Wolves... and dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolves... and dogs

A few decades ago, wolves were re-introduced to Wisconsin. The project was successful and now we have wolves again. Similar wolf re-introduction projects have been implimented in other states

This is something to be aware of when you camp with pets. I never thought much about wolves when camping... until recently.

A few daysago, my dog and I were winter camping in the Nicolet National Forest area which is known to have wolves. In fact, the park ranger who is also a dog lover told me to be careful with my dog in the forest because there had been several wolf sightings recently.

When I set up camp, I saw a large blood stain on the snow with a wolf print (or at least a big canine print) right on top of the blood patch, and of course, wolf/canine prints all around camp. The campsite is a walk-in site that gets very little traffic in winter. I was the only camper on the whole lake and saw no other people there for the several days we camped.

Foolishly, I paid no heed to the warnings and markings of wolves and set up camp anyway. At night, I could hear a group of large animals surrounding our tent - within inches of our tent (my dog sleeps in the tent with me). There were about four or five of the animals around our tent. I could hear them sniffing at our tent with their noses right up against the walls of our tent and scratching at the snow around our tent. My dog woke up and was upset -not barking as usual, but kind of whimpering and whining and making circles inthe tent. I told him to lay down and be quiet and he did exactly what I told him to do - shivering and trembling quietly. I turned on my light and yelled and the animals eventually went away. They didn't run away timidly. I heard them hang around for awhile, then saunter away after I made lots of noise and flashed the light. At that moment, I was really thinking about Hogsnapper's posts about bringing a firearm camping! I put my gloves on,wrapped a scarf around my neck, had my knife ready, and then did my best to scare the animals away with noise and light. I knew that if a pack of wolves attacked us inside the tent, we wouldn't stand a chance.

In the morning when the sun came up, the only prints around the tent were canine and they could have been my own dog's prints, but I didn't see any deer prints or other large mammal prints, so indications were that we were visited by the local wolf pack.

That was unsettling. With a dog, I am more worried about wolves than bears.Wolves and coyotes will agressively fight and kill domestic dogs. I was surprised to find that the most recent data from 2011 had 28 reports of dogs being killed by wolves in Nicolet National Forest in Wisconsin - many of them while they were walking with their owners.

Attached is a photo of the blood patch with the wolf print. The other photois my dog at our winter campsite.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ringo winter camping by tent cropped.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	72566
    Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf print on blood on snow highlited.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	72567
    Last edited by Mike; 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM.

Re: Wolves... and dogs

Thanks for sharing this dangerous experience! Indeed, everyone can learn from this real-life adventure!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I live in an area with heavy coyote traffic. They rarely run in packs and they rarely attack dogs unless they are small. Coyotes favorite food is rabbit, rodents and Pronghorn antelope fawns and we have plenty of those around here to keep them busy. My two dogs are in the 55 pound range, are often outside without fencing, and coyotes -- usually one, rarely a pack -- do not mess with them. Anyone who has a small dog or cat in this area and lets them out unattended is asking for a missing dog or cat poster. Wolves on the other hand run in highly social packs with an alpha leading the way and managing the hunt. They prefer big slow vulnerable prey, usually the youngest or oldest, injured or sick. Wolves are fine hunters and pick their prey wisely. They can chase prey for 20-30 miles, trotting for most of that time. They compete with coyotes for territory although they don't go after Pronghorns that much. Interestingly, when wolves were reintroduced to Yellowstone they drove coyotes out of their territory. Coyotes had nearly decimated the Pronghorns in Yellowstone but once the wolves drove the coyotes out the Pronghorn rebounded. Also, the rodent population returned with the reduced coyote population and raptors, weasels and foxes returned because they eat rodents and now they had a food source that coyotes used to eat. The reintroduction of wolves also had an impact on elk herd grazing -- Elk move around more, seek higher ground, hide out in forests. But it is untrue that the reintroduction of wolves has led to a reduction in Elk. In fact, Elk are thriving. Wolves are definitely predators but they are also a keystone species. That is, they have more to do with keeping the egosystem healthy than they do damaging it. I wouldn't want to come upon a wolf pack up close but I have great regard for them, their importance to nature's balance, and their extraordinary complex social system.

PJ
      New Mexico

Comment

Ya, I used to have really romantic ideas about wolves; the lone wolf, the majestic hunter - the great balancer of the ecosystem.

Surely wolves are all of that, but when you are really up close and personal with them without a fence or piece of thick glass in-between, it isn't quite as romantic as it seems.

I tell you, when I saw those noses pressing up against the tent walls, and sniffing, I felt like the kids in Jurasic Park hiding in the kitchen cupboards when the raptors were looking for them.
        Last edited by Mike; 03-11-2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

glad all went ok Mike,
          here, only wolves we have are timberwolves which are few and rare,
          as for western wolves debate,
          i try not to cast judgement on the topic, leave it up to those that have to live with it,
          but from what i read, not many out west who live with the wolves are in favor of fed policy,
          like anything else, many want local control of such things when it becomes a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            glad all went ok Mike,
            here, only wolves we have are timberwolves which are few and rare,
            as for western wolves debate,
            i try not to cast judgement on the topic, leave it up to those that have to live with it,
            but from what i read, not many out west who live with the wolves are in favor of fed policy,
            like anything else, many want local control of such things when it becomes a problem.

I probably would not be so concerned about wolves if I was alone or with other humans, but I knew they were after my dog. My dog was in my tent and it was kind of like having piece of seal meat tied to your leg in shark water.

I suppose, a fellow could kick his dog out of the tent and let him fend for himself, but I couldn't do that. I am sure that my dog would fight to protect me, so I was willing to fight to protect him too.

Wolf populations are on the rise in North America, so it is something we need to be aware of. It shouldn't keep us out of the forests, but it is another dimension of safety consiousness we need to develop.

Comment

No, I'm not romantic about wolves. Hardly. More than most I have an understanding and deep respect for their key place in nature and their complex social system. But as I wrote -- they are predators and I don't want to encounter a pack up close and personal.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mike;24637]

That was unsettling.

"Unsettling"... I think I would've used a stronger word . Great story; great lesson to be learned. Very glad you and your companion made it thru the night unharmed. So ... did you leave the site the next day?
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

[QUOTE=GlitterHiker;24672]
                  Originally posted by Mike View Post

That was unsettling.

So ... did you leave the site the next day?
                  Yes, now that you mention it, we DID leave the campsite the next day. We cross-country skied the area during the day and then left.

Comment

Glad it turned out all right for you both.
                    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Working...
                    X