Tent camping in the Florida keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping in the Florida keys

If anyone here has camped in the Florida Keys can tell me when is a good time of year for it. I was told by one person that October to May was the dry season and a good time to avoid bugs. Also advice on any camp grounds
    Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Re: Tent camping in the Florida keys

I stayed at Boyd's in Key West January 1990. (I stayed in a big RV when I helped a boss take his Dad and Mom) I remember the weather to be great, the island very accessible form the campground location. I seem to remember it as more of a RV park then the kind of campground I prefer, but the web site shows some good tent sites on the water. The hosts were great and the place was clean then. Our site had a great bay view that was stunning in the morning. I did not spend much time at the campground as I was visiting the Island all day and returning to sleep before another day.
    I've been to the Keys in January, and twice in November and the weather was great. One time in July and I did not fare as well for I do not like the heat. Seems like there is a state park on one of the upper keys, but I have not been there.
    I hope this helps a little.

Comment

i just checked this out on Trip Advisor and it looks good but the Boca Chica airport across the bay can be a problem with noise. I saw more good reviews then bad. Thank you for the suggestion

UPDATE..
      Just found out the tent sites are so small you can just get a tent on them and all you hear all day is planes fron the airport and the smell of jet fuel. I could tell you other things but dont want to flame the the park any more then i have now. Not tent friendly
      Last edited by swebob; 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM. Reason: update

Comment

I've tent camped in Fiesta Key (AKA Greyhound Key, now a KOA) back in the day - we went each year in February for a few years. The folks stayed in the TT, and I had my 2-man tent with a Gulf view and my portable casette player and tapes! We stayed in the MH a couple of years ago, but a the big RV park much closer to Key West. Not a place where you tent camp in the summer, gotta have 50A service and two big ACs cranking!!!
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I guess much has changed on Key West in some 20+ years since I've been there. I do not remember any real jet noise. I imagine if there is that much jet traffic on Key West you would hear it anywhere for the place is not that big. I used a rented scooter to get around the whole time.
          Last edited by CMPR1966; 10-17-2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
            Hurricane season officially runs June to December and tent campers are the first to get evacuated if a storm approaches. This can ruin an expensive trip real quick. Of the hurricane season months, July, August and September are the most active. The months I listed are a good match to the dates you posted - October through May are good dates to consider.

It can also be quite hot in the Keys in the summer and the bugs are definitely more prevalent in summer too. On the flipside of all that though is that the height of the tourist season down there is when it's cold up north - December-January-February - the hotels charge beaucoup money and the airlines jack up prices December through February. If I had to pick the best time to go to the Keys it would be in April or May but if you're from Canada and standing in 20 feet of snow, hey, I'm sure you'd think January was the best time.

As far as advice on campgrounds, Bahia Honda is at the top of the list but also extremely hard to get reservations. Read this thread from last May... http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ach-in-Florida

After Bahia Honda - I think it matters what you're after besides camping. If you're into nightlife and restaurants and museums and history then the lower keys and Key West are for you. If you are into diving then the Upper Keys, Key Largo and Tavernier are the ticket. If you want a blend of diving plus some wildlife plus some nightlife plus some awesome fishing then the middle keys, Big Pine, and Marathon are the place to be. Bahia Honda is in the middle keys.
            I am a few hours from the upper keys and live in Fort Lauderdale florida. I have never camped in the keys but have in central and southwest Florida. I was just looking for a few days to get a way this month and do some bridge fishing during the day. I think for a trial run im going to camp at Long key park 2 nights since upper keys have good bridge fishing. Then later in December i will hit Bahia Honda. I thank you all for the info..

ANOTHER QUESTION???

What kind of stakes should i use for my tent since i heard the ground in the keys are different in some places.. Bahia Hondas site says "Sites may require metal tent stakes (not aluminum or plastic)." Any suggestions are welcome
            Last edited by swebob; 10-17-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Keep in mind that Bahia Honda is a FSP, so that means no alcoholic beverages are permitted. Head south to the Fiesta Key KOA or even further just above Key West for the RV park as mentioned above. Besides, the action is way south of Islamorada anyway...don't ask me why I know!:cool:
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

My wife and I camped in St. Joseph Peninsula SP this past Feb. We sometimes had wine with dinner (with the wine bottle sitting on the picnic table inside our screen house. The ranger never said a word, even though he made his rounds everynight about that time.

Craig
                Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

Usually, anywhere in state, national or city parks, if one displays responsibility towards alcohol consumption there is never a problem! It only becomes a problem when the consumee believes he/she is smarter than the alcohol! Wine bottle display isn't the same as a stack of beer cans. Even an empty liquor bottle is passed over, but that is a crime unto it's self!
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

The best way to conceal a beer... :p
                    Attached Files

Comment

I can't say I've actually ever drank a beer through a straw before. I prefer to use the mcdonalds cup to actually hold coke (or in my case diet coke) and rum. But the ice around the can is pretty nifty, but it might be a pain every time you need a new can.

Anywho, the state campgrounds' rules state: Beer in containers larger than one (1) liter is prohibited. State law limits the possession of alcoholic beverages to individuals 21 years or older. So it's basically no 40's or kegs, but it doesn't prohibit boxes of wine, handles of rum, or jars of moonshine. I think the biggest issue is the failure to follow quiet hour guidelines due to the drinking

Comment

Originally posted by fantomas View Post
                        I can't say I've actually ever drank a beer through a straw before. I prefer to use the mcdonalds cup to actually hold coke (or in my case diet coke) and rum. But the ice around the can is pretty nifty, but it might be a pain every time you need a new can.

Anywho, the state campgrounds' rules state: Beer in containers larger than one (1) liter is prohibited. State law limits the possession of alcoholic beverages to individuals 21 years or older. So it's basically no 40's or kegs, but it doesn't prohibit boxes of wine, handles of rum, or jars of moonshine. I think the biggest issue is the failure to follow quiet hour guidelines due to the drinking
                        Actually i have never drank a beer from a McDonalds cup and i just posted it as a joke, i prefer my beer in a coozy.

I totally agree with the Quiet hour and its a shame that some come to campsites which i dont call campers but disrespectful people that have only one intention and that is to have late night loud drunken parties. I have lost sleep more then once cause of people like this that dont follow the rules.
                        Last edited by swebob; 10-22-2012, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Swebob,

We make a stake that my interest you. It's a 12 inch long steel stake that is made from alloy steel and then heat treated (hardened) to make it almost indestructible. These are the same type of stakes that we make for the U.S. Army. They were originally designed for frozen soil conditions. They don't bend.

You can see them here... http://monkindustries.com/index.php?cPath=33

They weigh 1.2 lbs. each which is too heavy for backpacking, but should not be an issue if you are driving to the campsite. They last forever.

Renodesertfox recently tried some out on a camping trip....maybe he will chime in about them.

Kermit
                          www.monkindustries.com

Comment

Hogsnapper states it well, but as an occasional visitor since '71 I've been corralled to dump my (12 oz.) brews more than once...not to disagree with his perspecitve, but just to share my personal experience at Bahia Honda SP (one of our all-time favorites!) from sacrificing some beers into the sand. They've always reminded me of the "no alcoholic beverages" sign about 50' before the entrance, and as out-of-staters never gave us a ticket, only a warning. I like the attitude...

Comment

Working...
                            X