time for a new screenhouse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time for a new screenhouse!

Hello, I've been shopping for a screen house, but having a tough time finding exactly what I want. I'd prefer something that's at least 13x9, folds relatively compact and isn't too difficult to put up solo. Nice to haves include: shades for the windows to help shed rain and add privacy when away from camp, low weight (15 pounds or less) to that I could comfortably pack it with other gear in the roof box and metal poles.

Our old screen house was an Ozark Trail 9x13 that I picked up at Walmart for $40. I expected it to last a season, but to my surprise I got about 8 years out of it. Definitely a bargain! Sadly, they no longer make that model. They do however make a similar screen house (though I see it now has an external frame versus the internal of our old one) and the price has risen to around $50.

Some that I've been considering:
    Ozark Trail external frame 9x13: It's similar to our old one, save for the external frame. Poles appear much lighter duty than our old one even though it costs more! Not sure about durability of the screen material, as the old one was prone to developing holes (easily patched though).

Eureka Northern Breeze: I love the looks of this one, but it's heavy and I can't justify $450 for something that will only be used 2 or 3 times a year (we only put up the screen house if we're staying in a spot for a week or more).

Eureka Breezeway: Almost as good as the one above, but also a bit expensive I feel for what you're getting.

Eureka Screenhouse: Size is just a touch larger than our old one, price is good but it is 4x the price of our old one for about the same space. I've read of some people having problems with the plastic hub at the top where the poles attach. It packs quite compact, so that's a big plus. This is also a strong contender with the next one.

Wenzel Zephyr: I also really like the looks of this one, the design lends itself to easily draping tarps for privacy and weather protection. Drawbacks are it's also a bit expensive for the size (13x9) and it has a floor...a concept that feels alien to me for a screen house! It also packs a bit large.

Wenzel Biscayne: I'm leaning towards this one. The price is right and it has plenty of space. Drawbacks are that it looks to pack a bit larger than our old one and is about twice as heavy.

Kelty Veil House: A bit small at 10x10, but does have covers for the windows. Price it a tad high for the size, packs reasonably small.

Kelty Medium and Large screen houses: Initially I really liked these, but there are reports that the roof design causes water to pool. They also appear to offer limited visibility as they are basically just their tents minus a floor. They do offer closable windows and pockets which is a nice touch.

Coleman Instant Screen Shelter 10x10: Price is right, it goes up fast. Drawbacks are that it's bulky and a bit smaller in square footage than our old one (which could be tight if we moved a picnic table into it).

So...that's quite a list to choose from! What do you have (or would choose)? We have a canopy, but that's out. They're way too bulky and heavy (space is tight in our compact wagon and we have a two week trip coming up in January!). We use our screen house primarily as a place to cook and eat meals and as a place to escape from passing showers.

Craig
    Last edited by caheaton; 11-17-2012, 03:51 PM.
    Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Re: time for a new screenhouse!

In case anyone's interested, here are a couple photos showing the old screenhouse (on the trip when it died in fact during a strong thunderstorm...one of the corners ripped out where the guy lines attach). Photos were taken this past June in Cherry Springs State Park, PA on a star gazing trip.
    Attached Files

Comment

You might look at this one, it is nice. If you add the floor and rainfly when needed it is really nice.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58395...oductId=988411

You might want to check around some of the forums and reviews for input on this one. I bought it based on the reviews I read and it has been a good purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by caheaton View Post
        In case anyone's interested, here are a couple photos showing the old screenhouse (on the trip when it died in fact during a strong thunderstorm...one of the corners ripped out where the guy lines attach). Photos were taken this past June in Cherry Springs State Park, PA on a star gazing trip.
        Thanks for the pics. That green tent seems to have a traditional design, but looks really big - big enough to stand up straight?

Where are you camping? Looks like a golf course or field or something. Are you at a weekend rock concert?

I bought this screen tent from walmart ealier this year and really like it. It is HUGE and easily swallows up a picnic table with room for more chairs and other gear. $80.00. I got caught in a toranado and blew about a mile away. When I managed to retrieve it out of a river, there was one tear on it, but it was still completely erected - poles and all. There were some abrasions, but the tent survived and is still being used. So, it surely passed the durability test.
        Last edited by Mike; 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone, please keep them coming. The LLBean house looks very similar to one offered by REI. I liked it, but felt it was a bit too expensive for using only a couple times a year or so. I also like the Coleman canopy, but it may be too heavy. We usually take my wife's Vibe when we go camping (better gas mileage) and her roof rack has a 75 lb limit (I know it can take more, but I still try to keep it at 100 lbs or less). That's why I'm trying to keep weight down on the screen house (I'll already have an inflatable kayak up there plus our tent...that's about 40 pounds just with those two).

The Walmart one looks interesting...for some reason I missed that one while I was shopping. It seems to have pretty good visibility all around (good since we're camping waterfront :-) ).

As to the photos, they were taken at the Cherry Springs Star Party in Cherry Springs State Park, PA. It's an annual gathering of amateur astronomers. The field is "Observatory Field"...dedicated to those who are staying overnight in the park to star gaze (there's also a standard camping area across the road with firepits and more privacy...fires aren't permitted on the observing field). The park is dedicated to dark skies and offers some of the darkest skies to be found east of the Misissippi due to the area's remoteness (park is surrounded by the Susquehannock State Forest).

The tent is a Coleman Sundome 6, there's room to stand up in if you're not too tall (it's 6' tall in the center). It's been a good tent, having weathered some strong thunderstorms while letting in perhaps a thimble's full of water during torrential downpours that lasted the night. Floor measures 10 x 10...which offers plenty of space for just my wife and myself :-) .

Craig

Comment

So true...another good reason to keep the weight down.

Comment

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your website is very cool. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this web site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for more articles. You, my pal, ROCK! I found simply the information I already searched everywhere and simply couldn't come across. What an ideal website. Wonderful!

Comment

Working...
              X