Please Help Me Choose a Tent from This Short List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help Me Choose a Tent from This Short List

am a semi-retired guy who intends on camping a lot....with my 80lb. Doberman. MUCH of the time, it will be on the beach in North Carolina. (Jeep camping with lots of sun, sand and WIND)

I alternatively will be motorcycle camping/touring with Honda Goldwing and a custom made trailer big enough to haul the Doberman and any gear I wish to take..........most trips will be just me and the dog...........some will be two up plus dog
    I moved to North Carolina from Wisconsin........so have shoveled my share.........and will most probably NEVER be caught camping out in the snow! (If I can help it!).........most of my time will be spent in hot humid environs.

I've narrowed my tent selection down to these:
    1. Hilleberg: Either the Saitaris, the Saivo, or the Keron 4GT
    2. Redverz: Series II Expedition
    3. Apache / A Tuffy: 5 man ATuffy ALX w/ 2 vestibules
    4. Big Agnes: Big House 6 w/ optional vestibule

Any advise, thoughts, experiences, reviews, rants and raves? I will be especially grateful for advise on "best for the beach" experiences.

Re: Please Help Me Choose a Tent from This Short List

Have to agree with Hogsnapper, the Cabelas Guide is an awesome tent in any weather. In my one year quest, it is the one I picked and most likely will be on those same beaches as you at some point. Having used and own all three of the tent sizes. The 6 person is going to be my main tent on the quest, and is easily set up by one person.

If I could find the images, you could see how my four person Cabelas guide tent held up in the Adirondacks one spring while beaver trapping and go a good blow and snow. It is nice now they come with the vestibule sowed in.

It is and would be my choice too.

Comment

Re: Please Help Me Choose a Tent from This Short List

I have the BA Big House 6. Just camped in it this weekend; family of four. I also have the vestibule (but I didn't need to set it up as the weather was fair). I find the tent well made, easy to set up, and roomy inside. Lots of mesh around the sides and ceiling to let it breathe, but the fly is 90% full coverage if you need it down. The part where it is not (front door), can easily be remedied w/ the vestibule you are considering. The fly has lot of guylines to help anchor things down if it gets nasty outside.

I suppose my only real critique of the tent is just how nasty it can get outside before I start to worry about the tent. It's a tall tent, obviously meant for family/car camping.

Comment

Working...
      X