Hammock campoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammock campoing

So I have been seeing posts about people camping with hammocks. I am thinking of picking up an eno double nest. Use an tarp for a rainfly. What type of under quilts are you guys using? I would take a self inflating pad, since I have several. I figured either a sleeping bag or poncho liner/wool blanket for top quilts. If needed I could add an heavy duty emergency blanket underneath me.
    What's every body else doing?

Re: Hammock campoing

The under-quilt actually hangs underneath the hammock, creating dead air space and trapping copious amounts of heat. I would be surprised if ENO did not offer a quilt.

busere has an ENO, so I bet he will chime in soon.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

That sounds cool, I would love to see pics of every ones Hammock.
      Thanks Jack
      Thrift store tent
      Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

Over on the bushcraft USA forums, they LOVE their hammocks. A lot of them camp with a hammock and tarp except when its really cold, then they make a tarp shelter or something.
        Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

Ben was right! I'm in on this conversation! LOL!

ENO offers an underquilt that, as Ben stated, creates dead air space that traps heat. It also uses a wind-stop tech to block wind. It creats a hanging Bivy Bag if you will. If you're a stomach sleeper, hammocks are not for you. I've used mine in 20 degree weather with my 0 degree sleeping bag...it was warm...VERY warm. A lot of people out here use their therm-o-rest sleeping pads in them also. With a double nest, you'll have room for it...but not in the single nest.
          2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
            I have an ENO double with the ENO profly rain tarp and the ENO guardian bug net.

I added a 10x12 silnylon tarp to my system. I had my gf stitch it up and I got the material from Seattle Fabrics. I wanted something bigger than the ENO rain tarp so I had a dry place to make coffee and get out of the rain. I also wanted a second tarp for campgrounds so I could make a quick changing shelter so I don't scare anybody with my giant white butt cheeks. That's one of the problems with most hammock setups - no privacy - so I carry along the second tarp and it serves multiple purposes and it weighs less than 1lb, being silnylon.

For warmth, I started off using an Exped DownMat 9 Pump DLX which is 2lbs and 72x20x3.5". I got it at REI for $200. I liked the idea that I had something that I could still go to ground with in places that had no trees but I never use it anymore. I also carried a poncho liner for a blanket. Since then, I got a "New River" underquilt from http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm It's plenty warm down into the 20's. For colder temps, I took a full size down comforter from my house and cut it in half and sewed it up. It's actually quite small. I can camp in below zero temps with both the underquilt and the down comforter.

Arrowhead also has dynaglide adjustable ridge lines, amsteel whoopie slings, some nice webbing suspension lines and I bought a down pillow from them too. They are a good company to work with. If you are trying to shave ounces then amsteel and dynaglide is wonderful stuff and arrowhead seems to have a big selection.
            Thanks for the very informative post. Where did you pick yours up?

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
              Ben was right! I'm in on this conversation! LOL!

ENO offers an underquilt that, as Ben stated, creates dead air space that traps heat. It also uses a wind-stop tech to block wind. It creats a hanging Bivy Bag if you will. If you're a stomach sleeper, hammocks are not for you. I've used mine in 20 degree weather with my 0 degree sleeping bag...it was warm...VERY warm. A lot of people out here use their therm-o-rest sleeping pads in them also. With a double nest, you'll have room for it...but not in the single nest.
              I have always wanted to try the hammock out, and this is very good info. Thanks for that. I might have picked up the wrong one without that info.
              Happy Trails!

IK

http://www.everything-about-camping.com

Comment

Summer's coming, hammock camping season____^…^___
                I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

Working...
                X