Portable Power Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Power Source

I have been trying to do some research on a portable power source and am coming up short. As best I can tell, a cheaper way to go would be to get a jumper box like this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQU5nAod3nUA6Q and then get a 150W inverter in order to charge my laptop, cell phone, camera battery etc. while camping.

I need my laptop because I make my money as a blogger. If I stopped blogging for the full 38 days of our trip, I would no longer have a source of income when I came home. The cell phone needs to be charged, because it will provide my wifi. In theory, the jump box should get me through a few days of use and then I could recharge it with the cigarette lighter in the car on the way to our next stop, since it charges much faster that way.

Does anyone else have a different portable power source that works for them or would this setup have a prayer of working?

Re: Portable Power Source

Kbunn, in my experience with jumper devices, you'll be sorely disappointed. Those jumper boxes are really small motorcycle batteries inside of large housings, they are designed for starting and not as a discharging power source, and they offer a short lifespan of recharges for the initial cost. I was lucky that Wegan exchanged mine out after I learned why these aren't for use as power supplies, now it's used as it was intended, as a portable battery jumper. I put a real power supply together soon after, an Optima Blue-Top Marine Battery with dual fusing, multiple Wegan 12V power outlets, quick disconnect wiring, and 5-12V converter - an inverter is not your friend as they draw 5-20W while plugged in, even without a device attached. A converter doesn't draw power when not in use. This Optima is a 55AH model that is the equal of it's cheaper but larger lead-acid battery that has few of the advantages of an AGM battery and several drawbacks due to type. I get a long-weekend of power out of my setup and a solar panel and charge controller would be the obvious add-on for longer time off the grid. Mine is a 2008 model that is kept float-charged when not in use and is still measuring full voltage after many, many outings...

Last edited by tplife; 01-30-2013, 05:51 PM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      Kbunn, in my experience with jumper devices, you'll be sorely disappointed. Those jumper boxes are really small motorcycle batteries inside of large housings, they are designed for starting and not as a discharging power source, and they offer a short lifespan of recharges for the initial cost. I was lucky that Wegan exchanged mine out after I learned why these aren't for use as power supplies, now it's used as it was intended, as a portable battery jumper. I put a real power supply together soon after, an Optima Blue-Top Marine Battery with dual fusing, multiple Wegan 12V power outlets, quick disconnect wiring, and 5-12V converter - an inverter is not your friend as they draw 5-20W while plugged in, even without a device attached. A converter doesn't draw power when not in use. This Optima is a 55AH model that is the equal of it's cheaper but larger lead-acid battery that has few of the advantages of an AGM battery and several drawbacks due to type. I get a long-weekend of power out of my setup and a solar panel and charge controller would be the obvious add-on for longer time off the grid. Mine is a 2008 model that is kept float-charged when not in use and is still measuring full voltage after many, many outings...

Thanks to both of you for the detailed posts. I am not opposed to rigging my own setup, but I was not able to find a detailed tutorial anywhere online as of yet. A lot of people list what they used, but not actually how to put it together. This isn't my area of expertise obviously, but I could definitely do it if I had instructions. Do you all know of a link to a tutorial I could use?

Also, how exactly do you recharge these on the go? I would be afraid of a solar panel, with four boys, things tend to get broken no matter how much care I use. Is there a way to charge it through the cigarette lighter while driving to our next stop?

Thanks again!

Comment

are you planning on camping in camprounds with electricity? Would an invertor for your car charge your laptop while you drive?
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          are you planning on camping in camprounds with electricity? Would an invertor for your car charge your laptop while you drive?
          I think only one of our planned stops has electricity. We tried to cut them out and save money where possible by going with national or state parks that were $10 or less per night since we will be gone for 38 nights.

An invertor or even a DC charger for the laptop would work just fine when driving, but a lot of the places we will be at for 3 nights and I don't think the laptop would last that long on one charge. It takes me at least an hour or so to put up a post with uploading photos, editing them, and then there is the other late night work like checking emails and keeping up with other obligations. In addition, my DSLR battery will need to be kept charged and my cell phone, as that will be my source of Internet in most cases.

Comment

Okay, this tutorial was really straight forward and I know I can put a solar system like he has together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROyER7YT4DM

My question now is, does anyone know what I would need to hook up to a system like in that video that would allow me to charge it through the DC plug in my vehicle too? Just in case of rainy patches or to just top it off?
            Last edited by KBunn; 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Kbunn, from my understanding of panel output, that video's solar panel is too low in output for anything other than keeping the battery topped off, you'll want to basically cover the top of your vehicle with panels on the roof rack to provide running power to draw from and charge. His reliance on the internal fusing of the charge controller and inverter scares me, the cheap lead-acid battery gives off explosive gas and corrosive acids, that's why it requires the battery box.
              This website:
              http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
              or
              http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn/burn-power.html

Is a good starting point for 12V systems. Once you understand 12V's simplicity, simply choose any "12V emergency Ham Radio power supply" diagram, there are many available on the internet. Crimp connections will let you make repairs in the field without a soldering iron, and shrink wrap is cheap and keeps your connections covered from grounding. Use your electrical tape for field emergencies, it's miserable in hobby systems as it releases adhesive, is a dirt magnet, and doesn't age well. Walmart, RadioShack, and your local electronics store have about all the small parts you need to build a system, from as simple as two small battery clamps with wires (very crude) all the way up to a dual-fuse quick-disconnect (fittings you see on battery chargers) system like mine pictured above. Building these is too easy, if you can use a pair of plyers and a hair dryer you can build a nice system on the cheap. Charging on the go is easy, just plug one of the quick-disconnects right into your car's cigarette lighter. This will charge the AGM batter back up while you drive. AGM batteries are safe for use indoors, don't degas, don't put holes in your clothes from acid stains, can charge at twice the speed, can be discharged 20% deeper without damage, and typically last twice as long or more as lead-acid batteries. Wherever you have AC, simply plug your $15 WalMart float charger in and turn it on. As I recall, laptops are 19V. If you spend a few dollars more on a converter rather than an inverter, you will soon get your money back as your inverter won't be sucking 5-20W on its own to provide power to your laptop, which will also be drawing power. With only one device drawing power you'll have more available for a longer time.
              Last edited by tplife; 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Having a lead acid battery in a battery box emitting gases, and not to mention an exposed connection that could short out and you could have a fire in your car going down the road. Go with a sealed AMG battery that is safer.
                Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Google: power packs. We have the Duracellb 600HD Power pack. It is basically a deep cell 12 volt battery with a power inverter built into it. It has three 120 volt ac outlets and one 12 volt dc outlet. Mine is about 5 years old and still working fine. I read that the new ones also have two USB ports. mine does not but it is older.The unit can be charged from either your car while you are driving or from any 120 volt ac outlet. We use ours mainly when we are camping to keep our cell phones and other electronics charged. I have also used it to power my circular saw when I have had only a few cuts to make rather than running a long extension cord. While I can tell you that the Duracell 600HD is a great unit for what you seem to need there are other Power Packs available That may be just as good. Google Power P_acks and see for yourself. Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by Hikenhunter; 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Her is a video that will show you what this Power Pack has to offer www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxmMjVk9HA
                    Last edited by Hikenhunter; 02-01-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikenhunter View Post
                      Google: power packs. We have the Duracellb 600HD Power pack. It is basically a deep cell 12 volt battery with a power inverter built into it. It has three 120 volt ac outlets and one 12 volt dc outlet. Mine is about 5 years old and still working fine. I read that the new ones also have two USB ports. mine does not but it is older.The unit can be charged from either your car while you are driving or from any 120 volt ac outlet. We use ours mainly when we are camping to keep our cell phones and other electronics charged. I have also used it to power my circular saw when I have had only a few cuts to make rather than running a long extension cord. While I can tell you that the Duracell 600HD is a great unit for what you seem to need there are other Power Packs available That may be just as good. Google Power P_acks and see for yourself. Hope this helps.
                      I've been considering that unit as well. My father uses it for power outages to run a CPAP. He is able to get 3-4 nights running it during extended outages.

Comment

Originally posted by banukab View Post
                        I've been considering that unit as well. My father uses it for power outages to run a CPAP. He is able to get 3-4 nights running it during extended outages.
                        The more I think about it, the more I am considering the Duracell unit. Although I know it is not the very best option available and that I could likely rig up something a lot more powerful, the truth is I just don't know a lot about this type of thing and for what we need it for, I think the power pack would work well. I still have some time, so I am still playing around with the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hikenhunter View Post
                          Her is a video that will show you what this Power Pack has to offer www.youtube.com/watch?v=acxmMjVk9HA

I had 2 battery jumpers and the batteries in them were no more then a 12v 12 amp battery you will find in computer power back up. Maybe im wrong about these new ones but thats just about what the rest are they sell..
                          Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Originally posted by swebob View Post
                            I had 2 battery jumpers and the batteries in them were no more then a 12v 12 amp battery you will find in computer power back up. Maybe im wrong about these new ones but thats just about what the rest are they sell..
                            I don't know about amps but the battery is bigger than a computer backup and I think it it is a deep cell type of battery. In any event, we have been more than satisfied with it's ability to do what we need it to do. Because it is a battery it will eventually not hold a charge and I will buy another to replace it when that time comes.

Comment

Get one of these boxes

http://www.amazon.com/90761-POWER-BA...I2B9OHL0UBTDGL

pair it with a group 27 AGM battery, a charger, and either a generator or solar panels, and you will be set.

Comment

Working...
                              X