Help me pick a tunnel tent from my short-list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a tunnel tent from my short-list

Hello fellow campers and adventurers. I am new to the forum and hoping I can get some help choosing the right tent for me...

My 10yrs old dome tent from McKinley finally gave up and I am looking for a replacement. I decided to go for the tunnel tent design, because tunnel tents provide more space and they usually have larger vestibules for equipment storage and even cooking. The tent will serve 2 persons, but I am looking at 3 person tents for a little extra comfort, and the weight is not that much more then same 2P tents. I have created a shortlist of tents I like so far, and would need some advice on some. The tents on the list are nearly identical size when pitched, and nearly same when packed, but they vary a lot in weight and price. Of course both is important since I will be using this form biking and hiking trips, as well as for car camping tours. Here's my shortlist:

Hillberg Nallo 3 GT - 799€

Bergans Compact 3 - 322€

Bergans Compact Light 3 - 450€

Fjallraven ABISKO LIGHTWEIGHT 3 - 599€

Fjallraven AKKA 3 - 629€

Fjallraven AKKA ENDURANCE 3 - 649€

Vaude FERRET XT 3P - 599€

Jack Wolfskin Sanctuary 3 RT - 649€

Jack Wolfskin Time Tunell 3 RT - 379€

Here are some of my questions/concerns:

1. Of course Hilleberg is on the top of the list, because of the great reputation they have and the weight is far the best of them all @ only 2.80kg. But that price ... is it really justified?
    2. Bergans tents are, like Hilleberg, also made in Scandinavia, but I was unable to find any reviews on these tents. They look promising and they are half the price of Hilleberg. Does anyone know how do these tents perform in action?
    3. Fjallraven is another Scandinavian tent maker. The tents on the list look very good, but again the price is quite high. Still a bit cheaper then Hilleberg. Any words on these?
    4. Vaude FERRET XT 3P is another one in the same category. Price is also high, but I like some of the features of these tents. What about Vaude quality, is it any good?
    5. Jack Wolfskin, I like the design they have. They offer a little bit more space, but the Sanctuary, which is the lightweight version is expensive, near the Hilleberg line and I don't know if it is worth it?

So missing anything and what's your opinion?
Working...
X