Getting Started Car Camping -- advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started Car Camping -- advice needed

We are a seasoned car camping family from about 20 years ago looking to break back into it.

We are a 3 adult sized family.

We use a mid size car (like a chevy malibu)

Here's what we need advice on: (product brand, specifications, retailer outlet)

- 3 person tent with vestibule (for 2 adults with inflatable queen mattress)
    - 2 person tent (for 1 adult with inflatable single)
    - Inflatable Mattress
    - Large Cover/Tarp to string up over tent
    - Screen tent for picnic/sitting area
    - 2-stove propane burner

- What other "Must Have's"?

Thanks for any advice that you can provide

Re: Getting Started Car Camping -- advice needed

I have had many years of good service and comfortable sleeping (especially having a bad back) with the flocked-top air matresses from Wally's - have had two brands of "self-deflator" pads fail miserably. The Twin size fits a three-man tent well, as well as the back of my minivan. Wally's has the 12V pump that fits the filler valve too - very convenient as you let the vehicle air it up!
    My Eureka 2XT tent is a great little 2-man tent, that works well for me along - I am "Bigger than the average bear". A door on each side, and gear vestibule each side.
    My three-man tent is an old camo dome from The Sportsman's Guide - works well but does get some leakage from years of use. No idea as to brand, but it could use a longer rainfly. Will likely replace it eventually.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Seconding BigDog's recommendation for a flocked top air mattress. Bought mine from..Target's(?) and they are made by Coleman. Been happy and holeless for several seasons and knocking on wood.

As far as screen tent the specs on the Kelty line read well and you can get some good prices on them right now. I'm guessing they are about to put out a new line which would 'splain why they are less this late in the season.
      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-13-2012, 04:36 AM.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

b
        Originally posted by moxiefox View Post

- What other "Must Have's"?

Thanks for any advice that you can provide
        We have been using see-through plastic Sterilite storage bins to keep our food and gear organized. I like the long and shallow boxes as opposed to the tall bins because when the bins are too deep, things get cluttered. I consider these storage bins a must have. We label them with Sharpie pens to keep things from getting placed in the wrong bins.

The Coleman propane stove is outstanding. I have not owned one, but am jealous every time that I friends and other campers start up their Coleman propane stoves while I fiddle with my white gas stove.

I have been using inflatable air mattresses on and off for 7 years on car camping trips. While I feel an air mattress is more comfortable, some of the self inflating camping pads like the REI Campbed 3.5 will keep your warmer because they insulate you from the ground which sucks the heat from your body. We just returned from camping at Lassen Volcanic National Park in Northern California. It got down to 27 degrees F at night and we stayed warm. I was using an REI Campbed 3.5 and my wife was testing the Exped SIM Comfort. Both were comfortable. My kids used the Klymit Static V inflatable air mattresses that weight about a pound each. They stayed very comfortable.

As far as tents are concerned, you are short on real estate space like I am. We are cramped in our Subaru Outback with 2 adults and 2 kids. I use an REI Base Camp 4 tent because it's sturdy and very easy to put up without any assistance. Both Coleman and Eureka make outstanding car camping tents that you buy for $100 or less (on sale) and will keep you warm and dry.
        Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
        sigpic

Comment

Definitely avoid cots and air mattresses as they work 24/7 to be the same temperature as the outside air - which sucks your energy and comfort away and can be a safety hazard in temperatures below 50-degrees F. If your plans include heaters, summer-only camping, or electric blankets, then air mattresses or cots (or hammocks!) won't be an issue. Otherwise invest in ThermaRest, MegaMat, REI, Kelty or other self-inflating sleeping pads. REI and EMS are good places to start your equipment purchases as they won't steer you to the cheaper imported brands that big-box retailers sell. For your first year back into tent camping, however, an inexpensive tent might just be better so you don't end up investing in quality you'll never appreciate. As mentioned above, Coleman makes good stoves and lanterns.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
            Definitely avoid cots and air mattresses as they work 24/7 to be the same temperature as the outside air - which sucks your energy and comfort away and can be a safety hazard in temperatures below 50-degrees F. If your plans include heaters, summer-only camping, or electric blankets, then air mattresses or cots (or hammocks!) won't be an issue. Otherwise invest in ThermaRest, MegaMat, REI, Kelty or other self-inflating sleeping pads. REI and EMS are good places to start your equipment purchases as they won't steer you to the cheaper imported brands that big-box retailers sell. For your first year back into tent camping, however, an inexpensive tent might just be better so you don't end up investing in quality you'll never appreciate. As mentioned above, Coleman makes good stoves and lanterns.
            What have I missed for this past year?! tplife, has mellowed into a qualifying stance on air mattresses!:D:cool:

You'll need a clothing line and pins. The clothing pins are great for closing bags o food and hanging different items from inter tent loops, not just hanging the wet ones.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I don't think that this is a "must have", but a cast iron skillet, griddle, or pan sure makes cooking easy. One of my friends insists on cooking the old fashioned way. He and his wife used a large cast iron pan for making numerous tasty food over an open fire.

My wife uses a Lodge cast iron griddle for making grilled t-bone steaks and mushrooms or teriyaki chicken and grilled onions.

Steer clear of big box branded stoves. One of our friends ours had issues with his 2 burner propane stove-he was never able to cook with it over the the 4 day camping trip.
              sigpic

Comment

This is a picture of how we store our camping gear in the back our Subaru. Everything has a place. I would be lost without the plastic storage bins.

sigpic

Comment

We also had good luck with the queen flocked top air mattress from WalMart. The Sterlite containers are great for organization. As far as a tarp goes, we use a Chinook 14X12 available on Amazon. The thing is huge but packs small and is very versatile. We only carry a single burner propane burner as most cooking is done over the fire. One "must have" for most campgrounds with gravel tent pads is STEEL tent stakes. Tents are pretty much a personal choice. We have had good service from Kelty and Eureka. Currently using Kelty Yellowstone 6 for 2 adults. We are getting older and like to stand up in the tent ! Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
                    I don't think that this is a "must have", but a cast iron skillet, griddle, or pan sure makes cooking easy. One of my friends insists on cooking the old fashioned way. He and his wife used a large cast iron pan for making numerous tasty food over an open fire.

My wife uses a Lodge cast iron griddle for making grilled t-bone steaks and mushrooms or teriyaki chicken and grilled onions.

Steer clear of big box branded stoves. One of our friends ours had issues with his 2 burner propane stove-he was never able to cook with it over the the 4 day camping trip.

Another fantastic hot plate that i use, I found in the local hardware store, is a cast aluminium plate produced by Weber for their kettle bbq's. The light weightiness of it makes it perfect for easy stowage and is still big enough to cook for a family.

Comment

Working...
                    X