Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any primitive camping in Southern Indiana?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any primitive camping in Southern Indiana?

We are looking for a small campground for primitive camping in southern Indiana in September. Dispersed camping in the Hoosier National Forest is out. We will be gone a week and Hubby wants water and pit toilets. We want to hike and fish. I was looking at Yellowwood State Forest, but after a guy was shot squirrel hunting in in a DNR facility close to here and we read not to hike in Yellowwood without wearing orange during hunting season, we are looking for somewhere new.
    We are thinking about a canoe campground near Turkey Run, it is still more modern than my liking. I am dreaming of a week of seclusion. Any suggestions?

Re: Any primitive camping in Southern Indiana?

Hardy Lake has both primitive and developed sites. Has a 700 acre lake as well. During hunting season, or really in general, it is a good idea to wear high visibility clothing. High visibility clothing will help hunters see you, plus if something bad happens, you will be easier to find.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Update. We decided to leave early and leave a location to luck. We wanted to hike up to Devils Backbone at Pine Hills Nature Preserve so we checked out Shades State Park. It was perfect. I don't think this would be someplace I would like in the peak of camping season but last week there were only three other sites occupied. The hiking trails are great. This was really great. My husband was always resistant to camping has really fallen in love.

Comment

for seclusion in Indiana may I suggest a canoe trip on a river in the off-season like November. No bugs, no people, no problem. I have read several articles by buckskinners that have been very successful in having primitive experiences in your State with that plan.

Comment

Working...
        X