How to get rid of mosquitos in tent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get rid of mosquitos in tent?

Wearing all the clothes and deet does not help with the annoying buzzing of the mosquitos in the tent when you are trying to go to sleep. I currently use a fly swatter, but my tent is huge and they are hard to see.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the mosquitos in the tent?

I have heard the thermacell stuff may work...
    -Johnny

Re: How to get rid of mosquitos in tent?

I keep the doors closed as much as possible. Get the tent set up and stuff inside, close the door, don't open again till time to turn in. Not much problems with them that way.
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Comment

Texan, you must not have kids. Try keeping them from opening the door a hundred times, and then leaving it open. Or their friends. ����

Comment

I've got kids, they are late teens now. Ours did the same thing at the house till they hit their teens. They were in and out the door all day long.

Have not tried the ThermaCell, so I am of no help there... sorry. I had thought about trying it once, but here in West Texas our wind is generally at 20 mph on a calm day and I never figured it would work right in that kind of environment.
        Last edited by West Texan; 12-03-2012, 08:31 PM.
        "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Comment

The Thermacells work if there is no wind. I'm not sure how well they work when the skeeters are already in the tent, but you may be able to turn it on for a while with the door open.

Comment

just out of curiosity... how do you get sulfer in your bloodstream? I'm picturing skunks and rotten eggs.... I know thats not right though....

Comment

Hogsnapper, the yard guard just before bed time is an interesting idea, not healthy, but interesting.

As far as the thermacell, I figured one would turn it on a few hours before bed time, open and close the tent door as usual, and they would all exit. At least that is the plan. I just wondered if anyone else has done this.

-Johnny

Comment

Set up tent and immediately light a PIC mosquito coil. Place coil in a terra cotta mosquito coil burner (in the tent) for safety. In Florida we didn't go to the drive-in theatre without a supply of PIC coils... old school, low tech, works.

PIC Mosquito Coils
                Phil
                Group: Canvas
                Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
                Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

There is a hangable metal coil holder, but I would worry about that in a tent. I will bet the coil thing is the same as the therma cell, just a different delivery system. Thanks for the info Phil, I have never seen them in action.

"Mosquito coils: When you light these, they start spreading poisonous fumes containing pyrethrins and other compounds that kill the mosquitoes. They’re very effective, but not very healthy, and they don’t smell too good either. If you need them, buy “serious” brands to make sure they’re at least tested for minimal health impact."
                  got this off a website. But another said the active ingredient is the same. ???

-J
                  Last edited by Johnny Test; 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

i prefer natural repellant
                    this is a list of some
                    Citronella Oil
                    Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
                    Cinnamon Oil
                    Castor Oil
                    Rosemary Oil
                    Lemongrass Oil
                    Cedar Oil
                    Peppermint Oil
                    Clove Oil
                    Geranium Oil

wife makes her own repellant with a mix of some of these oils, not sure which ones she uses

Comment

well you cant really spray these things on the tent, and if you want cintronella you need a flame.

Remember I want to get rid of the buzzing when we try to sleep.
                      Last edited by Johnny Test; 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

MSDS for PIC mosquito coils. (Material Safety Data Sheet, active ingrediants and health hazards)

I spray the bottom of my hammocks with 3% permethrin (soak and let air dry) to keep mosquitoes from biting through the hammock. This is the same stuff the military uses to mosquito proof clothing.
                        Phil
                        Group: Canvas
                        Kodiak 6010 Flex-Bow canvas
                        Springbar Outfitter 3 canvas

Comment

so the coils are a pyrethroid, d-allethrin, which is the same as in thermacell!!!

The thermacell has a higher concentration though.

-J

Comment

I have used permethin on clothes as well, and I have heard of people using it on tent screen doors.

I have ordered the thermacell and I will try it on the campout next month. I am convinced if hunters use it in open blinds, and say it works, then that is pretty good evidence it is more than just BS.

-Johnny

Comment

Working...
                            X