Tent Camping in Extreme Heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Camping in Extreme Heat

Facing this- the extreme heat and humidity we are going to have this week. Aside from spending lots of time in the water and the shade- how are you or have you kept cool in a tent in 80+ degree weather, even at night?
    We are heading out - and was curious of some others suggestions. We plan on spending lots of time at the beach/in the pool- and we also are bringing two fans to put inside out tent to help with air circulation at night. Any other suggestions? :cool:
    PS:We using a 6 man 3 Rooms Family Camping Tent.

I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Re: Tent Camping in Extreme Heat

Set your tent in as much natural shade as you can for the as much of the day as possible, especially the hottest part of the day. Erect tarps over your tent if there is no shade.

Once I have left my tent in the morning, I do not get back in it unless the weather turns bad or it is time for bed.

Drink a lot of water and keep your skin covered if you are in the sunlight and not in the water.

There is only so much you can do to mitigate the heat in the evening, but you might try draping wet towels a ways out, in front of your fans. Use any mesh panels to their highest extent, meaning do not zip over them with window/door panels.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

It's a sacrilege of a suggestion for all diehard tent campers here, I know, but a portable room air conditioner will work in a tent at night. I'm not talking about the cheesy cooler full of ice with a fan on top device -- I'm talking an indoor unit that's typically exhaust ducted through a window.

Most large family tents have a little ventilation door that's perfect for the exhaust duct and a drain tube. If the tent has the usual mesh roof you'll want to at least somewhat cover the mesh with bed sheets (under the rainfly) to help keep the cold air in. Just keep in mind that the bed sheets will wick any rain right through your rainfly. You could also just put a poly tarp over the top of your whole tent, but the tarp right on your tent will increase the heat in your tent during the day.

It does work, but only at night -- you'll fight a losing battle during the heat of the day. There are some write-ups of people modifying their tents to use window AC units, too. Pop-up tent trailers have air conditioning in them and owners typically report the same thing -- wonderful at night, but relatively worthless during the day. I have this type of room air conditioner for use during hurricane season in my house (my emergency generator can't power my central AC units). These units work great, but I admit I haven't tried it in my tents yet. I typically just avoid camping when it's too warm or too cold. I might have to do a test with my tent in the garage just for curiosity sake...
      Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
      READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

Much thanks for the advices. I agree that wet towels in front of the fans may give a hand. And absolutely a tarp should be prepared for I can not guarantee there would be a shade. Thanks again and wish u can enjoy camping.
        Last edited by zack0109; 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Air conditioner...I know it could serve a cool summer. But I think go out into the wild life, I would not take this.....Em..Im a little bit diehard tent campers,to some extent. It can not be denied that it's a good idea for some campers in hot summer. Thank you all the same. And look forward to hear about your test..

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
            check out this thread with the exact same title from last summer....
            http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...n-Extreme-Heat
            In the upper right hand part of the website, on the green bar, there is a search box. Helps finding things that have already been covered.
            Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Working...
            X