Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to forum and just bought a new tent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum and just bought a new tent.

Hello everyone my name is Nathan I am 35 years old with a wife and 2 boys. I am in the military stationed in Germany. I am not new to tents I am only new to the civilian ones.lol I have camped in all sorts of tents including canvas tents(the old hex, gp medium and gp large) and whatever the new Army tents(drash tents and crew tents) are made of these days. I have also camped in a lot of different types of weather for extended amount of days. So I hopefully I can help and maybe get some good advice from some of you later down the road.

I have used the cheap Coleman Tents and found some even last a little while. I have been researching a while on which tent to get and I was also limited on which American type tents I can purchase here because I am currently in Germany and our post exchange has only a hand full of tents. Most of those tents are Coleman and Wenzel. They have Eureka but only 2 man tents. I needed a family tent for at least 3 or more weekends a year that can withstand strong gusts of wind. My 8 man Coleman was a good starter tent but when the wind picks up the tent flexes to much and ends up in your face while trying to sleep.

I ended up getting a Vango Icarus 600. It was one of a few tents I could find actually wind tested over here. It has an outer shell and an inner sleeping pod for 6 people split in the middle so 3 on each side. My wife made me get the carpet for the living area and the footprint for under the tent.lol I set it up for the first time yesterday and it seems very stable with thick strong fiberglass poles. The only problem I can see with the tent is when it rains the door in the front is slanted and I'm sure water will get in when entering the tent. But at least it is nowhere near the sleeping pods. There is a fix for this and once the rainy season hits I will order the canopy for the front. It would also give us a larger place to sit around with a few friends and eliminating a need to bring a portable gazebo with us.

Below are a few pics I took after I setup everything.

Re: New to forum and just bought a new tent.

Welcome to our campfire! Tis always grand to hear from another tenter! Welcome!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
    X