Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do tents without full rain flys keep out rain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do tents without full rain flys keep out rain?

I'm looking at tents such as the Coleman Oasis and don't understand how these hal-sized rain flies can possibly keep out rain. I currently own a tent with a rain fly like this, and I can tell you from first-hand experience that the rain hits the side of the tent, gets wet, and drips rain straight through where the rain fly doesn't cover.

Re: How do tents without full rain flys keep out rain?

Rain flys should extend all the way to the ground.Tents with half flys are not suitable for anything more than a light sprinkle and even then if it is windy the rain can blow in against the main tent.

Comment

Coleman tents suck! Just like their EZ-UP tents are just more parts to break. They market these tents to those first time campers that buy on impulse.. All these tents are good for is the back yard for your kids. You could not give me a Coleman tent.. Their rain flys are useless..
      Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

A quality tent has a breathable, inner wall and a waterproof outer wall. The only maintenance, other than brushing off or occasional hand washing with dish detergent, is seam sealing applied with a small paintbrush. Outer wall, same deal, seam sealing. I'll part here with HogSnapper's good advice regarding coatings, while I've tried this at home more than once, I discovered that Once you get into coatings and sprays you're fooling youself and will only end up with ugly nasty fabric and little snowstorms - you're no match for the uv damage. The waterproof coatings are hermetically bonded in at the factory and can't be duplicated at home with sprays...Save your money for a quality tent or simply buy another cheap one.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought. My next tent will have a full rain fly.

Comment

Been using Coleamn tents for a while now and have only had an issue a couple of times during some real nasty storms. Then all that happened was a bit of dampness no soaking at all. Once the worst passed by it was fine. Maybe it's how you set it up??? Thats my experience you mileage will vary.

Comment

Like the other folks mentioned and as you learned through experience, no amount of waterproofing will be as good as a full rain fly

If you have a tent with a mini-skirt rain fly, all is not lost. You can easily an affordable add coated rainfly nylon to your existing rainfly with no more than 45 Minutes planning and sewing with a household sewing machine

Comment

I still use a Coleman tent. Used it last year and it rained during the night and water leaked into my tent. Luckily not much got wet but my jacket, but it was the only jacket I had.

Comment

Originally posted by frank6160 View Post
                  Been using Coleamn tents for a while now and have only had an issue a couple of times during some real nasty storms. Then all that happened was a bit of dampness no soaking at all. Once the worst passed by it was fine. Maybe it's how you set it up??? Thats my experience you mileage will vary.
                  This has been my experience as well. I have had few issues in rainstorms. I do keep fabric items off the floor - I use a cot, which has been maligned in many threads - but both the Coleman tent and the cot work for me.
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

That's a good point, actad. A cot would eliminate any "early morning surprises" when a bathtub floor gives out at the seams!
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I've been using Coleman Weathermasters for going on 4 years now while family camping in Oregon. Haven't been wet yet. Then again, it doesn't really rain up here, per se. Not compared to Texas thunderstorms at least. It sprinkles, drizzles and showers for 7 months.

Comment

Hope no one minds that I've revived an old thread here, but after reading some of the comments about Coleman tents I thought I'd share my experience. My wife and I are on our second Coleman tent. The first one lasted 10 years (using it 4 to 6 times a year) and weathered many a storm...even a tropical storm while camped out on the beach in SC! (The tropical storm did snap a couple of tent poles, but some duct tape was applied and we were back in business for the rest of the trip). Even during the heaviest of rains and winds the most water we ever had enter the tent was maybe enough to fill a thimble. Very little water indeed. Our present tent is a Coleman Sundome and it too has gone through some strong storms most recently during a trip to Florida that saw a tornado pass just a few miles from camp!). Again, we stayed snug and dry. On another occasion following a downpour while camping in PA I saw many other tent campers hanging out their sleeping bags etc to dry while my tent (the Sundome) remained dry inside.

I've come to trust my Coleman tents...I know that if the storms come I'll be dry and snug in my tent.
                        Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Nothing wrong with sharing your thoughts on any thread. Personally, I like hearing stories about old reliable gear.

Comment

In a pinch I suppose one could put up a tarp over the tent instead of a rain fly. This would also keep the sun from wearing down the materials.
                            Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                            Nights under the stars:
                            2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                            2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              Nothing wrong with sharing your thoughts on any thread. Personally, I like hearing stories about old reliable gear.
                              I'm with MacGyver on this one. Share away caheaton.
                              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X