New to Tent Camping, Worried About Widlife Threat, Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Tent Camping, Worried About Widlife Threat, Need Advice

Hello, found this forum while searching the internet. New to forums. We are planning a camping trip with our tent to Virginia in late August on some private land near Natural Tunnel State Park. I did some research and learned about some of the wildlife there, black bears, bobcats, and snakes. I am terrified of these but am a trooper for anything, and I have read up about keeping food away, no scents of food, no scented deodorant, and the like, but my question to you avid tent campers is: Is is safe to tent camp with the threat of a black bear or bobcats? What are the chances of a threat? The area has some black bears but is not heavily populated. I know not to place our tent on top of a snake hole. Anyways, any comforting or uncomforting information would be helpful whether we should get a cabin or stay at hotel or soak up the beautiful outdoor living. Thanks to you.

Re: New to Tent Camping, Worried About Widlife Threat, Need Advice

I live in an area populated by bobcats and coyotes and snakes and some bears. I have had bobcats and coyotes, especially coyotes, around my house numerous times, sometimes daily. A mountain lion will wander through now and then. Bobcats and coyotes do not normally attack humans. If cornered they would probably put up a fearsome fight but out in the open where they can get away they usually keep their distance. Make noise and they take off. Rattlers will strike if you come upon them suddenly. Dogs off leash tend to mess with rattlers and get bitten. The emergency vet treatment for that costs a small fortune. The local ER sees about 2-3 humans with snake bites each week all summer long. It would be good to know snake markings and habits in your area. For instance, we have lots of bull snakes here and some are up to ten feet long. They are good snakes, don't bite, eat mice. With all this wild life here I have to confess that what stopped me cold was the migration of tarantulas here last year. Hate spiders, especially black furry ones the size of my fist.

PJ
    northern New Mexico

PJC

Comment

the only animal I have had visit my camp was a racoon. And that was due improper disposal of trash. Most animals will avoid human contact. Mind your manners with what you stated above and you will be fine. I also take a 12 guage shotgun, just in case.
      Deer, elk, turkey, snakes, mountain lions, bears i my neck of the mountains
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Sounds like you already have the basics. Keep the food away from the tent, including while eating. Haven't run across any bears yet, did have a mountain lion walk through our camp in 1990... that was really cool. He just walked through, didn't seem bothered by us. I read somewhere that for the smaller critters like the racoons, zip the tent door to the top as they will figure out how to unzip if the zipper is at the bottom.
        "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Rather than being afraid of wildlife, consider yourself lucky if you see it. Seeing a bear or a bobcat under any circumstances is so rare that it is a celebrated moment for any outdoorsman. You MIGHT see a racoon, but chances are you will not actually see them. You will see the mess they leave in your camp.

The only wildlife you really have to be careful of in North America is grizzly bears and you are not in grizzly bear country. If you are REALLY lucky, you MIGHT see a black bear. I have been an avid tent camper for 40 years and have only seen black bear a few times - most at a distance and very briefly. If you are lucky enough to have a black bear come into your camp, make a bunch of noise and they will run away.

You may read posts from the folks in Texas and Arizona who talk about snakes. The southwest USA states are snake central. If you had to find a snake, that would be the place to go. There are snakes around Virginia, but the chance of you stepping on a rattlesnake AND getting bitten are so rare that modern tales of it are legendary. For the record, I have actually stepped on poisonous snakes (in the soutwest USA) and not been bitten, so SEEING and even coming in close contact with a poisonous snake doesn't mean you will get bit (just ask your Virginia snake handling church-goers about that).

Remember that the risk of you getting hurt in an automobile accident driving in your own neighborhood is literally tens of millions of times greater than you being attacked and harmed by a wild animal while camping. Don't take my word for it. Call your insurance agent. They have the statistics and after hearing them, I am sure you will laugh at your fears of being attacked by a wild animal.
          Last edited by Mike; 02-10-2013, 12:35 AM.

Comment

This was a rock rattlesnake I stepped over three times before I ever saw him.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3101.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	69637

This is in the southwest desert and this particular snake is very passive. They don't strike unless you step on them or surprise them. The only problem is they blend in so well that you really have to pay attention to see them. This day I had been preaching to my daughter to watch where she steps because of snakes and I didn't spot him till the third time I walked past. On the time I spotted him my foot was on the rock about 6" from his head and he moved slightly and his movement was what alerted me to his being there. Pulled my foot back slowly and took the long way around. :p
            "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Comment

There have been some instances of people being attacked by black bears in the southeast US. There are 2 things to remember around black bears: they like food, and they get really mad if you remotely appear to threaten their cubs.

So to avoid problems---first of all practice good food hygiene in your camp, and also do not stay in a campground where it is not enforced. The campground should either have no trash cans, as in you pack your own out, or they should be total bear-proof types. Not just ordinary trash cans with regular lids, for sure. Keep your food away from your tent, and clean up thoroughly around cooking areas.

Secondly, make plenty of noise when walking around. You don't want to startle a bear. If you see a bear, just start backing away slowly, if you see a cub, get out of the vicinity really fast. Keep small children and dogs very close to you. Dogs must be leashed at all times. Either one can run off in some random direction, just when you need them to move away.

You are not likely to ever see a bear.

I can pretty much guarantee you will not see a bobcat. They may see you, but you will not see them and they will not bother you. Same for snakes.

Check with park rangers about wildlife activity, including bears, in the area where you are camping. They will have good info.

Comment

Great advice coolmom42. I read somewhere that if you do happen to run into a bear, your not supposed to make eye contact. Not sure of the validity of that one. Do agree with making noise so as not to accidently sneak up on them. With mountain lions, if you come across one staring you down, act big, yell, swing sticks, show teeth, whatever you can to look bigger than him. But again, chances of seeing one are slim to none.

Comment

I went camping this weekend in florida and no chance of bears wear i was camping but did run into a boar with a friend of mine while hiking and took off in to the brush. I cant wait to hear the cries of the coyotes at night. Its just the part of nature that i love. Wish i could see more animals.
                  Last edited by swebob; 02-11-2013, 09:27 PM.
                  Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

I have been planning to visit the Smoky Mountains in the near future, so I have run across this page recently. Hope this helps.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm

Comment

I don't remember seeing much of any wildlife when I was visiting the smokies years ago, other than squirrels (mmm). Here out in the Southwest, I'd celebrate seeing a bear - once it's head is stuffed on a plaque over my fireplace (sorry Mr. Mule deer, but you've been punked!). I have seen bobcats before, treed with spotlights but that's not in a hunting situation. Usually it's the same ol' racoons and squirrels and rats looking for marshmallow and cracker tidbits after the fire has died down. We've had warnings of cougars around the campground before but luckily it didn't come in for a visit to meet my close friend Mr. Walther Peefour, hehe!
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I don't care who you are, thats funny...:D

Oh... and I've only had squirrel one time, but will never forget how good it was.

Comment

Okay, stupid question here. I keep hearing about keeping food away from your campsite and not eating around your tent. My question is how far? I mean, usually your tent is right next to your campfire where you usually will fix all your meals. So, how far away from your tent should you stay with food? So do I have to walk into the woods to eat my food?

Comment

200' downwind from tent per the Backpacker's Field Manual. The main thing is if in bear country, you dont want any food smells on your tent. Same for any spilled foods or wash water on the ground as that could lead the critters right to your tent.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                              Okay, stupid question here. I keep hearing about keeping food away from your campsite and not eating around your tent. My question is how far? I mean, usually your tent is right next to your campfire where you usually will fix all your meals. So, how far away from your tent should you stay with food? So do I have to walk into the woods to eat my food?
                              The layout of your campsite will dictate where/how you can hang your food.
                              If its a public campground, you will be limited, and such place have rules on how to stash your food.
                              If its more primitive camping, further the better, and preferably downwind of your campsite.
                              Recommend in most situations is about 100 yds, but your site will determine if that's feasable.
                              Downwind is prefered because minimizes chance bears having to pass through your camp to follow the scent trail.

Comment

Working...
                              X