St. Joseph Peninsula State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Joseph Peninsula State Park

We are headed to Cape San Blas the first week of June. We are camping in the state park. We can't wait. Does anyone have tips for staying cool while camping.

Signed,
    Menopausal Momma
    :cool:

Re: St. Joseph Peninsula State Park

We Floridians don't camp in June. Hopefully you will have lots of mesh and there will be a breeze. If you have an electric hookup perhaps a fan? No heavy sleeping bag required.

Comment

We've camped there in July and August - cots, sheets, fan, and DEET are a must ! :cool:
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

As a Floridian, I have camped in June, but it is not my favorite time of year for camping. Just prepare for the sweat. With the humidity the way it is, there is almost nothing you can do to avoid it. Cape San Blas should have a nice breeze from the water and like a previous poster said, you can definitely swim. A cool washcloth around your neck and a few 10 inch 02cool fans will go a long way to make you more comfortable in the afternoons or evenings too. A tent with plenty of mesh helps too!

Comment

Sure, you can swim, but the water temperature in summer in the Gulf can typically be nearly as warm as the air temp (trust me, I've gone several times). You only get cooler by getting into, and then out of, the water, into the breeze, then you feel a bit cooler as the water evaporates off you skin. My SO and I both hail from 100-degree/100% humidity locales, so we can put up with such places, but stay inside the RV with dual ACs off the 50-amp service. Most folks would never attempt tent camping there once they experience a Florida summer! Tent campers would be advised to also do the "duct tape around the window opening" and run a portable or window-mounted AC to have a pleasant experience at night. This is not a place for tent camping under any other circumstances, in my opinion.
          Last edited by tplife; 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Oy. Maybe we will borrow our neighbors pop up. I can't imagine the first week of June will be outrageous. I am buying a tent room to go over the table outside and we will have fans. We must be one extreme or another campers because we went to Rainbow Springs State Park in February and it was 28 degrees at night. Brrr... Too much mesh in the tent then. A portable heater did the trick though!

Comment

If you'r buying a screened room to go over the table, make sure it's a mesh that's no seeum proof. We got run out of St.Joe SP by them and we were in a motor home. Our new REI tent has mesh.
              Nights camping in 2013-----12
              Nights camping in 2014----- 4
              Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Working...
              X