Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New person with questions on tent camping equipment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New person with questions on tent camping equipment.

Hello from an old man wanting to get back into tent camping. For the past couple, , of years I have been taking weekend trips with my tear drop trailer and I just want something different. First I would like to describe the type of camping I will be doing. I am a roadracing fan and I love both motorcycle and car roadracing so I will be mostly camping at my favorite track, Summit Point West Virginia from Late March to Mid November. These will be either two or three day events with public restrooms on site. I currently have a 4x6 trailer that I am setting up to carry my gear. My current plans are for a home size grill, coleman 2 burner stove, table, chairs and the assortment of coolers and lanterns.

Now for my questions, I plan to get at least a 7x7 tent that I can use a queen size air matress, I have the matress so I am looking for a tent. I am looking at both Coleman and Kelty and was wondering if somebody could chime in with opinions of these two or any other. Next would be any opinions on sleeping bags and a heater that can be used in a tent.

Thanking you in advance for any thoughts or suggestions and tell Aunt Bee that Goober says hey.

Re: New person with questions on tent camping equipment.

Welcome, welcome Mayberryman! Honestly, I saw a performance of a gentleman who called himself the Mayberryman with a bluegrass group not to long ago! Anyone with that handle is a welcomed site in these humble forums!

For a tent heater I would strongly recommend that you check out the big buddy heaters at www.mrheater.com . That's what I use and they run on cheap propane. Just be sure to open a window to allow ventilation if your using a canvas tent. Ya won't be disappointed in the least!

As far as sleeping bags & tents go there are plenty good folks here that'll chime in if you give them a chance.

Personally I use canvas to sleep in, Kodiak Canvas 10-x14 Cabin Wall Tent by name. Tis a bit expensive but canvas keeps the warmth in so much better. And hearin bluegrass with a fiddle, and banger just can't be beat. Aunt Bee says hey!

Just before I turn out the lights and hit the hay, ole Big Buddy(a dual burner) I'll turn off. Sleep like a rock! Then in morning's chill I'll fire it up and will be good to go. Just keep a window open some when it's fired up. Hopes ya stick round some and hear what other's say, take what you want and throw other stuff away. Remember, each campout is just a practice run for the next one!

A reminder: Your first 6 posts are moderated, then after that you'll get your own profile page in the community and you'll be able to send private messages and the like by tweaking your settings. After 6 posts are moderated then you're pretty much golden in this here forum. It's set up this way to keep the spammers out. To me spammers are devil spawn! Some get their moderation period over in a couple of hours, other it may takes days or weeks, just depends on how active one wants to be on campingforums.com .! Just pleased that you decided to pull up a rock and sit a spell with us! Salute!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-12-2012, 12:49 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: New person with questions on tent camping equipment.

Just welcoming you aboard. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Coleman or Kelty Tents. But I've spent some time reading through the threads and there is plenty of tent and heater info already in here. Good luck!

Hogsnapper, I only recently discovered roof top tents. Why would you recommend them? Looking to weigh pros/cons.

Comment

Working...
      X