Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnum Canvas or Cabelas Alaknak

Hi
    I have been camping for some years but always used a 6 person dome tent. As my boys are getting taller,we need to upgrade to a tent that will serve as a 4 season tent not just 3 seasons.
    All our camping is done is northern Minnesota and southern Ontario. I am really torn between a canvas wall tent and the Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak. From a cost stand point, the 12x12 Alaknak is almost as much as the 12x14 canvas wall tent. Western Wall tents is having a big sale on their Magnum tents, almost 35% off.

I like the looks of the Alaknak , all the options that come with it including the vestibule , its also very easy to set up by one person. On the other hand I know how comfortable the canvas is. There is just a calming effect that can not achieved being in a synthetic tent.

I guess I wanted to get your opinion and experience with using either tent.
    Thank you

I guess I wanted to get your experience

Re: Magnum Canvas or Cabelas Alaknak

I have the Alaknak 12 X 20 and can say it is a good tent. I was looking for a canvas tent when I got this Alaknak due to not finding a canvas tent I liked for the price I wanted to spend. It has been and still is a great tent for me. I am glad I got it. I do like canvas and think it would be better in some ways but I will not give up my Alaknak. I just love it too much and have seen what type of weather conditions it can handle. It also has a sewn in floor which most large canvas tents don’t have. I can tell you pros and cons for both but it would be very long list to put up on here. It did take me three months to decide on what tent I was getting. But I think in my case I made the right choice for me. Just look at the tent you are thinking about and see how it is put together. Look for things like single, double, or triple stitching in stress points. Look at the quality of fabric or the type of doors and windows. Like the Alaknak windows have three layers. On the out side there is a soft plastic like window that will keep water out but rolls up out of the way when you want fresh air. Then it has a nice screen, and on the inside there is another panel you have to keep light out or open it for light to come in. Just really take a close look at whatever tent you are going to buy.

Comment

I ended up getting the Alaknak 12x12 and took out winter camping a couple of times already. you are right, it withstands to the weather great. the only thing I have not figured out yet is the mesh covered triangular vent on top of the door, I need to add a flap to close it in the winter.

Comment

Any chance we can get some pics of your setup?
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

For the screen over the door you can do a lot of different things. But what you can do is picking up some fabric (can get from a craft store, and Wal-Mart even sells fabric, or use old cloths or something), cut it to the shape you want. Then make little cloth pockets from small scraps put magnets in them. Sew the pockets shut and sew them to my new cloth. Then when you want to put it up over the mesh you can put your new cloth with magnets on the outside of the screen and use other magnets on the inside. It holds it up and can be adjusted to let little air or a lot in. Make sure your magnets are strong enough to hold up the fabric but don’t get something like some super strong rare earth magnets. They might damage your vent screen.

I would put pic’s of my set-up on here for you to see but I just never had taken any. I will not be going back out until April but will get some then. Everything is packed away. But you can find a few Vid’s on Youtube of this tent.

Comment

That is a great idea to use the magnets. Thank you.
            I have a couple of pictures that I need to download and will post them this afternoon.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0538.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	69485Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0542.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	69486Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0534.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	69487 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0535.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	69483Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0536.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	69484
              Here is a few pic's of what we had with us on 03/21/2012 to 03/24/2012 I couldn't take everything do to only having the small car for this short trip. But we got what we had to fit. We also was not allowed to have a fire due to high fire risk.

Comment

I do put the table on the other side of the tent when we have the stove in place. You can see the place under the table and chair where the floor unzips so you can put your stove there and the pipe vent area above it. I also put the cots in different arrangements when we have more people and cots. Plus sometimes the big table is outside. But it all depends on how many people we have with us and so on.

Comment

WOW! And I thought I had a big tent (10x14)! Next time I'm accused of setting up a "circus" when camping, I'll have to bring up the YouTube video of this tent on my phone. You and I definitely have similar attitudes/styles of tent camping! You have a great setup there.
                  Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
                  READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Internetpilot View Post
                    WOW! And I thought I had a big tent (10x14)! Next time I'm accused of setting up a "circus" when camping.
                    To each his own. If you the one setting it up, paying for it, and camping in it, who cares what someone else thinks. I will be posting a check list for a car camping trip to make sure I am not missing nothing. You two (internet and Nick) as well as other car campers will be welcome to add your input.
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                    X