Protex Summit 6 vs Eureka Bella Coola 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protex Summit 6 vs Eureka Bella Coola 6

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these tents. We're looking for a versatile mainly car camping 5 or 6 man tent but want to keep open to the possibility of using it for canoe trips. The Protex is on for $199 at Sail, regular $399. It's larger, with two large vestibules, but also heavy at 32 lbs. http://www.sail.ca/uploads/files/sit...te-2012_en.pdf
    The Eureka is regular priced at Le Baron for $239. It is smaller but nice and light at 12 lbs. http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp13...ella_coola.pdf

I'm leaning towards the Eureka only because it's a good size for family canoe trips. Any opinions? I have found a bit on the Eureka but no reviews and absolutely nothing on the Protex. Thanks in advance.

Re: Protex Summit 6 vs Eureka Bella Coola 6

The Protex is an unknown here. The big discount sounds purposely deceiving considering the fiberglass poles and dated design. The Eureka! has a similar dated design (features cost $ due to patent protection, cutting corners in design, poles too few and too thin, etc.) but at least represents an entry-level tent that delivers needed features at a lower price than the "big boys" (NorthFace, Big Agnes, Sierra Designs, etc.). One thing that is a must is seeing both of these tents in person for these reasons. At 12 pounds the Eureka! is a throw-away tent that won't have rain or wind integrity. It looks like an updated version of the old pin-and-ring Tetragon series (I have one). The Protex is maybe 20% overweight, but likely a better design that needs hands-on inspection to compare as most fiberglas poles are poorly made. I would pass on either of these tents and go back to a quality name off Ebay purchased at a big discount. That website shows them from MSR, Mountain HardWear, MSR, and Big Agnes. Buy one of those instead of the Eureka! or just pick up something really cheap at a big box retailer, the outcome will be the same as the Protex or the bottom-end Eureka! This website has all MSRP pricing. A quality tent runs around $500 in a 6-man design and you can get around 60% off using sites like ebay. That will get you quality at your price point - I think the two you are looking at will be disappointing.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Re: Protex Summit 6 vs Eureka Bella Coola 6

Thanks for the advice hog snapper and tplife. I will definitely take into consideration before making my purchase. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X