No announcement yet.

Yet another tent recommendation thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another tent recommendation thread.

Let me begin by apologizing for another one of these threads, but with our recent luck in purchasing tents I need some help. I'm looking for a decent tent within $100 - $200 dollars. We recently purchased a coleman 12x12 tent thinking that coleman was still as great as it was back when i was young. Apparently that isn't true. The tent blew all over the place even when tacked down securely and the zipper broke the first night. We thankfully returned it and are now looking for another tent. My fiancée and I usually camp in state parks so this doesnt have to be some crazy rugged tent. It needs to be somewhat windproof (at least more so than the coleman) and also needs to be as waterproof as can be since it rains a LOT here in Oregon. We would like a tent to be at least 10x10 or larger, and since our zipper broke on the last one we would prefer one that is known to have stronger zippers. There is a coleman tent on amazon called the red canyon that has decent reviews, but i'm hesitant to purchase since our last experience. Hopefully i can get some good recommendations here.

On a side note we are also looking for cot recommendations. Preferably a double cot. Thanks.

-Ryan

Re: Yet another tent recommendation thread.

I think you might have a problem finding what you want for that price. Your best bet is to go online to REI, Cabalas, or any "real" sporting good store. Not Walmart. They're good for some things, but in my opinion, not tents. Also, most cheaper tents you buy, you'll have to water proof it, and the seams yourself. As for your tent blowing down, did you have guy lines attached? If not, that could be a reason for the tent blowing around.
    We also camp in State Parks down here in Florida, and they've got electric hook ups, so for about $50.00 we bought a blow up mattress that is electric. Very comfy.

Good luck on your search for a tent. My advice is spend a little more and have more time to have fun. Happy Camping
    Last edited by gatordude; 08-18-2013, 05:09 PM.
    Nights camping in 2013-----12
    Nights camping in 2014----- 4
    Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

What price range would you say I need to go before i find a decent tent at that size? $200-$300? Also are lumberjack or wenzel tents any good? Thanks.

Comment

You can find a decent tent at that price, but it's going to be on ebay or Craigslist. Look at the REI website, or Amazon and look at tent reviews. Then search that tent on ebay. Try searching tents on Craigslist, then research the available tents that interest you. I would avoid the Coleman Red Canyon, I personally had this tent and it will flatten out in the winds. To go bombproof, are going to have to go with the recommended tents on this site and see if they are on Craigslist or Ebay.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

How does eureka stand in terms of quality? The Copper Canyon 6 looks ideal for us.

Comment

Sunnysports has the 6-man Marmot Limestone on sale for $360. That's a 10 x 10 stand up dome tent with a full rain fly that will be solid in the rain and wind (if you guy it out).

http://www.sunnysports.com/p-mrmtls6...ging-organizer

Other brands with similar quality to consider are Sierra Designs, REI, Kelty, North Face, and so forth. I think the quality (and pricing) on all of the top brand tents is the same. They just all offer slightly different configurations. The tradeoff is almost always the ability to handle bad weather versus light weight. Best bet, if you can find it, will be a close out on last year's model or whatever.

If I were camping in the Pacific Northwest with rain and wind, I would personally not be real confident in any tent without a full coverage rain fly or a tent with fiberglass poles. It's hard enough to make a big 6-person tent stable in the wind with good aluminum poles.

Comment

I found the Eureka Tetragon 8 tent that I really like. I also came across the kelty palisade 6 that seems really nice but is a bit smaller than the eureka. Im not sure I want to spend $80 more for a smaller space. Which one would you guys recommend?
              Last edited by RByers91; 08-19-2013, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Looks like I will be saving up a little more to get the kelty. Any places I should shop around to find the best price?

Comment

If you found the Kelty for anywhere near the price of the Eureka, I'd grab the Kelty. It retails for over $500 and is a lot more tent. Aluminum poles instead of fiberglass. The "brow pole" design of the Kelty is similar to the Marmot Halo tents. Makes for a spacious tent inside. Because the Eureka doesn't have the same vertical sides, I bet it feels smaller inside than the Kelty even though it's 10 x 12 compared to the Kelty's 10 x 10. Because of the sloped sides, much of the area at the edges of the floor are wasted space.

Comment

The Kelty is at Campmor for $300.

http://www.campmor.com/kelty-palisad...ent-2011.shtml
                    Last edited by Oldcoyote; 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM.
                    When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                    Six hundred pounds of sin
                    Was grinning at my window
                    All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Thats exactly where I found the tent. Are they a decent place to buy? How is their customer service?

Comment

Rbuyers91, I've bought 3 tents new-in-the-box for 60% off MSRP, meaning $500 tents for $200. You have to watch the auctions and understand quality (polyester rainflies, full coverage rainflies, vestibules, color coded setup, clip attachments for the fly, hub-style pole options, waterproof bathtub floors, at least 6 poles on a 6-man tent, etc.), but you can research that while you study the auctions. Don't discount fiberglas, many a helicopter flies with their blades and companies like Sierra Designs, Marmot, EMS, REI, Big Agnes, NorthFace, and Mountain HardWear can offer 'glas as good as anodized aluminum, but don't think Eureka or Kelty will, there you must insist on anodized aluminum (they mix in low-end stuff with their top-shelf to increase market share) to avoid Coleman/Wenzel-type low-end dated designs (urethane coated plastic tarp floors, pin and ring setup, D-shaped doors, tiny rain flies). That said, DO NOT buy a cot or hollow-tube air mattress expecting comfort outside of summer. These options will never, ever deliver thermo-neutral 5.0 R-values (cots and air mattresses come in at 0.75, thermo-negative) that you need to overcome thermodynamic effects that suck the body heat out of you while you sleep (I will stop here out of love and affection for all the science deniers who are still good fun around the campfire). If you are unable to get up off the ground outside of a cot, I can suggest sleeping bags that will overcome the heat loss, but you won't like the price points or the loss of sleeping flexibility. Thick quality self-inflating sleeping pads are your "best friend", can be purchased on ebay just like a good tent, and are lifetime guaranteed against leaks...
                        Last edited by tplife; 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Tplife

What would such a sleeping bag be?
                          When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                          Six hundred pounds of sin
                          Was grinning at my window
                          All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

RByers:

Campmor is an excellent retailer.

If you are not in a hurry to buy a tent this week, then I would sign up for the e-mail list for Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, Sunnysports, REI, Moosejaw, Backcountry, Backcountry Edge, etc.

They all run regular sales. For example, I bought a Marmot tent last fall when one of them (I can't remember which) ran a 30% off on ALL Marmot products for a weekend. The e-mail hit my inbox and I picked up a Halo 4 for $300. If you wait for a sale like that, you could pick up the Marmot Limestone 6p tent, which is like the Kelty in terms of straight sides, but even higher quality, two full size doors and vestibules, and the 12 x 10 size of the Eureka. It's normally $449, but if you grab it on a 30% off sale, it would be $315. If you aren't in a hurry, just start letting the sales hit your e-mail in-box. Moosejaw has that Limestone 6P this week for $359 with free shipping...

http://marmot.com/products/limestone_6p

Comment

I bought two of the kelty palasade six tents from campmor one for my son the other for myself. They are great tents. shipping was fast and free. I have not used my tent yet but my son has spent a week in his with two rainy nights he was dry. lots of storage in the front and rear vestibule. You wont find a better price than 300.00 and free shipping!

Comment

Working...
                              X