended up being about $12. Easy to repair, once if figured out how to push the cord out of the bent pole to disassemble it.

Comment

I slide a piece of any kind of tubing (hose, cane, etc) INSIDE the broken pole then tape the outside of the pole tight.

Same method I use for fixing broken ski poles

Comment

Originally posted by hwc1954 View Post
                    Tent Pole Technologies is where I ordered the replacement section for the Sierra Designs pole. I was able to order the exact length, size, color and the exact matching tip (for 50 cents it was easier to replace the tip than try to salvage the original after mangling it taking the pole apart....). Easy ordering. Fast service. Shipping was more than the cost of parts, but the whole thing ended up being about $12. Easy to repair, once if figured out how to push the cord out of the bent pole to disassemble it.
                    Sierra Designs Lifetime Warranty includes free replacement/repair of their tents, providing failure is of product and not wear or abuse, etc.. After 25 years of heavy use, a 55 MPH desert windstorm broke a half-round corner section fiberglass pole of my Base Camp 4-man Sierra Designs tent. Put the broken part in a bag, mailed it to Warranty Service, and in a few days the replacement part came, free. They replaced the broken fiberglass section with an anodized aluminum part of the same size, shape, and diameter. My only cost was the postage.
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

MacGyver

Never mind the poles, tell us about your new avatar - and the hat!

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
                        MacGyver

Never mind the poles, tell us about your new avatar - and the hat!
                        That's my picture - in the best sun hat I've found to date.
                        Available online from SunGrubbies here if anyone is interested.

Comment

I haven't tried it, but I wonder if old ski poles would be a good item to have around for tent pole repair.

Yes, I confess, I pick up old broken ski poles and I use them for parts. When I go to ski resports - especially cross country ski locations where there is a high school ski race, there will always be about a dozen discarded ski poles in or around the dumpster. Ah kids with their parents money... Usually if they damage one pole, they throw both poles away, never considering that they could use the good pole as a spare. So if you scoop up an armload of dicarded poles, you very often end up with poles that at least match in length. If it is a ski club where the taxpayer is buying the poles, sometimes the poles all match and you can get matching pairs.

I put the baskets and grips in boiling water and then pull off.

ANYWAY,,,, I wonder if you could use ski poles as tent pole repair joints. You MIGHT have to split the ski pole the in the length direction to adjust the diameter, but I bet that would work. Slide the cut ski pole "joint" over the damaged tent pole and either tape or glue. (I would tape to allow some flex).

Think about that the next time you have an old broken ski pole that is headed for the dumpster.

Comment

I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. There are any number of online metal stores where you can buy aluminum tubing in varying diameters and wall thicknesses. Measure the ferrules on your poles and buy whatever diameter tubing you need to slip over 'em.

Comment

Mac

The hat improved your thinking. Sounds like a plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X