Big Agnes flying diamond 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Agnes flying diamond 8

First I would like to introduce myself. My name is Paul and I live in Northern Oregon. I have spent my whole life out of doors. Working as a firefighter, Surfing, backpacking, camping, fishing, kayaking, and motorcycling. If it is done outdoors I am up for it.
    My question is about the size of this tent and campground camping spots. This tent when erected with the fly on comes in at 20'x 13' footprint. I know this thing is huge. I would be using it to camp at beach campgrounds up and down the coast from Washington State to Mexico, and who knows where else. I have always just used my backpack tent when going on trips but would like to have more room just in case I have company or a place to put my board and wetsuit to dry out of sight. I also would use an Aero-bed to sleep on for comfort. I am 5'10" so I guess I would be called shorter than average. The flying diamond 8 has 6’ headroom and the flying diamond 6 has 5'6" of headroom. Nothing worse that standing in a tent and having your head cocked sideways so you fit. The footprint of the flying diamond 6 is 16'10" x8'. I would hate to get to a camp spot only to find out that my tent will not fit because it is too big. I like the Big Agnes flying diamond tents because the weather up north gets very nasty and wet so being a 3-4 season tent is a must. If anyone has any other suggestions I am very open, also if anyone has a flying Diamond 6 or 8 please give me your impressions.
    Thanks for you input.
    Paul Reyes

Re: Big Agnes flying diamond 8

HogSnapper thanks for the insight. I am still on the hunt and have added Marmot capstone6 and halo6. I laid out the footprint of the diamond 8 last night on my living room floor and it is just too big. I would consider the diamond6 if it had more headroom the 66" that are posted in the specs. Both halo6 and capstone6 have 81" and 76" of headroom respectively. I am not in my tent during the day, except for a nap that is, got to have a nap. I have tried a shelter but here in Oregon it rains sideways from all directions and the wind can get brutal. Unless the shelter has 3 walls everything gets soaked. I have been looking though. If you know of one that is easy to put up and has side panels that you can remove and change sides that would be great. Also here in Oregon we do not stop for the weather for if we did we would never go any ware. So there is the possibility of sitting in a tent for a few days with a good book. Been there done that. Thanks again for your recommendations and your welcome to the forum.

Comment

Ok since folks are reading but not posting here is my decision on a new tent for car camping. I have chosen a Marmot Capstone 6 here is why. First I read other posts on tent size and camp spot size. This tent should fit in most if not all identified camp spots, even though here in Oregon we don’t have boxed in tent spots. But if I decide to go east my tent will fit. It has 120sqft of floor space with is good compared to the others that I was looking at that had 90sqft. It is easy to setup by one person even though some have said that the fly can be hard with one person. It has good ventilation with fly on and a bunch of pockets to put your stuff. All the reviews that I found said that it was also dry as a bone in wet weather and could handle a good wind with no damage. It has an Ok vestibule not as big as the Big Agnes 8 or 6, but ok 35sqft for the 8 and 26.5 on the 6. The capstone comes in with 24.8 on their vestibule. The big plus on the Marmot Vs the BA diamond 6 is headroom, 66" on the BA and 76" on the Marmot. It also has a lifetime warranty. One piece of advice that I did received from HogSnapper was a shelter. I looked around for a shelter that was 10'x10' and I could install and remove the walls, it rains sideways here in Oregon. I am going to pick up a BA Three Forks Shelter, it should work out great for my purpose. It only comes with one wall but I can buy 2 more at 25$ a piece. Best of all is with REI's Anniversary sale coming up I can pick up my tent with 20% off and the shelter is on sale for 139$. When I get all set up I will post pics of my first outing. Thanks for the good advice HogSnapper.

Comment

I went w/ the Big Agnes Big House 6 over the Flying Diamond 6. Mostly for the footprint considerations, as HogSnapper above pointed out. I bought the Vestibule in case I'm someplace where I have the room for it and / or its nasty out.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
          Jopopsy, let us know how you like that new tent. Hope it turns out better than the last one.
          It had better right ?!

Comment

I analyzed the heck out of the different tents and eventually went with the marmot capstone 6 for a multitude of reasons, but some of the little things were that I really like how the marmot tents are color coded / lined up for easily figuring out what corner of the tent/fly, etc. goes where. And I can setup the capstone by myself which was crucial. I'm 6'3" and can stand up in the main area of the tent. I considered the flying diamond tents and if to do over again, I might consider something more like the Big Agnes Big House or comparative. I think for sturdyness the Cabelas options looked really good, but I like the design aspects of the marmot much better. I also have a smaller near backpacking size tent that is also marmot. I've been very happy with it.

Comment

Thanks KC I also like the layout of the Marmot capstone 6. I am still waiting to receive it from REI as it was on backorder. I bought it during the 30% off sale that REI just had. I called the other day and they told me that it would be in today or tomorrow, as of this time I am still waiting on an email from REI. I have a fishing trip planned for it so I hope it gets here soon. When I have it in my hot little hands I will post my thoughts.

Comment

One concern I sometimes have is the fact that you can only buy it online or it appears that way... or maybe just most people don't go with something that big. ? I just know that some of the tents seem like they are more widely available such as the Big Agnes tents, but I don't know if that necessarily means that they are any better. Are you getting a footprint that goes with it? I didn't put the money down yet, but my smaller tent when it is just me (also Marmot) actually came with the foot print and I really like it because everything is sized perfectly. But for the Capstone you are looking at between $60-80 for a footprint and wondering if it is worth it versus buying a something else and engineering it to fit the tent... or just going without the footprint.? They are also almost always backordered as well.

Comment

Working...
                X