Tent Recommendation for Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Recommendation for Kids

Hello, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I did some searching but didn't find any threads that seemed directly related to my question. Please direct me to any existing threads that are relevant.

I have a family of 4. We are looking for some new tents for our two teenage daughters. They like to sleep in their own tents and they usually have a dog sleeping next to them.

Their existing tents are 2-person tents that are several years old. We probably got them at a big box store. They are not very good quality and the fiberglass poles have started to break. Also, they are not very easy for them to pitch by themselves.

We're looking to replace them with better quality tents which are easy to pitch. They'll use these tents primarily for sleeping so we don't need a lot of special features.

I can get really good pricing on Big Agnes, Marmot, NEMO, and MountainSmith, so any model recommendations among these brands would be appreciated. I'm open minded about other brands as well.

Thanks!

Alan

Re: Tent Recommendation for Kids

Aany of those brands would be excellent. It just depends on the size and configuration you like. Personally, I haven't seen any "2 person" tent that is actually big enough for two people. I would go for a minimum of a 3 person tent (for 2 teens) or a 4 person tent (for 2 adults) unless you are actually backpacking with the tent.

I have a new Marmot Halo 4 that is awesome. Great configuration. Really high quality. For a smaller tent, I would be very tempted by a Marmot Limelight 3P. 93 inches by 66 inches, which is at least big enough to be reasonable for two teens. Double doors and vestibules, which is pretty much essential to make a small tent work for two, IMO. Should be a piece of cake to set up. Rectangular shape and a brow pole to make the walls more vertical (less cramped).

http://marmot.com/products/limelight_3p?p=118

There's also a 4P version which is 82 x 93. That one is actually big enough for two adults.

http://marmot.com/products/limelight_4p?p=118

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I should clarify, I'm looking to buy 2 tents, one for each teen (they have to have their own space you know!)

The Limelight 2P looks like it might be a good option.

Also considering the Halo 4P for my wife and I.

Comment

Eureka Timberline 2. Bombproof, weatherproof, easy to pitch, and standalone. There's a weight penalty, though.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I agree with Irate Morman. The Eureka Timberline 2 was made for and is still used by boyscouts age 11 to 18. If they can't destroy them, nobody can. One daughter to a tent plus a dog should be no problem.check out page 5 and 6 at this link http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...=0&colorFilter=
          Last edited by Hikenhunter; 08-26-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X