This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: screen house/picnic shelter

I'm new here, but have been reading up on tent camping. It's been MANY years since I've camped, but I bought a Tent Cot last year for a family reunion and decided I could handle camping off the ground.
    I've been catching up on this thread because I'm in need of a screen shelter. It looks like a member left so it's a bit hard to follow the conversation. I get the impression that the Coleman Hex tent was a favorite of the member who left. Does anyone else experience with any of the screen shelters mentioned above?

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
      I'm new here, but have been reading up on tent camping. It's been MANY years since I've camped, but I bought a Tent Cot last year for a family reunion and decided I could handle camping off the ground.
      I've been catching up on this thread because I'm in need of a screen shelter. It looks like a member left so it's a bit hard to follow the conversation. I get the impression that the Coleman Hex tent was a favorite of the member who left. Does anyone else experience with any of the screen shelters mentioned above?
      I think the Hex screen house is part of Coleman's line of instant tents. Based on youtube vids I've seen of em I'd say this could be of interest to a single person. I'm still enjoying my Paha Que SH but continue thinking it's not useful for a solo user.
      Have fun out there and welcome.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Mosquito coils are fun if you like fire; otherwise just use OFF. Don't mistake this for a similar product named ON, the results are not similar.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          I think the Hex screen house is part of Coleman's line of instant tents. Based on youtube vids I've seen of em I'd say this could be of interest to a single person. I'm still enjoying my Paha Que SH but continue thinking it's not useful for a solo user.
          Have fun out there and welcome.
          Thank you! When I reread my post I realize it does sound like I'll be camping alone, but I do have a DH. I haven't convinced him to do a full camping vacation, so we'll be interspersing our hotels with a few nights under the stars. He'll probably use the tent cot & I'll throw an air mattress in the back of the CRV. The Paha Que looks terrific, but is too big an investment until our test run is successful.

Comment

Originally posted by irate mormon View Post
            mosquito coils are fun if you like fire; otherwise just use off. Don't mistake this for a similar product named on, the results are not similar.
            hahaha!
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
              :cool: that's cool, didn't mean to scare you! That's what makes this forum special! Distrust! Let me decide what's best for Me! That is way cool! Besides opinions are like elbows...most everyone has two of 'em! hehe! Apologies due!

We do though learn from one another and that's great sharing experiences!
              Thanks to all the pros on here with there good advice I have bought all our camping gear based on the opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                Thank you! When I reread my post I realize it does sound like I'll be camping alone, but I do have a DH. I haven't convinced him to do a full camping vacation, so we'll be interspersing our hotels with a few nights under the stars. He'll probably use the tent cot & I'll throw an air mattress in the back of the CRV. The Paha Que looks terrific, but is too big an investment until our test run is successful.
                Oh I hear ya. It's wise to not invest too much money when you are making up your mind. Craig's List exists for a reason:glasses:.
                Anddd I have to admit that putting up the PahaQue is the one( whaaaaaa- only once?!) time I have to hold my tongue during setup. The man always starts his "I hate camping" refrain at that point. Between the height and the poles' strength I'd like to join him in kvetching but but of course won't give him the satisfaction. Oops. :he:
                Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-31-2016, 06:58 AM.
                2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by debx77 View Post
                  Thanks to all the pros on here with there good advice I have bought all our camping gear based on the opinions.
                  So what have you purchased so far, Debx, and what's your opinion of what you might change or not? .
                  2017:

Comment

Originally posted by debx77 View Post
                    Clearly you're doomed.

😂
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                      Clearly you're doomed.

Snert alert!:out:
                      2017:

Comment

I never go camping before,i want to know what kind of rigs should i need?tent、camping lantern and anything else?

Comment

Got everything and then some lol my boyfriend said I couldn't get it in our car but I did. The only thing I might change is is bought a couple of low totes but am going to get the cheap plastic drawers that stack 3 high or five high haven't decided yt. We are going camping at Fort wilderness on the 12th ofJune that will be our first time out. Will let you know how it went. It's for 5 days my by has never camped so we shall see

Comment

Originally posted by abby.smith View Post
                            I never go camping before,i want to know what kind of rigs should i need?tent、camping lantern and anything else?
                            That's a big question... the answer depends on how much you have to spend, the style of camping you want to do (ranging from ultral ightweight backpacking through palace style tent camping (Glamping) to large trailer or RV camping.
                            I typically do vehicle camping (load every thing in the Jeep and take off) the minimal kit for this can be;
                            A good sleeping bag rated for cooler than the forecasted temperature with a removable or an add in liner (can be a cheap fleece bag) incase it gets colder than forecasted.
                            tent,
                            a small hammer to pound in the stakes (a small claw hammer can help remove them (beware of pounding stakes into tree roots they are often unrecoverable)
                            tarp, or 2 (one for a ground cloth to protect the tent bottom), (and one in case the tent leaks or, with trees, a few spare tent stakes and paracord) for sun shade, note; tying things to trees is not allowed in some areas).
                            some form of mattress or ground insulating pad (I used to do twin sized air mattresses, now I go with a cot and thick foam pad),
                            clothing for the climate, including walking shoes or light to medium, well broken in hiking boots
                            a hat with a wide brim to protect from sun and rain.
                            light rain gear or a poncho.
                            bug spray
                            Sunblock and chapstick,
                            small first aid kit (make up your own, IMO)
                            campfire cooking tools (or a stove and accessories. for the more civilized)
                            a cooler for drinks and food
                            Food and water
                            folding chairs; enough for every one + 1 (for guest or breakage)
                            a LED headlamp or flashlight

some like lanterns other don't...

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-04-2016, 07:06 AM.
                            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                              That's a big question... the answer depends on how much you have to spend, the style of camping you want to do (ranging from ultral ightweight backpacking through palace style tent camping (Glamping) to large trailer or RV camping.
                              I typically do vehicle camping (load every thing in the Jeep and take off) the minimal kit for this can be;
                              A good sleeping bag rated for cooler than the forecasted temperature with a removable or an add in liner (can be a cheap fleece bag) incase it gets colder than forecasted.
                              tent,
                              a small hammer to pound in the stakes (a small claw hammer can help remove them (beware of pounding stakes into tree roots they are often unrecoverable)
                              tarp, or 2 (one for a ground cloth to protect the tent bottom), (and one in case the tent leaks or, with trees, a few spare tent stakes and paracord) for sun shade, note; tying things to trees is not allowed in some areas).
                              some form of mattress or ground insulating pad (I used to do twin sized air mattresses, now I go with a cot and thick foam pad),
                              clothing for the climate, including walking shoes or light to medium, well broken in hiking boots
                              a hat with a wide brim to protect from sun and rain.
                              light rain gear or a poncho.
                              bug spray
                              Sunblock and chapstick,
                              small first aid kit (make up your own, IMO)
                              campfire cooking tools (or a stove and accessories. for the more civilized)
                              a cooler for drinks and food
                              Food and water
                              folding chairs; enough for every one + 1 (for guest or breakage)
                              a LED headlamp or flashlight

some like lanterns other don't...

Enjoy!
                              Overall, a great post with particular attention to assembling your own first aid kit. Either add on or use your car version; or just make your own starting w/ supplies from the home medicine set. Buying a camp specific first aid kit from a local or online source is a big money ripoff but good time saver. Here's a list of what you should have w/i:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...checklist.html

Generally stores nicely w/i a qt or smaller ZipLoc bag.

As for a hammer for tent pegs and such I've found a 2 dollar rubber mallet from a big box store useful with a galvanized steel "C" hook screwed into the handle's end for stake removal. Beats the Coughlan or Coleman tent plastic mallet in utility and cost.
                              2017:

Comment

... after years of trying various hammers for tent pegs...
                                This one from Harbor Freight grabbed my attention and would not let me leave the store without it;
                                http://www.harborfreight.com/8-oz-st...mer-95929.html
                                although they are regularly on sale for 2.99.
                                It fits in the tent stake pouch, albeit, the claws are in danger of making holes.
                                however is its a bit light weight (I have thought hard about modifying it by adding a 12 or 16 ounce hammer head.

In terms of stakes for the canopy (this a screen room thread)...
                                For the canopy (don't, normally, need screens here in Co.) I figure on using the MacGuyver helical screw stakes If long nail stakes prove insufficient).
                                http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...highlight=spax

I agree completey about FAK (First aid Kit) rip off prices...

Years ago when I started looking at firs aid kit contents I asked my mother what she thought was necessary after a lifetime of camping and picnics... She said, "band aids, safety pins and bug spry." I like to think that I have advanced a bit since then.
                                Rather than highjack this thread (FAKs are a pretty large subject) I think I will revive and old DIY thread;
                                http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...-Aid-Kit/page3

Enjoy!
                                Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-05-2016, 07:30 PM.
                                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                                X