• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are wool hats that much better?

Just curious, bc they're like $30 :p

Are wool hats that much better?

Howdy Virginia Camper,

Yes wool hats are 100% better than blends. However, if one shops around on the internet, that is where I do 100% of my camping shopping you can find wool hats a lot less expensive than $30. Check http://amazon.com to start. Wool absorbs heat from the top of the head better than blends when camping in the cold cool weather of winter, but they are useless in summer, duh! Another great shop is http://thevillagehatshop.com, if you are careful you can find great hats under $20. In the off season of winter, summer, that is when I serch for winter gear in the reduced sale areas of websites. Army/Navy surplus sites are a good source also. Wool is worth the price if you find yourself in cold weather. There is never a bad weather day, it's just different weather.

The trick is you have to shop around with your fingers and not your feet. Save your feet for camping! Wool works because it will keep you warm, even when a little damp or a lot damp, that is why there is wool on sheep.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-19-2008, 09:35 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Check your local "Army/Navy" stores and the surplus catalog sites for good deals on GI surplus - the wool 'jeep caps' (like Radar O'Riley wore on MASH) and watch caps are fairly cheap and effective! In winter, I wear a watchcap to bed in the tent - your noggin is a radiator, so keep it covered! You'll stay warmer.

Online sites I like:
      Cheaperthandirt.com
      Sportsmansguide.com
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
      X