Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coffee Pot

Hog,
    I like your description. I learned to make coffee while cowboying on the Crooked H Ranch in northern AZ. In the field pull out some whole beans from your shirt pocket and wrap in a neckerchief. Crush with a rock. Put a handful of beans in any vessel like a clean tomato can. Heat over a fire until hot. Remove with neckerchief, add some cold water and enjoy the best cup of coffee in the world.
    Last edited by ppine; 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I got the plastic version for backpacking. It is for straining the grounds out of the coffee after it's ready (usually only necessary for the first cup).

I don't normally take tea with me, but chinese black tea is a taste I acquired from a Thai friend, and it has quite a lot of caffeine in it. The leaves are cut large enough so that you don't need a strainer, you just blow them out of the way.

This is LOT lighter than a French Press. For car camping I don't really care, but no way am I lugging around a press in my backpack.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Save a lot of weight and expense by not bringing a bunch of gizmos, stoves, contraptions and paraphenalia. Alas, for some it is all about the ritual.

Best made on a fire.
        Last edited by ppine; 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
          Save a lot of weight and expense by not bringing a bunch of gizmos, stoves, contraptions and paraphenalia.
          Well... unless you're using wood, you'll still need a stove to heat the water. I'm just wondering what the differences are between gizmos, contraptions and parphernalia. :D

Comment

Almost every BPer carries at least 1 luxury item:-) That would be a gizmo. A contraption is something that requires assembly. Now Paraphernalia - that would be bongs, pipes, and such. I don't partake.

Comment

Thank you for the clarification!

Comment

NP - I aims to please!

Comment

The best coffee for us has been a simple pour-over method of brewing. Boil the water in a tea kettle (using a propane camp stove), and slowly pour it over a filter/holder with your favorite coffee over a thermal carafe. Beautiful hot coffee in just a few minutes. And it stays hot for a couple of hours.

Comment

I agree with others that the French Press is the way to go. Once you get hooked on it, there is no going back to any other way. We threw our home drip maker away a couple years ago and only use the press now. I just bought one of these GSI Outdoors presses. It is slick. I actually like it better than my Bodum press that we use at home.
                    http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/...a_press/coffee

If I'm feeling lazy, I just use the Folgers Coffee Singles. Basically they are tea bags filled with coffee. They actually make a pretty good cup. For boiling water, I use a Kelly Kettle. Sure I could boil water in a teapot and camp stove, but it's way more fun to boil water with twigs and pinecones, and just as fast, if not faster.

Comment

Bush Coffee with Mors Kochanski:

I use Mors formula to make coffee on my Emberlit wood burning stove. The grounds settle to the bottom just like in the video... I use the wait 5 minutes method.
                      Phil
                      Group: Canvas
                      Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
                      Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

I use the coleman coffee maker that cooks on any propane stove. Love it. http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5008C7...n+coffee+maker

Comment

Working...
                        X