Winter tent camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter tent camping

Does anyone tent camp in the winter time ? My son in from Iraq and wants to go with me on a 3 day camp/hunt trip. The temp. will be low 18 high 35 . man this is going to be fun .Haven’t seen him much in the past 5 years. We leave in the morning :D Talk to you all soon .

I did it once in Yosemite National Park. While it was of course freezing at night, it was amazing being one of a very few amount of people in the park. If you've been there in the summer, you know how crowded it gets there. It was great seeing it without all the people.

Comment

Yep - a good inflatable sleep pad to insulate from the cold ground, and a good sleeping bag - and "Bob's yer uncle!"
      Even here in sunny north Florida, it can get down into the twenties - maybe the teens for a few nights. I find the chemical hand warmer pouches from WallyMart come in handy too!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Have fun! Not sure there's much I can help you with at this point - change your socks early and often, air-out your sleeping bags during the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Smores View Post
          I did it once in Yosemite National Park. While it was of course freezing at night, it was amazing being one of a very few amount of people in the park. If you've been there in the summer, you know how crowded it gets there. It was great seeing it without all the people.

I second Yosemite National Park

Comment

Winter Tent Camping

Howdy Demonslaer,

So how did it go! I salute your son! I served at the tail-end of Vietnam! Anyone in the armed services, you're doing this country a service and no one will forget that! Keep America Proud!!
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

It was great :D Had the best time it was good to have him home. A lot of scary stories & close calls but he's home now. Got 2 deer & 15 Squirrels. I would post some pics but his camera froze :eek:

Comment

Wild Camping

There's a bit of a stink going down in the Scottish countryside: the Outdoor Access Code established the right to wild camp in law, but communities around Loch Rannoch and Loch Lomond are thoroughly fed up with the mess left behind by anti-social campers.

Camping wild is one of the best ways to enjoy Scotland's fabulous scenery but some of Scotland's most beautiful areas are being spoiled by irresponsible camping. Every weekend hordes of people are heading for the hills and glens and setting up camp alongside lochs and rivers. But campers are leaving some rather unpleasant mementos behind them and now the authorities are having to step in and clean up.

Comment

Winter tent camping

Howdy Dragon,

At least they're camping, and JohnJohn is selling shovels down at the sea-shore, I think! I'm glad you enlisted yourself in to camping, it's better than stamp collecting. Glad to see you on the boards!

Comment

Some camping areas here have a strict "Pack it in, pack it out!" policy.
                    Maybe those places on the Lochs should have Porta-potties and trashcans? If they do, and the campers are still "fouling their nest", they need some stiff fines and re-education!

Comment

Winter camping

While I really hate the cold, I love camping, even in the winter. I'm a Scoutaster for one of our local Boy Scout troops and we're planning on a short trip just after New Years. Some of the boys are balking at the trip because of the temp, but I've got 3-4 regulars that are up to the challenge.
                      As was said, have a good sleeping bag and pad. Dress in layers and drink plenty of water. You can dehydrate even in the winter.
                      Scott W. McClure
                      Photographer/Scoutmaster Troop 202
                      Eagle Scout-BSA/Order of the Arrow-Vigil Honor Member

"You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day and only so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either." The late Galen Rowell.

Comment

Winter tent camping.

Howdy Scott,
                        Good advice. Can't monkey around with mother nature!

Comment

I have a camping trip scheduled for the MLK holiday weekend, as a part of our fourth annual dual-sport motorcycle meet. As usual, a few of us stalwarts will be in tents. The first year, we saw a low of 24 degrees one night. Last year it got down to the low 30's, with rain - brrrr....

One thing I have found that really helps are those little chemical heat packets from WalMart's sporting goods section. I wear my pants when sleeping and out a heater pouch in each pocket, and a couple more under the sleeping bag. Helps keep me warm. They say they last '18 hours', but they still generate some warmth even 24 hours later!
                          Open them about an hour BEFORE you turn in though - takes them some time to really warm up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                            I have a camping trip scheduled for the MLK holiday weekend, as a part of our fourth annual dual-sport motorcycle meet. As usual, a few of us stalwarts will be in tents. The first year, we saw a low of 24 degrees one night. Last year it got down to the low 30's, with rain - brrrr.....
                            OUCH..the rain and cold are not fun.......

When I was backpacking in winter I used a down sleeping bag and slept on my clothes not in them and was always warm in the low 30's and my clothes were also warm when I put them on.
                            2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
                            2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
                            I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Working...
                            X