Back to tent camping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to tent camping!

I started camping with a tent and then had small campers. Am looking forward to tent camping again as it was a lot for me to pull and maintain since I solo camp. I live on the NC shore but love to flyfish in the mountains. After much searching have ordered a Springbar Campsite 3 Canvas tent out of Ut. It will be here mid August. Anyone on this site use canvas tents?

Re: Back to tent camping!

I do on a regular basis and here's a link from not to far back to support your choice of camping under canvas:
    http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...nt-Oh-yeh-baby

You will fit in fine here!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 07-25-2012, 09:58 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks...Had everything that I needed stored except for a cooler. Purchased one at Costco, 54 QT. stainless for half price.
      It will have to stay in the car. LOL! My heater is a Coleman Black Cat and I have a Port a Pottie. Was shocked at all that I had. Am counting the days until the tent gets here. Might have to eat a few beans for doing this. It has been 100 degrees here and higher heat index.

Comment

Still waiting for my tent to arrive. It should be here around the 17th of August. Looks like I have most of what I need. I quess an overnight stay close to home will tell me that. LOL.
        Coopersnest on the NC coast

Comment

Originally posted by Coopersnest View Post
          I started camping with a tent and then had small campers. Am looking forward to tent camping again as it was a lot for me to pull and maintain since I solo camp. I live on the NC shore but love to flyfish in the mountains. After much searching have ordered a Springbar Campsite 3 Canvas tent out of Ut. It will be here mid August. Anyone on this site use canvas tents?
          I am in the same boat. I camped with a tent for several years, alone and with family then raising two girls and making a living I got away from camping.
          Fast forward 25 years, I tried the popups and then travel trailers, wife didn't take to it so most of my camping was single and great. You are right it is a lot of work doing maintenance on the trailer just for one.
          I order a Sumberjack trail 4 and saved most of the things from my trailer days and now am looking forward to getting back to tent camping just waiting on cool weather here in Texas. I really like to hike and fish and this is what I am getting back to.
          I have planned two trips for September and two for October, the first two are shake down trips to make sure I have what I need and to weed out what I don't,
          Good luck and have fun on the trips.

Comment

I wonder if it's something in the air, a lot of mature (older) people are starting to camp again after a couple of decades or so. We are tent camping next week for the first tine in 43 years! However we are doing it a lot more comfortable than sleeping on a air matress next to the ground.

Hope your camping turns out a lot of fun!

Comment

Well we went tent camping for the first time in several decades last week. There is a lot to learn from our first time. Next time we will ask are there many tents in campground # such and such. We made our reservations a week a head of time, and we did ask hows the fishing...? well we got there pitched our tent about 6:30 pm, it took us 3 hours to read insturctions as we went, even though we read then at home. We wanted our tent to look sharp! In the morning we got a good look and there were some interesting sights. there were about 60 sites. and our site was on the cornor, where we got to see everone come in and out. We were the ONLY TENT!!! Then on top of it all the trout farm for the State was being rebuilt. no fish in three days. We liked the relaxing time we stayed a day longer. We made the extended time just in time to catch a rain storn that lasted from 7:00pm to several hours after we left.

Now we have learned how to take town and pack while it's raining, and how to dry out wet camping gear! So our trip was a great learning experience, and inspite of everything we are ready to go again. But this time we know what to ask, like where do the tent campers camp. All in all we enjoyed ourselves. We learned what else we need, like a table for inside the tent, a lugage storaggge pack for on the top of our Chrysler Pacifica, a heavier extention cord(we had a 16 gage wire extention cord) we bought a 14 gage 50 foot. and we needed two more cotts for grandsons this time. And two more folding chairs, and a screen in canopy to eat in to keep the bugs away while eating.

We hope to learn and enjoy from our next trip soon. I can say for sure unless you are ablle to laugh at youself and at each other, especially if you happen to be in your sixties, then go to a motel. ha ha ha ha ha.

Comment

Well we went tent camping for the first time in several decades last week. There is a lot to learn from our first time. Next time we will ask are there many tents in campground # such and such. We made our reservations a week a head of time, and we did ask hows the fishing...? well we got there pitched our tent about 6:30 pm, it took us 3 hours to read insturctions as we went, even though we read then at home. We wanted our tent to look sharp! In the morning we got a good look and there were some interesting sights. there were about 60 sites. and our site was on the cornor, where we got to see everone come in and out. We were the ONLY TENT!!! Then on top of it all the trout farm for the State was being rebuilt. no fish in three days. We liked the relaxing time we stayed a day longer. We made the extended time just in time to catch a rain storn that lasted from 7:00pm to several hours after we left.

Now we have learned how to take town and pack while it's raining, and how to dry out wet camping gear! So our trip was a great learning experience, and inspite of everything we are ready to go again. But this time we know what to ask, like where do the tent campers camp. All in all we enjoyed ourselves. We learned what else we need, like a table for inside the tent, a lugage storaggge pack for on the top of our Chrysler Pacifica, a heavier extention cord(we had a 16 gage wire extention cord) we bought a 14 gage 50 foot. and we needed two more cotts for grandsons this time. And two more folding chairs, and a screen in canopy to eat in to keep the bugs away while eating.

We hope to learn and enjoy from our next trip soon. I can say for sure unless you are ablle to laugh at youself and at each other, especially if you happen to be in your sixties, then go to a motel. ha ha ha ha ha.

Comment

While I gave up on canvas tents 30 years ago (weight issues, not quality!) I can assure you that as an occasional visitor to NC your quality canvas Springbar tent will give your miles of smiles. Just pay close attention to the care instructions as each fabric choice has its own particular needs to ensure a long life...
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks for the tips tplife. Farout, glad you and your family enjoyed your trip. I have not left home yet. Quess that I will make the fall leaves. LOL. Will wait for the arrival of the second Easy Cot. Do need to get a couple of closed cell pads because it will be colder. Have everything else I hope. Can't wait. Whoopee! A greatgrandmother tent camping!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Older than you Farout!

Comment

Canvas tents are tough but they are flammable, which can create a potential danger, especially near campfires. So while using them take special care and use fire-retardant sprays to avoid any accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller112 View Post
                        Canvas tents are tough but they are flammable, which can create a potential danger, especially near campfires. So while using them take special care and use fire-retardant sprays to avoid any accident.
                        Any tent will burn. the biggest difference is the nylon also melt and then you will end up with burning, melting nylon on your face. A canvas tent is no worse of a fire danger than any other tent.

but while we are o the subject of tent fires, here is why you should be very careful of tent fires. Never cook inside a tent and if yuu use a heater, be damn careful.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQS8DFfU2Q
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Another good top is not to store your propane bottles inside the tent. Probably better to store them far away from an ignition source.
                          And to make sure you have fire extinguishers handy, maybe a 5 gallon bucket for camp fires and tent fires
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Getting ready to leave the first of next week for the Blue Ridge Parkway to camp and flyfish. Cannot wait! Will let you know about my adventure. Am thinking about takng my little Sheltie with me after reading the posts by the Solo campers.

Comment

Oh, I'm jealous...sounds like a great trip. I had a sheltie, and he was a great companion. I think you should take yours with you, as long as she doesn't have travel issues, or barks incessantly.

Comment

Working...
                              X