Tent camping with your dog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping with your dog.

Hi, I've been tent camping most of my life and recently am interested in taking my dogs along. I have a golden/doodle that is plenty active and need some ideas on what would make it better for him, me, and other campers. Thanks
    Go Camping! it's one of the best ways to experience God's Glory!

Re: Tent camping with your dog.

I would agree with HS... I take my dog to the lake every so often, he knows all his commands and sleeps inside with me at night. I do however still keep a lead on him at night and hold on as Gus is extremely protective. Last game warden to ask to see my fishing license was thinking twice about getting too close to me. Because of that instance, we went through another discipline class. He is a great companion for camping. I'll try to find some pics of him out there. I do take his food and water bowl that he normally eats out of as well as a few of his favorite toys. I don't get a lot of fishing done when he goes with me, I'll spend most of my time playing with him. Last trip we spent a lot of time swimming and him biting the waves.
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

I agree with Hogsnapper and West Texas. My dog obeys my commands better than the kids do. He knows the rules and never strays from camp. When he hears my whistle, he stops on a dime and runs back to me immediately. A dog that does not obey commands and dogs that run wild and will not stay close to you really do not belong in campgrounds or open wilderness under any circumstances. I know people who's dogs run wild when they are not on a leash as if they have escaped from prison. They come back only at their own will and hang around only as they please. These dogs do not belong in the open uncontrolled environment of either developed campgrounds or wilderness camping.

There are inside dogs, and there are outside dogs. Inside dogs live, eat, and sleep inside the house every night. Inside dogs typical daily range is their yard and mosts of the steps they take involve a leash. Inside dog's primary purpose is companionship and petting. Inside dogs you can bring to developed campsites and you can sleep with them inside the tent.

Outside dogs mostly live in a pen outside and sleep outside - not inside with people. Outside dogs usually have a purpose for hunting or guarding the house or farm from the outside. Outside dogs are accustomed to running free while hunting or exploring the long distances of the great outdoors - often together with their master. Outside dogs typically do not do well at developed campsites with lots of people. Outside dogs are best at wilderness camps where they will not disturb other campers and are comfortable with the wilderness surroundings.

Inside dogs are mellow when inside tents and they will sleep with you without too much disturbance. Outside dogs usually feel very uncomfortable and sometimes even anxious in tents. My outside dog used his nails to shred my tent wall to get outside. My inside dog knows how to open the zipper on the tent door and he uses it.

Dogs are always great companions - especially outdoors and when camping. It is easier to change your camping location and style than it is to change the personality and character of your dog, so DO bring your dog, but choose the camping area accordingly.

Comment

It is of absolute importance that your dog's vaccinations be up-to-date, as dogs can encounter un-vaccinated animals while camping. Dog licenses should also be current. And ask your vet about the areas where you will be camping/traveling, as some carry additional health risks for dogs and may warrant additional precautions.

Camp Etiquette:

Here are 5(five) easy things to remember when you decide to take your dog camping with you.

1) Always keep your dog on a leash:

This sounds so trite and as a dog owner you have heard it time and time again. But, it is one of the most common problems. There are a number of issues associated with letting your dog off-leash in a campground. First, they could get lost while running after a rabbit, deer, or coyote. Second, there might be a bigger, dog-aggressive dog tied up in the next campsite that could eat your dog for lunch. Third, you are giving the rest of us a bad rap and the campground might decide to ban dogs. Enough said, I hope.

2) Call ahead:

Even though campground guides may tell you that the campground accepts dogs. Be sure to call ahead, because many of them only accept dogs under 25 pounds or they charge per pet.

3) Clean up after your dog:

A friend has found that the bags sold for doggie do do are very expensive in pet stores. Instead, they use simple food storage bags from the grocery store. Not the kind with zipper seals, but the plain old gallon size food storage bags with twist ties. These are slightly larger than the pet store bags at less than half the price. The only drawback is that they are clear instead of colored, but you’ll get used to it!

4) Make sure your dogs don’t bark too much:

A lot of dog guides recommend that you stay home if you have a dog that barks too much. This is not fair, every dog should go camping. If you have a dog that barks his head off at the drop of a pin, you probably better spend some time training him. Try to give him treats whenever he stops barking upon command, eventually he will get the picture.

5) Dog aggressive or people aggressive dogs:

Again, everything I have read recommends that you keep these kinds of dogs at home. I disagree. Dog aggression and people aggression are often natural behaviors for dogs. The trick is to keep these dogs under ABSOLUTE control at all times. You must be diligent in this one, or someone or some dog could be seriously injured. Here is what I have learned from our friend's dog that is afraid of strangers and weighs 130 pounds.

a) Get a restraining collar that provides total control of your dog.

b) Please leash them outdoors at the campsite, always be outside with them.

c) Don’t take them for hikes on trails, this is asking for trouble.

d) Find a campground with spacious sites.

e) If you must take them in crowded situations, use a muzzle (but only use a muzzle sparingly).

f) Be vigilant at all times.

Following these five simple rules will allow you and your dogs to enjoy camping, while not creating any complaints from other campers. If you do receive a complaint for any reason, try to be bigger than the complainant - act calmly and address the problem. After all, you are going camping to enjoy life!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
          5) Dog aggressive or people aggressive dogs:

Again, everything I have read recommends that you keep these kinds of dogs at home. I disagree. Dog aggression and people aggression are often natural behaviors for dogs. The trick is to keep these dogs under ABSOLUTE control at all times. You must be diligent in this one, or someone or some dog could be seriously injured. Here is what I have learned from our friend's dog that is afraid of strangers and weighs 130 pounds.

a) Get a restraining collar that provides total control of your dog.

b) Please leash them outdoors at the campsite, always be outside with them.

c) Don’t take them for hikes on trails, this is asking for trouble.

d) Find a campground with spacious sites.

e) If you must take them in crowded situations, use a muzzle (but only use a muzzle sparingly).

f) Be vigilant at all times.

I agree with most of your points here, RenoDesertFox, except for the part about aggressive dogs. Aggressive dogs really do not belong around people or other animals. Campgrounds are not a good training ground for aggressive dogs because other people and pets pay the cost for your training in the most disasterous ways.

You might have an aggressive dog on a leash, but if he is growling and foaming at the mouth pulling at the teather as other folks walk by, then their camping experience will be one filled with dread and concern. That is how I feel when I know that somebody has an aggressive dog in camp and I have children or pets in the camp. I worry that one mistake by the owner could be my family's personal disaster. The worst aggressive dogs look passive until somebody or some other pet gets close enough for them to attack then they unleash their savagery. This is especially dangerous for young children who might walk up to pet an aggressive dog.

Anybody who has been bitten by a dog or had their pets attacked by another dog best understands the dangers of aggressive dogs.

A few months ago, I went ski-hiking with my buddy. We both brought our dogs. His dog was a "rescue dog". When our dogs got together, his dog wasted no time in attacking my dog ferociously. Both of us big men fought with all our might to get his dog off of my dog and it was a bloody mess. If either of us had a gun at the time, there would have only been one dog left standing and that would have been a tragedy. Luckily, I have a collie with a thick mane or he would not have survived the attack. As it was, he was hurt and had to recover from injuries.

If you have an aggressive dog that will attack other dogs or people, the best thing to do, in my opinion, is use them for junk-yard guard dogs, or put them to sleep. Aggressive dogs are more unpredictable and more dangerous than a live rattlesnake.
          Last edited by Mike; 03-07-2013, 03:30 AM.

Comment

This is all great info and I now realize I have some training to do. Aside from simple sit, come, fetch commands, we are lacking the discipline it would take to go off leash. My dogs are inside dogs but love to run the fenced in back yard. I'm afraid that unless our focus was on fetching a frisbie, we'd be all up inside everybody's business.
            Love my dogs and camping, hoping to enjoy them together.
            Thanks
            Go Camping! it's one of the best ways to experience God's Glory!

Comment

Aggressive dogs should not be taken. You may think you can control them but they are an animal and will acton instinct if threatened or scared. Also as stated CLEANUP YOUR DOGS CRAP. Nothing worse than stepping in or setting up camp and finding a pile too close for comfort. I camped one holiday weekend a lady her 3 kids and dog set up very close to us. I didn't mind that as the kids were about my grandsons age and they played well but 10 minutes after they were there the pooch pooped within 2 feet of my table. She payed no mind to it till I finally said something.

Comment

At least in regards to WI state parks. Unless in designated areas pets must be leashed at all times. The leash can be no longer than 8 feet. A couple we were camping with got a $180 fine for having their dog off leash a few years ago. Of course enforcement will vary.
                http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/rules/pets.html

Comment

Besides the rules of where you are going camping, just remember to not infringe on other campers with your dog. If they are aggressive or bark, don't take them. Pick up after them. I feel the same about kids. If you are not going to control your kids and make sure they don't infringe on other campers trying to have a somewhat peaceful time, then don't take them either. Lol.

And by the way, I have a dog and a kid.

Comment

That reminds me of a couple of years ago camping with another couple. I still remember the name of the one of our neighbor's dog. Pumpkin! I would say on average, during waking hours, we heard that dogs name yelled 15 times an hour. The woman yelling at the dog was more bothersome than the dog itself! It was annoying at the time put didn't stop us from enjoying ourselves. Now it makes for a good laugh when someone randomly yells pumpkin

Comment

Originally posted by timd View Post
                      At least in regards to WI state parks. Unless in designated areas pets must be leashed at all times. The leash can be no longer than 8 feet. A couple we were camping with got a $180 fine for having their dog off leash a few years ago. Of course enforcement will vary.
                      http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/rules/pets.html
                      That is a good reminder, Timd. I did have a Wisconsin State Park Ranger come to my campsite and remind me to keep my dog on a leash even though he was mellow and sleeping at the campsite. One thing I can tell you about park rangers is that they will warn you once, but the second time you get a fine.

I am willing to bet that the rules are the same for other state and national parks.

The rule of thumb is the differentiation between a County/State/National PARK vs. FOREST. In virtually any PARK, dogs have to be on a leash. In FORESTS, dogs often/usually can be off-leash. Of course, you want to check to be sure.

Remember that developed public campsites within a FOREST will almost always require the dogs to be leashed.

If you are hiking on a trail within a PARK, the dog must be leashed, but if you are on a trail in a county/state/national FOREST, the dogs can usually be off-leash
                      Last edited by Mike; 03-11-2013, 09:49 AM.

Comment

One thing I have learned out walking with small dogs is to use a harness on them, not a neck collar with a leash. When attacked by a large dog one time, my instinct (and yours may be too) was to jerk my dog up off the ground. With a neck collar, this can kill them. With a harness, you raise the entire dog. Of course if you raise the dog off the ground, be prepared for the larger dog to come after you as well. Like one of the posters said, my dog would fight to defend me, so I would also defend my dog to the best of my ability.

Comment

Exercise. If you are at a developed campsite with paved trails or roads, here is an option for a dog powered scooter for a bigger dog.

http://www.dogpoweredscooter.com/

My dog is small enough at 13lbs that I can hook her lead to my belt and she trots along beside my human-powered push scooter.
                          Last edited by actad; 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM.
                          - Laura
                          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Some great stuff already posted in this thread and like Mike posted, I'm lucky enough to have a dog that, not only heeds my every word, but also will not to stray away from us. And while she loves to chase the occasional squirrel when I tell her that she can "get em", she will also stop on a dime as soon as I tell her to or if the "rabbit" itself stops running. She never chases to attack, she just loves the chase. She's also very social with other people, kids especially & animals of any type.

When we were in camp & a leash was required I rigged up an easy tether using a long rope tied overhead between two trees with a large s-biner clipped to it. I could then attach her retractable leash to that and she could pretty much roam the entire camp site without getting tangled up or the leash getting in our way. The s-biner made attaching the leash easy & also aided in it sliding back & forth.

I also agree that using a harness rather than a collar is the way to go. Collars just slip off way to easily. If you really want to go all out too, I've seen dog harness packs that allow them to help carry some of your gear.

Comment

Working...
                            X