Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i charge a deep cell battery for tent use from my vehicle 12v system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i charge a deep cell battery for tent use from my vehicle 12v system?

I only need extra power (than provided to my electronic devices via their own batteries) in the tent to power a shaver, a waterpik, for boiling 22 oz. of water once a day, and for the occasional use of a bigbuddy heater for a few minutes in the morning or at night adjacent to bunking down for the night, when temps get below my normal 40-73 F camping temps. Is it possible to efficiently charge a 12v deep cycle battery from my hybrid vehicle's normal 12v system (assuming the car battery is fully charged when I connect the deep cycle battery to the car's 12v system? I am a car camper. It would seem that a hybrid vehicle would be better for this.

Re: can i charge a deep cell battery for tent use from my vehicle 12v system?

yes you can,
    is it the best method? no,
    but doable,
    probably wont get full charge on the deep cycle, but enough,
    my hesitation with such method is most new cars being computer regulated sometimes are sensitive to extra draw/spikes,
    wouldnt want to risk blowing a fuse or relay i dont have a replacement for or worse damaging some other electrical component, on your only ride home.
    for your useage, most items are very low amp draw, for a weekend , probably wont need to recharge the battery,
    for longer stays or higher amp useage i would consider a solar panel to charge the battery during the day.

alot of small items like charges and such generally draw 1amp/hr or so,
    when you get to items like laptops, they generally draw quite a lot when turning on then draw less while running,
    i would calculate how many amps your items use, what size battery you have or will have, then determine best charging method,
    most deep cycle batteries are 400-600 amps, some even +1000 amps(as someone here uses)

your buddy heater i believe would be gas heat? and only electric used would be for the fan?
    if that is the case then fan probably doesnt draw too many amps,

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. I'm planning an extended N America camping/exploring/photographing trip to begin early next year. Don't have the vehicle yet but it will probably either be a Ford C Max hybrid (or plug in) or a Prius V. The former does have an alternator, the latter not. Yes, would like to avoid having to use a generator. Would you expect solar panels that could reasonably be carried in a smaller vehicle like these, along with lots of other camping/personal items, likely keep the deep cycle battery charged, only drawing power to boil a quart of water a day, and run a water pik a couple times a day? I expect to have the panels exposed to a fair amount of sun during the middle of the day for 4-5 hours when I'm in the tent (would likely take them down at other times since I'll be away in a dispersed camping setting); occasionally when I'm in areas with not much sun I can charge the battery via AC at a campground electrical hookup. The isolator sounds interesting. Would that perhaps cause the alternator to prematurely burn out? Would I (securely) mount the deep cell battery inside the vehicle, and use heavy gauge wire to connect it to the isolator/alternator under the hood?

Comment

Yes to what HS said, and in cars like my Prius there's room for everything. A fused pigtail quick-disconnect off the starter battery terminals works best and you can review recharge level with a voltmeter (after allowing surface charge to come off). A cigarette lighter plug also works but the recharge takes longer. An AGM like the Optima Blue-Top has a lot of advantages for car-camping over the old-technology lead acid batteries that need boxes, vertical installation, extra room and care (and gloves), etc. Some AGM batteries allow discharge as high as 80% without damage! A group 24 optima delivers 55 Ah, more than enough for our needs sans a solar panel setup. I'd recommend the Prius, but remember the V has less power than the 3 since it has a wider longer body but the same drivetrain. We use a Thule carbo box off a Class II TorkLift hitch with a lighting kit and Firestone coil spring bags, can carry 3 people, gear, and enough firewood for 3 nights of camping.

Last edited by tplife; 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

T,
          Why would you take a bunch of modern stuff on a camping trip in the first place? Wouldn't it be better to use dental floss and shave with a blade? To me, one of the greatest benefits to camping is to unplug and disconnect from all of that technology. Simple low-tech stuff that always works. You are in danger of "taking your culture with you." That is an old saying worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
            T,
            Why would you take a bunch of modern stuff on a camping trip in the first place? Wouldn't it be better to use dental floss and shave with a blade? To me, one of the greatest benefits to camping is to unplug and disconnect from all of that technology. Simple low-tech stuff that always works. You are in danger of "taking your culture with you." That is an old saying worth considering.
            PPine, there's no danger, I always take my "culture" along with me! Out in the sticks we also have a lot of old sayings, like "They can ask more questions than a Philadelphia lawyer". It was my good fortune to be raised in a wilderness area, so I'm only taking the same stuff with me I would have at home - gas bbq, electric power and good music from a quality audio system. Also, my Optima Blue-Top has paid for itself many times over vs. the cost of alkaline batteries. Don't knock it until you've heard Hank Sr., Neil, or the Saddle Pals cry from a warm campfire in the Sierras under the ponderosa pines! {I camp to be closer to home}.
            Last edited by tplife; 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

i like to go camping to relax and look up at the stars and go fishing and hiking and you can shave and everything when you get back i mean there has to be water so you can

Comment

Everybody's camping experience is different. My wife accused me of going minimalist because I wished to avoid work...well, "DUH!" Whereas, she's into the full camp kitchen, etc.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

If you want music, make some.

Comment

Ditto that - I usually carry my Breedlove with me...
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I'm the only singer in the family with any formal training - and this ain't church, so..."put another nickel in!" That does give me an idea about running my little 6-string hard-body through the amp using an inverter - neighbors will (not) love it!
                      I am wondering how long a recharge of the Blue-Top might take running off the alternator of my Prius. It may not have a true alternator, but it sure does have recharge function as there is the big running battery bank and the small starting battery.
                      Last edited by tplife; 08-22-2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X