Car camping for two folks and large dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car camping for two folks and large dog

I have looked through a number of threads, but still looking for specific reco's for me, my wife and my large dog that likes to move around and stretch out. Looking for a 3 season car camping tent used mostly in the OH, PA, KY, TN, NC, and WV area. It is more often that we are warm than cold, and therefore ventilation is key. Many trips are whitewater kayaking trips, and therefore there is lots of gear.

Looking for reco's on size and models. Based on previous experience with these brands, I lean mostly toward Marmot, Big Agnes, and Mountain Hardwear, and currently looking at Halo, Wolf Mountain, Big House, and Corners in both 4 and 6.

Thoughts? Pros/Cons? Others?

I really like the features and design of the Halo. Not sure about the vestibule of the big house (do I always need to set it up even if dont need that much room, etc).

Thanks in advance.

Re: Car camping for two folks and large dog

Sounds like you are happy spending good money on these tents. They are also all going to be good quality from the names you've given. So I dont think the tent is the issue. How you use it sounds like the dillema. Given you want to have lots of gear and the dog I would be tending towards having a flexible camp set-up. Pick a tent that does its job (sleeping, dressing) and then shade screens, a good system of tarps etc. This gives you flexibility to only take the tent if that is all you need or to expand given the different scenario. I havent seen or used any of the tents you have described so i cant really vouch for them. As I said, judging by the brands, your not going to get a lemon so it really comes down to design. My 2 cents.
    Total night under canvas 2012: 22

Comment

I have the Halo 6 and like it. It is big and would be plenty big for 2 people and a dog. I can easily stand up and have to reach up to touch the top so it's probably over 7 feet tall in the middle. We've been in the rain and fairly high wind and it has done great. The only issue is the poles have bent some, but still work okay. I could probably send them back to Marmot if I wanted, but since they still work okay I haven't. They may have bent because I've set it up numerous times by myself and it is a little difficult. With 2 people it is very easy. I also have a Marmot limelight 4 which I like also, but it's smaller.

Comment

My suggestion is you get a larger tent than a two-person since it sounds like you will want to store some of your gear with you inside plus your dog. Here's a great source for affordable and not-so-afordable tents.

Comment

You're on the right track. You have listed great brands that don't let you down. Tents in this class (polyester) weigh around 25 pounds and sport anodized aluminum poles, lots of ventilation, plenty of vertical space, full coverage rainflys, vestibules, and lifetime guarantees. Include Sierra Designs and Mountain HardWear as well in your can-do list. A 6-person tent is right on, not too large and roomy enough to allow for the dog & your gear inside. Your focus on a quality product will actually save you money in the long run vs. cheaper tents that aren't as well made. Check Ebay and Amazon, etc. for competitive prices as well as higher production numbers mean better discounts on similar quality. Enjoy!
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
          X