Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for tent reccomendations (any help would be greatly appreciated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tent reccomendations (any help would be greatly appreciated)

I'm new to these forums and not yet accustom to its rules or conventions, so I apologize in advance if this post is contrary to the official rules of this website or personal tastes of its participants.

I"m looking for a tent, but I have absolutely no knowledge regarding them. I'd like to ask those that do have some insight for recommendations. I'll enummerate the characteristics I'm looking for below:

Needs

1. It needs to be small and light enough to carry on my person.
    2. It needs to be durable enough to endure daily use for a significant amount of time (1-2 years.)
    3. It needs to be rainproof (or at minimum rain resistant).

Wants

1. I'd like for it to be resistant to cold (for use during winters [mild winters]).
    2. I'd like for it to keep out insects.

Things it doesn't need to be

1. It doesn't need to be big, just large enough for one relatively tall man.
    2. It doesn't need to be cheap. I want a good tent and am willing to pay for one.
    3. It doesn't need to be comfortable or luxurious or possess any needless efficiencies that don't augment its efficacy.

If anyone would point me in the direction of a tent that meets most of those qualities, I would greatly appreciated it.

Re: Looking for tent reccomendations (any help would be greatly appreciated)

The best thing to do is go to an outdoor store that has tents set up on display.
    You can talk to the emplyees and see what meets your needs.

No tent it water proof, but a better quality-higher priced tent will tend to be more resistant to water..
    The north face tents are prob the best backpacking/lightweight tents(IMO), they have a large selection of weights and styles. the seems are seams taped, the fabric is strong and the zippers pull smooth. I always do extra seam sealing on tie down points and corners. They have some great light weight backpacking tents.
    Eurika also makes good tents.

I don't think there are any "cold resistant" tents that are light enough to carry..
    You might want to look into a 4 season tent(but these tents are heavier), in the winter or cold weather camping/tenting you want the tent to be strong enough to hold the weight of snow. You also need your tent to be well vented(to prevent condensation, so it doesn't condensate on the inside of your tent and the drip down on you while you sleep. You will wake up like it had been raining in the tent.). A tent isn't supposed to be a "warm place" it's supposed to keep you dry and out of the elements, your sleeping bag is what keeps you warm.

Hope that helps.

I use:
    -The north face rock 32(6 lbs) for 2-3 people backpacking
    -The north face flint 2 (4 lbs) for solo backpacking
    -The Eurika Alpenlite 2xt (7 lbs) for winter backpacking

I have been in all of these tents during heavy rains and T-storms(even the tail end of the hurricane that flooded NY last year), theyve kept me bone dry inside.
    Last edited by Logtec; 08-03-2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

A 2-man tent made by Big Agnes, Sierra Designs, Mountain HardWear, NorthFace, REI, or EMS will fill the bill for light weight, wind and rain integrity, and true 3-season use. This level of tent quality will give you mesh-loaded polyester fabric, welded seams that don't require sealing, waterproof bathtub floors, anodized aluminum poles, color coded corners, and modern features like SwiftClips, Hubs, etc. and somewhat more vertical space. If you buy Eureka! products, you better know how to evaluate a quality tent because they sell a lot of what I consider to be low-end casual gear along with some top-shelf goods...I settled on a Sierra Designs Electron in my example, since as a high-volume producer, there are fantastic deals on ebay for this and the other quality brand models.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

FWIW, North Face tents are relatively heavy. If you have a weight limit in mind you can get more focused advice.

What is your pack weight goal?
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
          Do you use a trekking pole(s) when you hike? If yes, one or two? This knowledge will affect which tents folks recommend.
          No HogSnapper, I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
            FWIW, North Face tents are relatively heavy. If you have a weight limit in mind you can get more focused advice.

What is your pack weight goal?
            Weight really isn't a big concern of mine as I'll be doing much more living than hiking in this tent. From what I've read, it seems that backpacking tents are usually around 3-10 lbs. Anything on that spectrum sounds fine. I'm more concerned with durability than convenience.

Comment

Working...
            X