Picked up another tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up another tent

Well we really caught the camping bug this summer. We have always enjoyed it, but just never got around to doing it. Once we started this summer, we went 4 out of 5 weekends. We bought the North Face Mountain Manor 8 a few weeks back and have used that twice. I really like that tent.

My son has a cub scout campout coming up in October, and we don't have a decent small tent, and I'm not about to bring the monster tent for two people, so I started looking around for a smaller 3 or 4 person tent. I'd like to take the family up to the Boundary Waters so I was looking for something that would work well up there. REI had quite a few good tents on sale over the past couple of weeks, plus I had a $100 gift card. I ended up getting the Marmot Limelight 3. It was on sale for $199, so I got if for $100 after the gift card.

It came today and I set it up in the living room. This is a really sweet tent. The quality of materials is very good, it's a piece of cake to setup, and it's lightweight. Looks like it should be just about hurricane proof with the fly on. Can't wait to try it out.

Re: Picked up another tent

Marmot only makes the very best in outdoor gear. If their production numbers were higher, we'd own some of their tents instead of just their sleeping bags! You won't be disappointed in this outstanding 2-person tent, full featured and choice materials and design. Enjoy.
    Last edited by tplife; 09-05-2013, 09:06 AM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The Limelight 3 looks awesome. If I were in the market for a tent that size, that's definitely one I would consider. $200 is a great price.

I have one of their tents (Halo 4), a couple of their down sleeping bags (an old Pinnacle 15 deg and an Atom 40 deg), and a ton of their clothing that I've picked up on sale here and there. Very high quality stuff and their clothing seems to fit me well.

Comment

Good to hear about Marmot. I'm very pleased with this tent, so I'll be keeping an eye on their other products as well.

We are a pretty short family. I'm only 5'5", my wife is 5'0', and the kids go down from there. When we had it set up last night, we found that we can lay across the short direction of the tent and not hit the sides(the tent is a rectangle, not square). So when we lay that direction, we can easily fit all five of us in there with plenty of room to spare. I wouldn't want to camp that way, but we had fun with it. It probably would work in an emergency though.

Comment

Oh one other thing. I have never bought anything from REI until recently. I must say that I am extremely impressed with their customer service. I ordered this tent and a sleeping bag from them(and a couple little things). The sleeping bag stated that it was supposed to come with a stuff sack. When we received it, no stuff sack. So I sent them an email letting them know we didn't get one. Within about 15 minutes, I got a reply, they said to check way at the bottom of the sleeping bag. Fair enough, so I double checked again, no stuff sack. So I replied back letting them know it wasn't there. They again got right back to me saying I had a choice of either returning the bag, or they could send me an REI sack that would fit. I didn't want to deal with the hassle of returning the bag, so they sent me the REI one right out. Very happy with them.

Comment

Look in the bottom of the large storage sack, too. My Marmot Atom sleeping bag came in a mesh storage bag. The stuff sack was buried in the bottom of that.

On being short, I started buying some Marmot stuff because they make some of their more popular pants (like the Precip rain pants, the Cruz hiking pants, and the Scree hiking pants) in SHORT lengths. I hate cuffs that drag in the mud!

Their stuff is ridiculously expensive, but, if you aren't in a hurry, you can find good deals. Sale pricing is fairly reasonable. I found some crazy deals on their stuff at TJMAXX last winter. Their 800 fill power lightweight down jacket for $99. That thing is so ridiculously comfortable that I put it on curled up on the sofa watching football in the winter. It's by far my favorite winter jacket unless it's raining or snowing. And it packs down to nothing for hiking when you need something warm in the backpack to put on when you stop. A GoreTex Pro waterproof shell jacket for $175 that I never, ever would have considered at the absurd $500 list.

It would be hard to find a better "3-person" tent than your Limelight 3 for $200, especially with the footprint and gear loft included.

Comment

Working...
            X