Some advise on tent setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advise on tent setup

I recently decided to retire my old canvas tent (20yrs old and patched up to no end), did some research and ended up getting the Big Agnes Big House 4 (came with a free footprint) http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Tents/...use-4-tent.jsp. I decided since the tent is a free standing I would give it a test setup (or two) in the basement. The tent setup fairly easily however when completed I noticed that the pole that connects the two sides sit about 2-3 inches off of the ground and the inside floor is raised about 2-3 inches up and is rather taunt through the middle of the tent.

I have attached photos of what I am talking about (picture quality is somewhat poor). I realize that since the tent is on the concrete floor and not staked down but based on how the stakes work I don’t think that will help at all. Having the fly on or off does not seem to affect this

Anyone have any experience with this issue (and or tent) and have any advise? Or am I just seeing nothing in this situation?

Thanks,
    William
    Attached Files

Re: Some advise on tent setup

If this is just the ends of the middle pole and not the corners it's most likely nothing to worry about - the purpose of the middle pole is primarily to push out the sides/top of the tent to give you more space inside, it doesn't necessarily need to rest on the ground to support the tent, the other poles are doing that.

If it puts your mind at ease at all, I have three tents where the there is a pole over the tent that doesn't even come down to the ground (by design) and it is not a problem at all.

Comment

Its free standing yes, but I believe this goes away once you stake out the tent. I think mine did the same thing, but becomes a non-issue once staked.

Also make sure that middle pole goes OVER the corner diagonal poles, and not under them.

Comment

I have a Coleman tent that does that. Never been a problem once staked down. Imagine that a "HIGH" end tent with the same issue as what some call a "CHEAP" tent.

Comment

Its not a "issue" on either of the tents.

Comment

Working...
          X