New Old Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Old Tent

Well, I did something a little out of character for me. I saw a 6 man Alaskan Guide tent on eBay for 100.00. I halfway ignored it to begin with, but I decided to see what kind of poles it had...turned out to be aluminum. My son, who went to pick it up for me said it looked to be in like new shape! Hopefully, I did not buy the proverbial "pig in a poke." ;-). Seriously, the young lady that I bought it from said it was in excellent shape with no tears or leaks. Anyway, worst case scenario would probably be a rain fly replacement, if that. I couldn't see how I could go terribly wrong for a hundred bucks.

We are planning a camping trip to St Andrews State Park over Labor Day week-end and will toss in some scuba diving while there. I will report on the tent when I get my hands on it. My son lives about 170 miles north of here.

Re: New Old Tent

Update...Got the tent home and set it up in the backyard. It is one of the older models with the separate vestibules that zips onto the "brow" area of the front door. Unfortunately, the vestibule is not with it. This is a third hand tent and I am not too sure the vestibule was a part of the tent initially, but was sold as an "extra." As I have no personal experience with this type of tent, I really cannot say. Cabela's no longer sells the separate vestibule and the newer ones come with it already attached as of 2008-09. That being said, I can order a new fly for 159.95 that has the vestibule built in. Still not a bad deal...Alaskan Guide 6 person tent with aluminum poles for 100.00 plus the new rain fly comes to 260.00 is still a great deal. In the meantime, until I think I will be in some severe winter weather, I can build a vestibule with a tarp. BTW...the tent is in SUPERB shape. Some of the guylines on the fly look like they have never been unwrapped. Either that or the previous owners were very good at rolling up and tying them back up to where it looks like it was done at the factory. I very seriously doubt it was used more than a half dozen times. I am happy! :-)

We are planning a trip to Panama City Beach and St. Andrews State Park this holiday, although it looks like the weather will not be the best. :-( I will post some shots of the tent and the campsite at some point.

Comment

Congrats on the find and have fun. Can't wait to see the pictures.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Pictures of St Andrews State Park campsite. We had a great holiday week-end, although we totaled my truck on the way there. Thankfully neither one of us were hurt and the equipment was fine (it did not even ruin the mantles in our Coleman lanterns). We got a rental and continued with our vacation. Had a great time, although the park was crowded.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	69785 Click image for larger version

Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	69786 Click image for larger version

Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	69787

Comment

Nice tent! Looks like a pretty nice place for camping. From the 3rd photo, I see I'm on the right track with my "no shoes in the tent" approach! Sorry about you truck.

Comment

Oh yeah...no shoes in the tent is the rule!

I am just happy that we were able to walk away from it. I have been a paramedic for over 20 years and seen people very seriously injured in vehicles that were not as badly damaged. I can post pics of that if anyone is interested.

I was ready to get a new, larger truck but not this way!!! :-( Anyway, I did buy a larger 4x4 truck (along with lower fuel mileage) that will pull the M101A2 surplus trailer I purchased to carry camping stuff and whatnot in. Actually, it will pull just about anything I hook to.

If anyone does go to this campground, the lower numbered (i.e. single digit especially) sites are right on the water. I would strongly suggest looking at the layout on the 'net to find the good ones!
            Last edited by immadman; 09-13-2013, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Yep. I take an old beat up pair of Topsiders. Walk around the campsite in those and kick them off in the vestibule every time getting into the tent. A lot more pleasant not having the sand in the tent...

Comment

Working...
              X