Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My coldest weekend yet and a great Scouts trip!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My coldest weekend yet and a great Scouts trip!

For starters, let me tell everyone that I grew up outside of Miami, FL and now live in Georgia- so my coldest trip may be mild compared to a lot of yours.

But, this weekend was our Scouts annual Shotgun Weekend, where the boys get their badges for marksmanship over a 2 day camp out. We started with about 35 Scouts and 7 WebeloII Cub Scouts on their first camping trip with the Boy Scouts. Saturday, the highs were in the 50's with 30mph winds and then the bottom dropped out that night. When I woke up Sunday morning, the temps with the wind chill were 17 degrees and there was frost inside and outside of my tent. Surprisingly, I was actually quite warm with a couple of layers of clothes, a decent sleeping bag, and a very small 1 person tent.

About 10 kids packed up and left Saturday night, but the ones who stayed got an extra little badge for camping below freezing temps. I was proud to say that my son, one of the WebeloIIs never even mentioned going home. He was born with a disorder where his bones did not form properly as a young child and stuck it out much better than many of the other Scouts. So, I'm a proud dad and a proud Den Leader of Pack 62 in Tifton, GA!

Just wanted to share. I love this site and visit it all the time. Tent camping is my passion in life....if I could figure out a way to make a living doing it, I'd quit my job tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	72480

Troop/Pack 62- my son is the smallest one in the gray sweatshirt.

EricW.

Re: My coldest weekend yet and a great Scouts trip!

Good for you and your son too. Keep him interested. The scouting programs still build character into our young men. I am the proud father of an Eagle Scout and I am proud of the programs I helped put in place for 18 years as an Assistant Scoutmaster. I was a Webelos leader for 3 years and served as both for 3 years and I'm glad to have done it.

Comment

17 degrees is cold! Congrats on the successful trip; looking forward to reading more reports.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

omegapd, welcome to the campsite! Glad you decided to park rear and stay awhile! 17F is mighty cold in any part of the country come hills or beans! Hope your stay with us will be a long and continued camping journey! Lookin towards the future!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome!

Comment

Hey, I missed this thread earlier, somehow. Congrats to your Scouts for toughing it out in temps like that. I think it is awesome.
            Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Working...
            X