Eureka Solitaire vs. Koppen Lokal 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eureka Solitaire vs. Koppen Lokal 1

I need an affordable 1 person tent for backpacking. I'm not a "serious" backpacker at this point, but my old tent I have weighs something like 7 lbs, so I need to remedy that! But I also don't have too much money, and also need to buy a good sleeping pad. Which of these tents is best? The Koppen weights something like 2 oz more but is about 30 bucks more. I'm 5 ft 6 in so I don't think the shortish length is a problem. Is either easier to set up than the other? Thanks.

Re: Eureka Solitaire vs. Koppen Lokal 1

The Koppen sounds like the winner! Good luck & safe packing!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Can you tell me why it's better?

Comment

Koppen MFR available details are sketchy, but the short answer is the aluminum poles and quick-clip (Sierra Designs patent) features suggest the Koppen is "the kind". That said, for the cost and future uses, I would strongly suggest you look at a 2 or 3-man tent. At this price point and given some time to follow auctions and features, you can get the equivalent and be able to grow into it...Just sayin'!
        Last edited by tplife; 05-26-2013, 01:58 AM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

For me, going straight to each separate MFR website. The Eureka is being sold at $127.95 whereas the Koppen is offered at $90.00. The Koppen & the Eureka are NOT identical in weight 2 lb 4oz(Koppen) & 2 lb 14.185 oz(Eureka). The Eureka is almost a 3 lb tent where as the Koppen is lighter. The Eureka dimensions are longer therefore the added weight in oz. The design is more modern with the Koppen, however the Eureka Spitfire is better known more trusted. However based on the prices I found and weight, I would go for the Koppen. When backpacking, carrying weight is the goal. Carry as much stuff as you need for a jaunt in backcountry for the least amount of weight. Back in the day, I used a tube tent because it's weight was under 2 lbs. Your 7 lb tent needs a museum.

I'm not a backpacker presently, still just hiking to get my metal knee in shape so I can offer no input for pitching(setting-up) either tent.

Breaking it down, backpacking, car camping or what ever way one camps. Picking a tent or any item is a very personal choice. TPLife's recommendation with which I concur is the aluminum poles & the quick-clips are ideal for pitching. A backpacker's dilemma is just weight & how much does it cost. Good luck, keep us posted even some back-country pics & of your campsite(s) are a great way to share they are always welcomed here!
          Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-26-2013, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Carmen, do you want to keep your gear in the tent or out of it?
            Do you use a walking stick(s)?

I'm trying to incorporate thoughts from (a frmr) cyclist and backpacker camper's POV and I can see different responses to those questions could better say what kind of tent might suit ya better.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
              NYCgrrl has the same idea as me; Do you use trekking poles? You can save a lot of weight by using a trekking pole tent. Most factory built trekking pole tents cost more than than $90 though. On the other hand, you can buy a really really cheap tent, like the Texsport 2 man trail tent which costs less than $30, and strip out the poles that come with it and use your trekking poles or use sticks you scavenge in the woods as poles. This would have two advantages over your current choice - lower weight and less cost. If you do go with something like the Texsport, you will need to seal the seams after you buy it but otherwise it's a great little tent. I keep one stuffed inside the spare tire on my Jeep at all times as a backup for emergencies in case I get stuck out on the trail overnight.
              Who told you to read my mind?:D.

I'm guessing you are talking about Texsport's bivy tent yet my question regarding gear was to elicit if this was a size she is comfy with. Doncha hate ending a sentence with a conjunction?
              2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

So what's the weight when backpacking it?

Comment

The pup tent idea that Hogsnapper recomments is a good one.

This was the backpackers tent for many generations. My friends and I used these lightweight nylon pup tents on many hundreds of backpacking trips through the 1960's and 1970's. At that time, we thought they were so much better than the canvas pup tents of the day - and they were better! In 1978, I bought my first two-man free-standing dome tent. We thought the dome tents were cool because they looked new-fangled and cool and because you could set them up on top of rocks - or in your living room. We also noticed they weighed more than our pup tents and questioned if this really was a step forward. We soon learned that the dome tents were much better in heavy winds and storms than the old style pup tents.

With tents as with everything else, choosing a tent is a card-game of compromises. In the deck of cards: weight, cost, shelter-effective, convenience.

The greatest weight in today's tents is the poles. With the old A-frame pup tents, you don't need to lug poles around. You can whittle tent poles from sticks available almost anywhere.

The disadvantage of these simple tents is that most are single wall tents. When it storms hard, it is likely you will get wet. You can enhance the weatherproofing by adding a plastic sheet rain fly. I also waterproofed mine several times with a brush on waterproofing

Around these parts, you can find plenty of these old A-frame pup tents for about $5.00 at trift stores and garage sales.

Another great advantage of this simple design is that the set up time is so fast. The Boy Scout standard is under 3 minutes, but there are many a scout who pride themselves on being able to set up their tents in less than a minute - and I was one of those!
                  Last edited by Mike; 05-26-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! OK well for some reason I thought the Koppen was heavier which is why I thought it was odd it was more expensive. But if it's lighter then that's a big plus. The Eureka is sold for 6oish bucks (maybe it was 70) at Academy sports so it's cheaper, but it's not a huge difference. 20 bucks more for a lighter tent is definitely worth the money.

I don't really want to go with a bigger tent b/c I'm trying to keep weight as low as possible (yet still reasonably affordable) and no one would be sharing the tent with me in the foreseeable future.

The Texsport 2 man trail tent looks interesting but it looks like it weights about 3.5 lbs which is more than the other two tents. I mean cheap is great but both the Eureka and Koppen are still within my price range but lighter. But you're saying not using their poles (and using a trekking pole instead) would bring down the weight?

NYCgrrl..well I guess it'd be nice to have the pack inside but I hadn't planned on it, b/c I'm trying to keep weight low (so having a smaller tent). It's certainly not a priority. I don't use a trekking pole though I have thought about getting one (my parents and brother use them and love them). If I found an affordable, lightweight tent that required a trekking pole for support, I would be totally up for getting one.

I guess what is most important to me is trying to keep it light but affordable. One reason I'm trying to keep the tent light (and cheaper) is because I think I"m going to have to invest in a sleeping pad that is very comfortable (so I'm thinking heavier and more expensive) b/c I have such a hard time sleeping on the ground. I have yet to actually be able to fall asleep when tent camping, which makes the next day pretty miserable. So I want to put most of my money towards that.

One other thing to mention , it looks like I won't be going backpacking probably til fall or winter, so I have some time to save up money and keep an eye on sales. So I can probably go up to $150ish on the tent, if you guys know of something that fits my guidelines in that range. Thanks

Comment

OK.......low weight, considering use of trekking poles (thanks for that name, HS....my mind had gone blank on the newer term), a slightly higher budget and bad weather protection seem to be your primary concern. Do correct me if I missed anything:

This shelter might fit your bill:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/six-m...solo-tent.html
                      Weight is respectable at 34 ozs or 2.83 lbs.
                      You can currently get it at this site for $125.00 with shipping included but if your not planning to use this gear until the fall..wait a bit, sign up for the email and get a coupon. Good chance the price will drop a bit.

Ahhh the pup tent, my first camping gear love! Been so interested in car camping of late didn't even realise they were still made but yes they are.Thanks much for the wave of mostly golden memories HS and Mike. I blocked the laying as close to center when it rained thoughts completely out of my mind, LOL.

You might want to check out the closeout at REI but keep in mind the weight goes up a bit although the price goes down proportionately:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?cat=29340996&jxPrice=80^124.99&hist=cat%2C2 9340996%3ABackpacking+Tents^jxPrice%2C80~124.99&ra nge=jxPrice

Have fun out there!
                      2017:

Comment

My brother recommended a hammock to me (he's a big timer backpacker) but to be honest..I think I"d be creeped out sleeping in the open at night in the woods. I know, I'm kind of a wuss. But really though, I like the security (however false it is) that a tent provides. The dark woods at night are creepy to me (I know, kind of a weird fear for someone who likes camping, but oh well).
                        NYCgrrl that tent looks pretty interesting! Is it difficult to master putting up a tent that uses trekking poles for the first time? The outlet stuff at REI looks interesting..the idea of a free standing tent is appealing, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmen1979 View Post
                          My brother recommended a hammock to me (he's a big timer backpacker) but to be honest..I think I"d be creeped out sleeping in the open at night in the woods. I know, I'm kind of a wuss. But really though, I like the security (however false it is) that a tent provides. The dark woods at night are creepy to me (I know, kind of a weird fear for someone who likes camping, but oh well).
                          NYCgrrl that tent looks pretty interesting! Is it difficult to master putting up a tent that uses trekking poles for the first time? The outlet stuff at REI looks interesting..the idea of a free standing tent is appealing, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra weight.
                          I don't think it's too difficult....just a matter of having good purchase...friable ground to get the stakes into. Here's a few pics of one on site:

http://www.alpineathena.com/six-moon...nar-solo-tent/

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...l#.UaSdI8pdCSo
                          2017:

Comment

Working...
                          X