Kelty Trail Dome Footprint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelty Trail Dome Footprint

I just purchased a Kelty Trail Dome tent and the footprint that goes with it. My question is: "How do you use the footprint?" The clips in each corner are throwing me off. Do they secure to each corner tent peg or pole and exist to hold the footprint in place?

Thanks!

TS

Re: Kelty Trail Dome Footprint

I've never purchased a tent footprint, but from the photos I've seen, I think they are in fact intended to be used in the way you've described.

How do you like the Kelty Trail Dome? We considered the Trail Dome 6, but eventually bought the Hula House 6 instead. We've only used it once so far, but I really like it a lot - as long as my kids don't destroy it, it should serve us well for a long time.

Based on what I'd read here (and on other forums), I opted to buy a tarp instead of the Kelty footprint. The tarp is thicker (better protection) and in the case of the tent I bought, way less expensive (though I see that the trail dome footprint can be had online for a pretty reasonable price). The only downside is that tarps aren't necessarily sized to fit the tent EXACTLY, as the footprint of course should be. The Hula House 6 that I bought said it was 10'6" X 10'6", so I hunted around until I found a tarp that was a true "finished" 10' X 10' (harder than you might think, since almost all tarps are actually several inches smaller than their listed size, since the listed size is almost always the "cut size", not the "finished size").

I eventually bought this one:

http://www.mytarp.com/silver-brown-tarp-10x10.aspx

And fitted it with one of these at each corner, so that I could attach it to the four corner stakes (essentially accomplishing what you would with the clips on your Kelty footprint - I just happened to have a bunch of these laying around):

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

It fit perfectly.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

I like the idea of the tarp and tarp ball bungees. I will try that out, as well.

The tent is on the way, and I got it for a decent price, so I am hopeful it will be a good one for a number of years. My oldest two boys are going to use it for the first time on a Boy Scout camping trip next weekend. I'll teach them to unpack it, set it up, ventilate it, tear it down, and pack it up this week before they go. Hopefully it will be a winner!

Comment

There were no instructions on how to use your footprint in the box?

I have never had a manufacturers footprint. When I need one I use my mylar space blanket. Never needed to attach it to anything, either.

Just make sure any footprint you use is smaller than the area your tent covers.
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

The ones you buy that are designed for your tent attach at the stake points just like you guessed.
          Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Working...
          X