No announcement yet.

Current production coleman gas stoves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current production coleman gas stoves?

I pulled out the old family comelan 2 burner gas stove over the weekend and was dismayed to see that after sitting 15 years unused in the garage, it is pretty much a rust bucket..

Have been thinking about buying a new one, but some of the reviews Ive read indicate that they may not be built as well, some claim the steel used is flimsier than in the past?

thoughts on this>?

Re: Current production coleman gas stoves?

It's a piece of your family history! Restore it!

What is rusted on it? The suitcase/exterior or the grates and guts of the stove? There are youtube videos of guys showing the basics how to rebuild or strip one down and clean it. eBay is a great resource for parts and Google search you can find all kinds of resources of manuals, parts numbers and retailers.

http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/

Great resource for information, I learned alot about my lanterns from that forum/site. :cool:
    sigpic

Comment

Everything is rusted...gas tube (generator?), suitcase, burners, grate...

Unfortunately I work alot, so spending the time fixing this is a luxury I don't have (maybe when I retire in 20 years that will happen). I can either spend time and money fixing this stove and use that time and money by actually going camping...

So....Are the current production stoves worth buying or should I just stick to an older one in good condition from ebay>?

Comment

IMHO...you would be better served either rebuilding that one or finding an older one on eBay, Craigslist, garage sale, etc. I have a new dual purpose one and an old 413 from the early 60's. The old one has a larger cooking surface, is much more substantial (i.e. heavier construction), etc. My reasons for the new one was an impulse camping trip when I was 1400 miles from home (that is another story). Same can e said for the lanterns and just about any of the Coleman equip. When they elected to have their products manufactured in Asia, the quality went waaaaay down.

Moss gave you a good link to start looking for tips on how to rework what you have.

Comment

Craigslist is a good source for used gear, be sure to tweak what you search because the Craigslist search engine can leave out alot!

Good luck, with your hunt for a new stove! Let us know if you ever update the older model! :cool:
          sigpic

Comment

thanks for the replies. I went out and looked at the new stoves...pretty cheaply built, was pretty surprised at how thin the metal is.

I'll be hanging onto the one I have and eventually will get around to fixing it, but in the meantime I picked up a 425E that was still NIB from the 70s (sorry collectors).

Comment

New or old, any model 413D, with 10% more heat output at the burners, also offers 35% more cooking area than the 425D gas stove. The newer models benefit from improved gaskets and redesigned engineering. The flimsy models are the Century-type knockoff stoves, Coleman still makes the same quality stoves but with updated features...And they ain't cheap! A 413D retails for $180.00. The old models can be replaced with gaskets and orings readily available at industrial supply stores like Fastenal. CampChef also makes a beautiful "small" stove much like Coleman's 2-burner propane model and is worth a look if you have an eye for quality.Ebay is a great way to buy quality gear with guaranteed results and less criminal shenanigans than Craigslist.
              Last edited by tplife; 08-30-2013, 01:01 PM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Coleman liquid fuled appliances are still made in USA. All propane is foreign made.

Comment

Originally posted by frank6160 View Post
                  Coleman liquid fuled appliances are still made in USA. All propane is foreign made.
                  Out here in Realville it's our understanding that only 10% of all propane in the US is imported, and 70% of that form Canada. Is it possible that you tank reads "N2O", which would explain where your facts are coming from?
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Glock,
                    I used Coleman appliances for many decades. We had my grandfather's coleman stove that he bought after WWI.
                    My last gas appliance was a lantern that never worked right. I sent it to Coleman in Kansas and said fix it or keep it. They claimed they fixed it. It has never worked right, so I went to a propane lantern.

Comment

i've always been a coleman fan and probably always will. i've used both the old and new, white gas and propane stoves and never had any problems with them. i currently own two newer ones and one old one.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                        Out here in Realville it's our understanding that only 10% of all propane in the US is imported, and 70% of that form Canada.
                        I'm pretty sure he was referring to the lanterns, not what fuels them.

Comment

The new gas lanterns are made overseas. I recently purchased one (that I had to exchange for another due to a defect) and it was either made in China or Taiwan. Same with the stove.

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
                            Glock,
                            I used Coleman appliances for many decades. We had my grandfather's coleman stove that he bought after WWI.
                            My last gas appliance was a lantern that never worked right. I sent it to Coleman in Kansas and said fix it or keep it. They claimed they fixed it. It has never worked right, so I went to a propane lantern.
                            Ppine, do I read correctly that you have your grandfather's Coleman lantern from WWI? ... as in 1920's vintage?

If so, that is really cool. Can you post a pic?

Comment

Originally posted by immadman View Post
                              The new gas lanterns are made overseas. I recently purchased one (that I had to exchange for another due to a defect) and it was either made in China or Taiwan. Same with the stove.
                              Coleman liquid fuel fuel lanterns and stoves are listed by Coleman as made in the USA of US and foreign components. Did you buy a propane lantern? Those and the propane stoves are noted as made in China.

Comment

Working...
                              X