Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bugs will be brutal this year

Originally posted by HogSnapper
    I grew up in Florida and the mosquitoes don't bother me. It's simple enough to just eat a lot of high sulfur foods like garlic and cabbage and use Deet repellent.

Whenever people complain about mosquitoes I just tell em they ain't seen nothin' 'til they go to the Everglades and see the black clouds dotting the horizon. I'm not speaking of weather clouds, mind you, I'm speaking of the black clouds of mosquitoes that roam the Glades. They are about 500 feet wide and 100 feet tall and dark enough to block the sun.
    HS, I know exactly what you're talking about, being a frequent visitor (having family) around Everglades City and it's environs. This is the same situation as the cedar swamps where I was raised, except the winter cold would knock 'em down until spring. No such mercy for SW Florida!!! Thank God for DEET, one of the most-tested and proven safe substances (besides aspartame I suppose) known to man.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
      I grew up in Florida and the mosquitoes don't bother me. It's simple enough to just eat a lot of high sulfur foods like garlic and cabbage and use Deet repellent.

Whenever people complain about mosquitoes I just tell em they ain't seen nothin' 'til they go to the Everglades and see the black clouds dotting the horizon. I'm not speaking of weather clouds, mind you, I'm speaking of the black clouds of mosquitoes that roam the Glades. They are about 500 feet wide and 100 feet tall and dark enough to block the sun.
      Unfortunately, I have big time allergies and when bitten by a mosquito, or any other bug for that matter, I end up with huge welts that itch uncontrollably. Like omegapd's daughter, I will scratch (usually in my sleep) and will look like I've got the measles or something else contagious.

My husband and other family members are always amazed at what happens when I am bit by something. It doesn't seem to matter if I use a whole can of Deep Woods Off all by myself, the bugs find some small area to bite.

At least we'll get caught up on a lot of the chores that really need to get done -- and it won't be a total loss if we're able to get in trips to the beach -- love the ocean! :D
      "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
      ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

o in and out of your tent or trailer regular just lets them in - they attach themselves to your clothes and come in on your person. Try to limit opening and closing the tent and trailer doors at night.

2. Sleep near a standing body of water will produce mosquitoes. Do not choose a campsite near swamps or small bodies of water that are or can easily become stagnant.

3. Have toys like rubber tires for swings and other items that collect water on your campsite only encourages the reproduction of mosquitoes. Empty all basins, toys, crevices and anything that can collect water around your campsite. Even if mosquitoes are a given, don't help them to reproduce.
        I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

Working...
        X