Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting back into camping

Hey there Gang,

First off let me introduce myself a little. I'm a married man, father of two little girls. Back in the day I used to be a Life Scout w/ over 10 years of real camping experience under my belt (Jamborees, Winter Camping, lots of rain, summers, etc.). I used to know a lot about camping, but time has washed away most of that. The one thing it hasn't washed away is how much fun I used to have.

So fast forward to now, I'm going to be taking my family camping starting in the spring.

My first item to purchase is the tent (of course). I've been ALL over the map with this. Part of me says go reasonably cheap and get a nice larger model (Eureka Sunrise 11, 300 beans). Part of me sees the Big Agnes Big House 6 on sale since it's last year's model and I think it's made much better than the Sunrise 11, but it's only 90 sq. feet. Lastly I've been reading all about these Kodiaks and am strongly considering the new 10x10 model w/ the windows all around.

I go round and round and round. My wife might want me to go camping by myself soon ....

In a perfect world the 10x14 Kodiak w/ all the windows would be awesome, but since I'm starting from scratch here I really don't have 600 bucks to drop on a tent.

So what say you guys? Am I on the right track here?

Re: Getting back into camping

How big is your family and how are you planning on sleeping (inflatable mattresses, cots, pads?) - that really determines how big of a tent you need. The big house could be more than enough space for your family, or it could be cramped.. it just depends on how you intend to set up and how many of you there are

The floor space isn't the only thing to consider with a tent - a dome shape tent like the sunrise loses space along the edges because of the angle of the walls, while the big house may seem roomier despite it's slightly smaller footprint since it's modified dome shape allows for more vertical walls, which ultimately means more usable living space. Some Cabela's and REI stores have multiple tents set up that you can go inside to get a feel for them - it might surprise you how different tents can seem inside from what their dimensions would suggest.

Comment

Family of 4 (me, wife, 7 year old, 5 year old). No cots, just sleeping bag pads underneath.

I tried the REI Kingdom 6. I'm not a big fan of the worm/barn design of it.

Comment

Jopopsy welcome to the forum... I have the Kodiak 10 x 14 with just the front and back doors and window and i camp with my girl friend and have lots of room for gear and more.. I can tell you if you get the 10 x 10 it will be to cramped for your whole family, Do yourself a favor and get the 10 x 14 if you decide to get a Kodiak. Its a awesome tent that stays dry and hold up to high winds like you wouldn't believe. In the picture i still have a foot of space between the side of the mattress and the tent wall..
        Attached Files
        Last edited by swebob; 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM.
        Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

Originally posted by swebob View Post
          Jopopsy welcome to the forum... I have the Kodiak 10 x 14 with just the front and back doors and window and i camp with my girl friend and have lots of room for gear and more.. I can tell you if you get the 10 x 10 it will be to cramped for your whole family, Do yourself a favor and get the 10 x 14 if you decide to get a Kodiak. Its a awesome tent that stays dry and hold up to high winds like you wouldn't believe. In the picture i still have a foot of space between the side of the mattress and the tent wall..
          This reply will come late as I'm still being moderated because I am new. The tent looks great !!! 600 bucks though is awfully hard to swallow when I still have a couple hundred for sleeping bags, the same for sleeping pads, etc. We'll see how it goes, but I'm leaning heavily towards the new VX Kodiaks. I've got a Ridgeline, so throwing the tent in the back is no big deal to me.

Comment

Jopospy, welcome to the forum. Just a reminder everyone first six posts or threads are moderated. I too have a Kodiak 10x14 for me and my wife! The best tent in the world!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I suppose I have my answer as to the tent type/brand.

I'm having a hard time swallowing the price diff between the 10x10 and 10x14. Plus I'm wondering if the larger size will give me problems in the state parks of NJ and PA. Its been so long since I've seen tenting sites; not sure if the pads will be big enough?

Comment

It would seem to me that in a 10x10 tent I would have enough room for 4 bags across one side and plenty of room at the foot of them. Am I missing something? I could use the bucks saved from the 10x14 to buy a screen enclosure or something like that. When we aren't sleeping, the bags can be stacked on one side of the tent leaving the rest of it open to occupy as we need. ????

Comment

Welcome back to camping, Jopopsy. The Great Outdoors has been waiting for you to come back - now with your family.

As you may remember from your days as a Life Scout, the first priority in wilderness survival is shelter. The same is true for recreational camping. Get the best tent you can find/afford. Next, focus on quality, comfortable sleeping gear including cots or air mattresses and sleeping bags. If you are in a money pinch, get a good tent, comfortable cots/mattresses, then you can use bedding from home until your budget allows for the convenience of sleeping bags.

The rest is just fun; stoves, lighting, and all the other camping paraphernalia are really just conveniences.
                  Last edited by Mike; 01-08-2013, 04:19 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Welcome back to camping, Jopopsy. The Great Outdoors has been waiting for you to come back - now with your family.

As you may remember from your days as a Life Scout, the first priority in wilderness survival is shelter. The same is true for recreational camping. Get the best tent you can find/afford. Next, focus on quality, comfortable sleeping gear including cots or air mattresses and sleeping bags. If you are in a money pinch, get a good tent, comfortable cots/mattresses, then you can use bedding from home until your budget allows for the convenience of sleeping bags.

The rest is just fun; stoves, lighting, and all the other camping paraphernalia are really just conveniences.
                    Exactly why I'm not considering a lesser brand tent. I was using the camping tent comparison from Outdoor Gear Lab as a good starting point. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Campin...=score#compare

That's how I found out about the Kodiak to begin with. I wasn't going to pay it much heed b/c I really wanted something with windows on all sides (I'm much MUCH more tolerant of cold than heat). With the new VX models, I can have exactly what I want.

Money being what it is though, I might end up w/ that 10x10.

Comment

Anything bigger than a 10X10 is big trouble here in the southwest where we camp - fewer campsite options and it's easier to simply bring an extra tent when more space is needed. Kodak is a high-quality tent product, just keep in mind that canvas = twice the weight for the same performance as polyester. If bulk and weight isn't a concern, at least three posters on this forum own Kodak-type canvas tents and will attest to their quality. Brands like Marmot, Sierra Designs, Big Agnes, and Mountain HardWear offer high-end quality and if you have patience ebay and other web retailers can save you a lot of money over brick-and-mortar sellers. Nothing wrong with Coleman, Eureka, Kelty, etc., just keep in mind that the money you save comes in terms of older, less improved designs, less vertical space, lower denier fabric ratings, different pole material, fewer poles, shorter rain flys, etc. etc. We own several Sierra Designs models bought off E-bay for 60% off MSRP and have a Eureka! Tetragon for "loaner" use.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I wouldn't lump Kelty and Eureka in with Coleman....

Comment

I am a Kodiak owner and I love it. Yes the price was hard to sallow, put do some shopping around you may be able to find a cheaper price. But if you plan to buy a tent to last until your kids are grown, Kodiak is the way to go. As far as sleeping bags, I would recommend the Teton Sports Celisus (XXL version).
                          Start buying slowly, a little at time instead of swinging for the fences right away. I started with stuff my buddy bought and his family went once. $300 worth of gear for $100. That may be a way to start.
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I can get the Big Agnes Big House 6 for a pretty sweet deal. Its pulling at me right now b/c its the type of tent I'm used to and I can get the tent, ground mat, and canopy net for south of $340. Heckuva good deal.

Comment

Borrowing gear is always a great option if you have any friends/family who camp - I didn't start off owning any cooking gear at all, everything was borrowed. It was also a relatively cheap way to figure out what I liked and didn't like (cheap because all I had to buy to try it out was fuel).

Comment

Working...
                              X