My one nite camp out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My one nite camp out

Went to the lake yesterday. Had a few bites but only caught a couple of carp. Actually I think it was the same one. Didn't get any catfish but wasn't really expecting to. I was figuring it would be too cold for them.

Temps did drop a bit. My little tent does hold the heat in absolutely no wind, but this morning about 6 there was a slight breeze that was blowing right through the mesh above the door and at the back. I am thinking I will save up for a four season tent now, hopefully canvas.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the site.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2707.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	72476

Name:	100_2711.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	72475

The water is way low. All the sticks behind my tent are normally completely submerged. Hoping for a lot of rain this upcoming spring.

WT
    "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Nights spent out in 2014: 1

Re: My one nite camp out

Don't forget to look on CL for bargains. BTW, how high is the water supposed to be in that "pond"?

Comment

Here is what it should look like. Last week I camped about where there lower X is, last night, at the upper X. Last I read, I think it is at least 40' low. I drove down the boat ramp and when I hit dirt, still had a ways to go before I found the water. We really need the rain out here.

Name:	Twin Buttes.JPG
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	69421

WT
      "It's better to have that and not need it than it is to need it and not have it" - Captain Woodrow F. Call

Comment

Wow, your pond is pretty durn low. Still, it was a camping trip and that's nearly always a good thing.
        Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Nice! looks very peaceful & relaxing.
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I did get to relax out there. Had a long week and needed the break. Was nice to be out away from it all and just sit by the water listening to the ducks and cranes. Would have liked to have been there a couple of nights but it is a good little drive from here and would've been dark when I got there if I'd left Friday night.

All of the lakes in this area are low like this. The drought started little over a year and a half ago if I remember right. We have had a little bit of rain here and there. At least enought to refill the city pond here in town. It was so dry that they were putting in reclaimed water just to keep the fish alive. On an upside to it though, we did get 10" of snow today. Maybe it will make it's way down there. I know 10" of snow isn't a lot in terms of actual water, but right now every bit will help. We got out and built a couple of snowmen that were fairly big. I didn't measure but they were around 9' tall. Kids had a blast and we were drawing all kinds of attention with using a wheelbarrow, shovel, and a ladder...LOL.

WT

Comment

Happy you had a good time! Gotta enjoy life when you can, thanks for sharing and being a part of CF!
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by West Texan View Post
                Went to the lake yesterday. Had a few bites but only caught a couple of carp. Actually I think it was the same one. Didn't get any catfish but wasn't really expecting to. I was figuring it would be too cold for them.

Temps did drop a bit. My little tent does hold the heat in absolutely no wind, but this morning about 6 there was a slight breeze that was blowing right through the mesh above the door and at the back. I am thinking I will save up for a four season tent now, hopefully canvas.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the site.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]3326[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3325[/ATTACH]

The water is way low. All the sticks behind my tent are normally completely submerged. Hoping for a lot of rain this upcoming spring.

WT
                Looks like a really good time. Where exactly was this place?

Comment

Was this in Texas? I miss camping/fishing in Texas. I've been stuck in Florida for the past 20-ish years, and freshwater fishing is just horrible here (especially without a boat). Just when I find a decent fishing spot on a Florida river or lake that doesn't have a tangle of weeds all along the bank, a big alligator will come in and take over the area. :(
                  Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
                  READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

Working...
                  X