Tenting in wind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenting in wind

Im going to be camping in the Florida keys tomorrow night and have a 10 X 7 dome tent and the winds should be 15 to 20 out of the NE and 15 on monday night from a light cold front. Should i have a problem with the wind. The camp grounds have some trees but are on the beach ( Long Key State park )
    Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Re: Tenting in wind

Being right on the water can present some really strong wind conditions, obviously. There is a big difference between camping near the shores of the ocean or the Great Lakes and camping inland.

You should be OK if you have a good tent. Be sure to stake out any guy lines that the tent provides In addition to staking out the floor, good tents have grommets for guy lines either on the top of the tent, the sides of the tent (near the support poles), or both. Tents without guy lines would probably be weak to strong winds.

It CAN get scary if you don't know your tent well. The wind can really make a tent tremble. I have been in very strong winds in my Eureka Timberline, but with the guy lines all staked down, it has always held up even in near tornado conditions. In fact, I have survived wind/rain storms in my Eureka Timberline when the canopy tent next to mine was literally ripped from its floor stakes and sent sailing 50 feet into the air and blew a mile away. I didn't even get a drop of rain inside the tent. Better yet, because I had experience and confidence in my tent, I slept through most of it.

Last edited by Mike; 10-20-2012, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Its a sears Hillary tent and it has six rings on the floor to stake down, The only lines is on the rain fly to hold that down. Im gonna give it a shot since its not to long of a drive from my house..

Comment

Yah, that sounds like a good plan. If you have a car to escape into, then you will be OK. Put your tent to the test. Be sure to stake down the rainfly good.

Is this photo the same as your tent? Sears has MANY different models they called the Hillary - dating back to 1969 until today. If yes, look at the area about mid-way along the sleeves that the pole goes into. I see a black band. That MIGHT have a grommet for you to string a guy line. Check that out. I have a dome tent similar to this and it has grommets for guy lines.

Anyway, go for it. You don't really have anything to lose as long as you can dive into the car. HOWEVER, if the winds get that strong, your tent can get shredded and the poles can break. IF you have the time and wherewithal during the storm, take your tent down or at least take the poles down and zip up the doors. Maybe throw some wood on top to hold it down. Then, after the storm is past, your tent might still be useable.

Comment

As you can see by the previous posts, Mike is my loving son...the truth is out, hehe!:cool:
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Yah, that sounds like a good plan. If you have a car to escape into, then you will be OK. Put your tent to the test. Be sure to stake down the rainfly good.

Is this photo the same as your tent? Sears has MANY different models they called the Hillary - dating back to 1969 until today. If yes, look at the area about mid-way along the sleeves that the pole goes into. I see a black band. That MIGHT have a grommet for you to string a guy line. Check that out. I have a dome tent similar to this and it has grommets for guy lines.

Anyway, go for it. You don't really have anything to lose as long as you can dive into the car. HOWEVER, if the winds get that strong, your tent can get shredded and the poles can break. IF you have the time and wherewithal during the storm, take your tent down or at least take the poles down and zip up the doors. Maybe throw some wood on top to hold it down. Then, after the storm is past, your tent might still be useable.

This is my tent without the rainfly..
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by swebob View Post
              This is my tent without the rainfly..
              Swebob, that looks like a fine tent and it should serve you well.

Give it a try under some challenging, windy conditions where you have a plan B (the car) and see how she goes. Worst case, you get wet and have a GREAT campfire story to tell on future camping trips.

Happy camping. I hope you have a great time. Write and tell us how the trip was.

Comment

I decided to make camping plans another weekend and go fishing in Sebastian. NOAA forecast HAZARDOUS WEATHER CONDITIONS for Long Key tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.. I will let you all know when i do go..

Comment

Working...
                X