Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to start camping, need help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to start camping, need help please!

I've been camping before, but it was either as a kid (with parents buying supplies) or with someone else letting me borrow their stuff. I want to buy my own things now and would like to keep it in budget as well as make sure I have what I need. I'm flexible in either need, but I don't want to spend $300 for 1 stupid tent. I know I can look on REI.com, Gandermountain.com, dickssportinggoods.com for some supplies, but I'm more looking for advice from someone who's done this on a regular basis.

Secondly, I'd like to find out how to search for good places to go camping. I don't want a spot where you can see 20+ other sites just by stepping outside your tent. I like the seclusion and independence of everything. I live in Florida (where there's only flatland) and prefer mountain areas, but would be willing to try something around here if it is actually a great spot. I'll be having 3-5 others with me as well. Some will be getting their own supplies, but I can relay what they should get.

I hope I'm not rambling or confusing what I want, but I'm just not sure where to really start. I keep talking to my friends that I want to do this, but never get on it. I want to start really making preparations to do this in February or March '09. Thank you for any help you can give me. :cool:

Want to start camping

Howdy themarshall18,

Welcome to the boards! I will address your first question. The second question will have to be answered by someone else, I'm more than a stones throw from FL.

Once you have looked around those places that you have mentioned, check out http://www.amazon.com or http://www.craig'slist.com and these places can probably give you more reasonable prices for their gear. Walmart online has free shipping site to store and that always saves a bundle, that is where my dollars go. Walmart is alright! I started with a Wenzel tent. Camping is a very personal thing, what works for one person may not work for another. Are you planning on car or bike or motorcross or backpacking camping? That's a start.

Concerning where to go, I just want to say that for your first experience now, don't go too far away. Practice with what you buy before you go out. If you look around this site there are many helpful posts that could be used by you. The effort you put into planning and practicing with new equipment will pay off well once you have found the place to go! I'm sure others will chime in too with advice and helpful hints! Once again welcome to the boards!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Hi Themarshell18, What kind of camping are you going to do car, backpacking, ect. What time of the year are you going to camp. I camp all through out the year . most of my budget camping gear is army surplus this is some of what I have . swiss stove with mess kit uses denatured alcohol.I bought 10 for 20$ kept 2 sold the rest for 5$ each. Got my sleeping bag at a yard sale extreme cold weather bag 10$ like new. Had a half shelter tent for years until I got a cot tent. This is a great tent & keeps you off the ground. first aid kit I made myself . Got my backpack from a army surplus store in fl. I lived their for 20 years. lot of good surplus stores there. What part of fl do you live in. Hope this helps welcome to the site lots of good people & info here.

Comment

This is a picture of the tent I have

Comment

Howdy, TM18! I am a Floridian too - up in Tallahassee. I often just slip into the Apalachicola National Forest up here - though with hunting season going right now, I exercise caution! Don't wanna end up with my noggin over Bubba's fireplace.
          Here in town, we have a new Sportsman's Warehouse - great store! Much better prices than upscale places like REI, better quality than WalMart. Though WalMart stuff is okay, for us campers on a budget.
          I have done fine with cheaper tents, and often do road trips by motorcycle, and camp overnight on the road. So, I tend to favor a more 'minimalist' approach than for car camping. My bike is a Dual Sport (glorified dirt bike) so it gets me into the woods too.
          Temps up here can get chilly - twenties for a week or so in the dead of winter - so I still need a good sleeping bag.
          Most all the National Forests allow camping, but during severe drought, fires will be prohibited. Also, camping may be restricted during hunting season. I like seclusion and 'alone time' too. Hate crowds. :D
          During the off season, and especially during weekdays, the State Campgrounds tend to a lot quieter - not so many touristas. They generally have 'quiet hours' too - the hosts/rangers should enforce it.
          Anywhere around "Mouseland" though - faggittaboutit! Bad area to camp, if you like privacy and quiet!
          Somewhere in these subforums, one of the guys posted a website for State Campgrounds - check it out for your AO. You should be able to find a good one.
          Best wishes fro your new interest in camping! :cool:
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Welcome! You got some good answers already, but feel free to follow-up if you need additional info.

Comment

I will introduce to you one place

One of the best ways to experience the scenery of Scotland is to go camping. There are numerous campsites across the country, some of which are open all year round. Camping experiences can range from a night in a bivvy bag in the mountains to a budget family break, complete with kitchen sink.
              In choosing where to camp you might like to consider location, facilities, food, whether animals are permitted, barbeque facilities or access to a local outdoors activity.

Comment

Working...
              X